Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kimmelweck wrote:
17 May 2021, 6:34pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 May 2021, 9:31pm
Great Blue Herons are beautiful birds.
Yeah great blue herons are cool. I remember when they were a pretty rare sight around here 20 or 30 years ago. Now I see them just about every time I go fishing on the Erie Canal or local ponds. Unfortunately they are part of the life cycle of a certain parasite that results in many of our panfish (especially bluegills) having a big yellow worm the size and shape of a kernel of corn embedded in their flesh. The parasite larvae live in snails, bluegills eat the snails, and when the herons grab the bluegills, the parasite lodges in their throats and lays eggs. When the herons dip their heads in the water to grab another fish, they release parasite eggs that hatch and find a new snail host. And the cycle continues. It’s totally specific to the great blue herons. Used to be able to take home a few bluegills for a nice little fish fry, but ever since the birds made a comeback, 95% of the bluegills will have the worms in them and they aren’t worth keeping. It’s pretty gross.
That sounds pretty nasty.

BostonBeaneater

Chappaquiddick
WhatsApp Image 2021-05-20 at 10.21.30 PM.jpeg

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 May 2021, 10:23pm
Chappaquiddick

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-20 at 10.21.30 PM.jpeg
Hello,

That looks like a fun run!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Charles Darwin approves.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
26 May 2021, 1:01pm
Charles Darwin approves.

I once watched a person feeding a bear marshmallows. He was throwing them and the bear ate them and kept walking towards the guy. At about 10 feet he realized it was a bad idea and tossed the whole bag to the side and tan to his car. I was just a kid and could see this was a bad idea. People are dumb.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

A couple pics from my fishing excursion yesterday. I was kneeling behind the tree in the upper left of the first photo when I caught and released this nice little 10-inch rainbow trout.

ClearCreek.jpg
ClearCreek.jpg (194.38 KiB) Viewed 1857 times

RainbowTrout.jpg
RainbowTrout.jpg (172.67 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

And a few more pics. There were wildflowers everywhere. Such a beautiful day.

Flowers1.jpg
Flowers1.jpg (157.08 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

Flowers2.jpg
Flowers2.jpg (194.65 KiB) Viewed 1856 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

A couple more. If I was 7 years old I would have been all over this school of tadpoles with a net and bucket.

Flowers3.jpg
Flowers3.jpg (109.73 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

Tadpoles.jpg
Tadpoles.jpg (189.41 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Great pics Kimmel. I remember one time as a kid finding this little pond in the woods near "the mean old lady's" property. The legend was she had two big dogs and carried a shotgun. Anyway it was early spring and this little pond was frozen over but you could see tadpoles swimming about under the ice, pretty cool thing to see as a kid

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 5:58pm
Great pics Kimmel. I remember one time as a kid finding this little pond in the woods near "the mean old lady's" property. The legend was she had two big dogs and carried a shotgun. Anyway it was early spring and this little pond was frozen over but you could see tadpoles swimming about under the ice, pretty cool thing to see as a kid
Thanks Rev. There were several huge pods of tadpoles in one nearly-dry branch of this stream. Must have been a million of the little buggers in a 10ft x 20ft stretch. I was always drawn to spring puddles full of them as a kid. Yeah, to see them under the ice would have been cool.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 5:38pm
A couple pics from my fishing excursion yesterday. I was kneeling behind the tree in the upper left of the first photo when I caught and released this nice little 10-inch rainbow trout.
Very nice pictures, looks like a fun trip! Wife and I enjoy the trout fishing, but we release as well.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 6:10pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Jun 2021, 5:38pm
Very nice pictures, looks like a fun trip! Wife and I enjoy the trout fishing, but we release as well.
Thanks Sparky. It was my first trip down to the trout streams in a few years and I usually just fish occasionally for panfish or bass in the canal or river 5 minutes away. It takes less effort but isn’t nearly as much fun. It was great to sit by the stream and listen to the water and birds.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

We had the cutest little baby deer in our front yard this morning, but I didn't get a picture. Scout also wanted to destroy it.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

BostonBeaneater

JennyB wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 11:45am
We had the cutest little baby deer in our front yard this morning, but I didn't get a picture. Scout also wanted to destroy it.
Was it wobbly legged? I saw a very young one a few years back who appeared to be very new to the walking game.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 9:23pm
JennyB wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 11:45am
Was it wobbly legged? I saw a very young one a few years back who appeared to be very new to the walking game.
No, a little past that point but still so cute!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy