Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Low Down Low »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 2:20pm
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 2:16pm
BitterTom wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 2:05pm
So this year I've been absent, for many reasons good and bad but in that time I've become borderline obsessed with birdwatching, signed up to Birda, see below (get me, 58 unique sightings).

Long and short, expect many poor, grainy, unidentifiable pictures from me in this thread.
The more the merrier and as the undisputed champion of the poor, grainy, unidentifiable picture, I heartily welcome a challenger to my long held title.
Nothing too special but this beauty of a Mistle Thrush was a first for me!
Stunning bird. Even better in the spring when they're in full voice. Glad you specified what it is as can never tell the difference between a song and a mistle thrush.

BitterTom
Unknown Immortal

Post by BitterTom »

Low Down Low wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 2:35pm
BitterTom wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
BitterTom wrote:
So this year I've been absent, for many reasons good and bad but in that time I've become borderline obsessed with birdwatching, signed up to Birda, see below (get me, 58 unique sightings).

Long and short, expect many poor, grainy, unidentifiable pictures from me in this thread.
The more the merrier and as the undisputed champion of the poor, grainy, unidentifiable picture, I heartily welcome a challenger to my long held title.
Stunning bird. Even better in the spring when they're in full voice. Glad you specified what it is as can never tell the difference between a song and a mistle thrush.
To be honest I had no clue which it was either! Thankfully the other users of Birda chirped in (god awful pun sounded better in my head!) and clarified the difference!

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

BitterTom wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 2:36pm
Low Down Low wrote:
08 Dec 2023, 2:35pm
BitterTom wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
BitterTom wrote:

To be honest I had no clue which it was either! Thankfully the other users of Birda chirped in (god awful pun sounded better in my head!) and clarified the difference!
It was a bit of a cheep pun alright tbf! I've been taking an interest in the subject for about 15 years now I'd say and I'm still hopeless at the id'ing. I started on trees a little while back and that's probably even harder. I'm in it for the long haul though.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Crap pic time again. A nice brisk walk along the seafront today, came across this chap absolutely gorging himself on fish while the gulls kept me passably entertained for 20 minutes fighting over the scraps.
20240130_162743.jpg
20240130_162743.jpg
Attachments
20240130_163405.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 6:21pm
Crap pic time again. A nice brisk walk along the seafront today, came across this chap absolutely gorging himself on fish while the gulls kept me passably entertained for 20 minutes fighting over the scraps.

20240130_162743.jpg

20240130_162743.jpg
Gulls have solid avian hobo cred. :approve:
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 6:30pm
Low Down Low wrote:

20240130_162743.jpg

20240130_162743.jpg
Yeah, them and the corvids, I'd say. Those feckers would nick absolutely anything that wasn't firmly nailed down.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

20240130_162743.jpg

20240130_162743.jpg
Yeah, them and the corvids, I'd say. Those feckers would nick absolutely anything that wasn't firmly nailed down.
I think I've told this story but it was was such an amazing thing to witness that I'll share again anyway. When The Boss and I lived in NC, our apartment complex was beside a park that had a decent-sized pond. We'd go for walks and feed the birds. We noticed that there was a pecking order, so to speak. Canada geese got first dibs on the bread, followed by ducks, then gulls. The ducks and geese would form their own clusters, with the gulls waiting on the sidelines. One day, tho, a gull got a little aggressive and went after some bread near a goose, dunking the goose in the process. Almost immediately—like within two seconds—a squadron of geese from *across the pond*—not the geese who were feeding—took flight and zeroed in on the gulls and chased them off, pursuing them even as they took flight. The whole thing was so fast it was like all the geese had headsets on. It was like a war movie, where an air squadron bails out our heroes who are besieged. One of the most bizarre nature things I've ever seen.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

20240130_162743.jpg

20240130_162743.jpg
I think I've told this story but it was was such an amazing thing to witness that I'll share again anyway. When The Boss and I lived in NC, our apartment complex was beside a park that had a decent-sized pond. We'd go for walks and feed the birds. We noticed that there was a pecking order, so to speak. Canada geese got first dibs on the bread, followed by ducks, then gulls. The ducks and geese would form their own clusters, with the gulls waiting on the sidelines. One day, tho, a gull got a little aggressive and went after some bread near a goose, dunking the goose in the process. Almost immediately—like within two seconds—a squadron of geese from *across the pond*—not the geese who were feeding—took flight and zeroed in on the gulls and chased them off, pursuing them even as they took flight. The whole thing was so fast it was like all the geese had headsets on. It was like a war movie, where an air squadron bails out our heroes who are besieged. One of the most bizarre nature things I've ever seen.
that's amazing

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 7:22pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

20240130_162743.jpg

20240130_162743.jpg
I'd love to have witnessed that. As hard as i try, i just can't love gulls. As aggressive as they can be though, they're not half as bad as these guys below. A few weeks back one particularly impatient starling nipped up and tried to grab my sandwich in transit between hand and mouth, nicking my finger and scaring the shit out of me in the process. Unlike the gulls, though, i can't not like the pesky little blighters.
20230325_165406.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 8:31pm
I'd love to have witnessed that. As hard as i try, i just can't love gulls. As aggressive as they can be though, they're not half as bad as these guys below. A few weeks back one particularly impatient starling nipped up and tried to grab my sandwich in transit between hand and mouth, nicking my finger and scaring the shit out of me in the process. Unlike the gulls, though, i can't not like the pesky little blighters.

20230325_165406.jpg
I associate gulls with KFC because in my hometown there was always a cluster of gulls hanging out in the KFC parking lot. But, really, they're just more aggressive pigeons.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 8:43pm
Low Down Low wrote:

20230325_165406.jpg
I associate gulls with KFC because in my hometown there was always a cluster of gulls hanging out in the KFC parking lot. But, really, they're just more aggressive pigeons.
Gulls just love fast food. I remember staying in Blackpool once and being genuinely alarmed at how ginormous some of those fuckers were. I was wakened one morning by a very loud knocking, which i initially assumed to be the bedroom door, but which i subsequently discovered was the work of a large and obviously deranged gull repeatedly banging his head against the window. Definitely the closest I've come to the full Hitchcockian experience!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 8:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

20230325_165406.jpg
Gulls just love fast food. I remember staying in Blackpool once and being genuinely alarmed at how ginormous some of those fuckers were. I was wakened one morning by a very loud knocking, which i initially assumed to be the bedroom door, but which i subsequently discovered was the work of a large and obviously deranged gull repeatedly banging his head against the window. Definitely the closest I've come to the full Hitchcockian experience!
Clearly, he saw some pizza on the counter from the night before.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 9:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

20230325_165406.jpg
More likely a chicken nugget or the remnants of a battered sausage. Pizza would be very upmarket for Blackpool.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 9:14pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Jan 2024, 9:02pm
Low Down Low wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

20230325_165406.jpg
More likely a chicken nugget or the remnants of a battered sausage. Pizza would be very upmarket for Blackpool.
Thatcher promised much more than she delivered.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I love birds but I hate gulls.