Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2022, 7:13pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 May 2022, 5:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2022, 1:25pm
revbob wrote:
19 May 2022, 1:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2022, 12:52pm
Spotted on a walk or can that be seen from your yard?
Im visting family in NY. There is a family of foxes in a burrow thst goes under my sister's driveway. They just run around all day. Those pics were taken at my mom's old place. They have been very difficult to get pics of. There's 4 pups or whatever they are called and two adults. The pups are quick to flee if you get too close.
That's fantastic. Baby foxes, btw, are kits.

The Boss' sister lives on a farm in Saskatchewan and has a reputation for taking in any and all strays, which neighbours take advantage of. A few years ago, a neighbour brought her an orphaned baby coyote. He fit right in with all the other animals, slept indoors at night, caused no more problems than the dogs. His first spring once he was an adult, he took off and they haven't seen him since. Just an adorable little bugger.
Beautiful animals. Have always had a family of foxes (or families) round the back garden and they are always a joy to behold. Broke my heart a couple of years ago when a local newsletter dropped through the letterbox and one of the lead stories was the fox "problem" in the area. None as far as I'm concerned. Though still plentiful, i have noticed a significant drop off in numbers past couple of years, i initially attributed this to covid as people were home and spending more time in their gardens but there's still no sign of a pick up and feeling quite sad about that.

Edit: i obviously am referring to foxes as don't have coyotes round these parts just yet!
Yup. I understand how foxes can be a problem—like any wildlife, really—but they are so utterly beautiful and doglike enough that it's impossible for me not to be wholly enchanted.
My neighbour, apart from being afraid of them, says they dig up her lawn and ransack her flower beds. For me, having varied wild life is more important than manicured lawns and colourful plants, but I'm probably a minority there. Mind you, they do make some racket during mating season, though i don't recall that lasting all that long.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Foxes are pretty neat, I can't say I've seen them around where I live, just coyotes, but I wouldn't doubt they're out there.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2022, 7:13pm
Low Down Low wrote:
19 May 2022, 5:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2022, 1:25pm
revbob wrote:
19 May 2022, 1:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 May 2022, 12:52pm
Spotted on a walk or can that be seen from your yard?
Im visting family in NY. There is a family of foxes in a burrow thst goes under my sister's driveway. They just run around all day. Those pics were taken at my mom's old place. They have been very difficult to get pics of. There's 4 pups or whatever they are called and two adults. The pups are quick to flee if you get too close.
That's fantastic. Baby foxes, btw, are kits.

The Boss' sister lives on a farm in Saskatchewan and has a reputation for taking in any and all strays, which neighbours take advantage of. A few years ago, a neighbour brought her an orphaned baby coyote. He fit right in with all the other animals, slept indoors at night, caused no more problems than the dogs. His first spring once he was an adult, he took off and they haven't seen him since. Just an adorable little bugger.
Beautiful animals. Have always had a family of foxes (or families) round the back garden and they are always a joy to behold. Broke my heart a couple of years ago when a local newsletter dropped through the letterbox and one of the lead stories was the fox "problem" in the area. None as far as I'm concerned. Though still plentiful, i have noticed a significant drop off in numbers past couple of years, i initially attributed this to covid as people were home and spending more time in their gardens but there's still no sign of a pick up and feeling quite sad about that.

Edit: i obviously am referring to foxes as don't have coyotes round these parts just yet!
Yup. I understand how foxes can be a problem—like any wildlife, really—but they are so utterly beautiful and doglike enough that it's impossible for me not to be wholly enchanted.
This is how I feel.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Crap photo but I was stoked when this little feller suddenly alighted by my window and sat still long enough to get a snap away. This is the first time I've actually ever seen a bullfinch around my parts so it's really made my day.
20220615_152547.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dagnabbit, another racoon under the deck. He’s by himself, so I’ll leave him be for today, but if he’s going to make this a new base, I’ll turn the hose on him tomorrow morning. I’ve also been stomping around on the deck, to let him know that this isn’t a great location.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 9:53am
Dagnabbit, another racoon under the deck. He’s by himself, so I’ll leave him be for today, but if he’s going to make this a new base, I’ll turn the hose on him tomorrow morning. I’ve also been stomping around on the deck, to let him know that this isn’t a great location.
Try blasting some music too. I here raccoons hate SWANS.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 10:28am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 9:53am
Try blasting some music too. I here raccoons hate SWANS.
Given the pain in the ass they've become, I suspect they'd love Swans. Lemme rummage thru Tom's favourites to find something we'll all hate.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Low Down Low wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 10:36am
Crap photo but I was stoked when this little feller suddenly alighted by my window and sat still long enough to get a snap away. This is the first time I've actually ever seen a bullfinch around my parts so it's really made my day.

20220615_152547.jpg
Nice.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Mimi wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 11:17am
Low Down Low wrote:
15 Jun 2022, 10:36am

20220615_152547.jpg
Nice.
Just wish i had a phone could do justice to the subject! Memo to get a lead for my digital camera so i can charge it up again. Saw a pair of goldfinches down the back of garden earlier but had skedaddled by time I got near them. Things looking up here for a change!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Went outside to do some yard chores and took a look and he's gone. All my stomping and perhaps the noise of the rower inspired him to flee. There is a chance he wormed his way around to a different section of the deck, but I can't access it nor is my ladder tall enough to see.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 1:20pm
Went outside to do some yard chores and took a look and he's gone. All my stomping and perhaps the noise of the rower inspired him to flee. There is a chance he wormed his way around to a different section of the deck, but I can't access it nor is my ladder tall enough to see.
He's probably on his lunch break, he'll be back. :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 8:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got a hose!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 8:14pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got a hose!
Any updates on the latest racoon invasion?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
22 Jun 2022, 2:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Jun 2022, 8:14pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I've got a hose!
Any updates on the latest racoon invasion?
No new incursions as far as I know. The last couple days I've installed more of those plastic spike strips to various posts they could climb up, as well as under the glass partitions. Unless they leap up and over the glass—I think they could but aren't normally jumpers—I've blocked things off pretty well now. Our deck looks kinda BDSM now, tho.

Joe Public
Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rolla

Post by Joe Public »

The resident groundhog here at IKEA...
You gotta give the people something good to read...