Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:07pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 11:45am
Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 11:24am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 10:11am
The warm and early spring has meant our Green Mile mouse trap has been busy. Once it's truly warmed up and we're doing spring yard work, I'll be inspecting the foundation again to look for entry points. :sad:
We only know of two incidences where a mouse traveled above the basement, and that's because one of the cats got 'em.
I don't think I've ever seen a mouse at my current house - I've lived here for about 24 years. I remember setting a few snap traps in my parents' basement when I was around 13. Killed maybe 2 or 3 mice with them - one "kill" left a pool of blood about 6 inches across on the basement floor. Not the usual "neck snap and dead" situation. It was pretty gross. Since then, mice avoid me. :meh:
That's why we're using the electrocution method. Supposedly it's less painful—it probably doesn't kill instantly, but I hope that it shocks them so badly that they don't actually feel anything—but it is gorefree.
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:20pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The warm and early spring has meant our Green Mile mouse trap has been busy. Once it's truly warmed up and we're doing spring yard work, I'll be inspecting the foundation again to look for entry points. :sad:
We only know of two incidences where a mouse traveled above the basement, and that's because one of the cats got 'em.
I don't think I've ever seen a mouse at my current house - I've lived here for about 24 years. I remember setting a few snap traps in my parents' basement when I was around 13. Killed maybe 2 or 3 mice with them - one "kill" left a pool of blood about 6 inches across on the basement floor. Not the usual "neck snap and dead" situation. It was pretty gross. Since then, mice avoid me. :meh:
That's why we're using the electrocution method. Supposedly it's less painful—it probably doesn't kill instantly, but I hope that it shocks them so badly that they don't actually feel anything—but it is gorefree.
Whats the brand you're using again Doc? I k ow someone having problems but thry dont like the snaps/glue nor poison

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Now, rats on the other hand...

Occasionally, mostly in the summer*, I'll see a big fat rat dart across the street in my neighborhood (never in my house, thank god). I've caught a few of them in a live trap in my garden over the years, and then released them in the park a few miles away. The squeal of a trapped rat is one of the most disgusting sounds you'll ever hear. It's primally repulsive. I'd much prefer mice.

*I saw a rat squished in the street a hundred feet from my house during a warm spell this past January. I think the snow plow subsequently dumped the carcass on one of my neighbors' lawns.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Whats the brand you're using again Doc? I k ow someone having problems but thry dont like the snaps/glue nor poison
This is what we have: https://www.victorpest.com/victor-elect ... rap-cm250s
"Ain't no party like an S Club party!'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:40pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Occasionally, mostly in the summer*, I'll see a big fat rat dart across the street in my neighborhood (never in my house, thank god). I've caught a few of them in a live trap in my garden over the years, and then released them in the park a few miles away. The squeal of a trapped rat is one of the most disgusting sounds you'll ever hear. It's primally repulsive. I'd much prefer mice.

*I saw a rat squished in the street a hundred feet from my house during a warm spell this past January. I think the snow plow subsequently dumped the carcass on one of my neighbors' lawns.
On a walk last week thru a bit of a scuzzy neighbourhood, I saw a medium-sized rat rooting thru someone's garbage. As much as anything, it's their confidence that's unsettling.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:46pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

On a walk last week thru a bit of a scuzzy neighbourhood, I saw a medium-sized rat rooting thru someone's garbage. As much as anything, it's their confidence that's unsettling.
I'm 0.9 miles from the upper Niagara River. I think our neighborhood rats originate from there. I remember as a young kid, 5-7 years old, late 70s, my parents would take me to the river and let me hunt for crayfish under rocks. Especially as the sun was setting, there would be rats all over the place, dozens of them, running around the rip-rap rocks along the river bank. Their numbers have been greatly reduced by the required use of garbage totes instead of plastic bags. I can only imagine my parents back then, looking at each other and saying, yeah, let's get the kid away from the rats and go home.
Shoot straight for once, you Army pukes. - Lt. Col. Andrew Tanner, USAF

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 12:46pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I'm 0.9 miles from the upper Niagara River. I think our neighborhood rats originate from there. I remember as a young kid, 5-7 years old, late 70s, my parents would take me to the river and let me hunt for crayfish under rocks. Especially as the sun was setting, there would be rats all over the place, dozens of them, running around the rip-rap rocks along the river bank. Their numbers have been greatly reduced by the required use of garbage totes instead of plastic bags. I can only imagine my parents back then, looking at each other and saying, yeah, let's get the kid away from the rats and go home.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I'm always astounded by how people approach raccoons. They're not teddy bears. They carry rabies.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 10:03am
I'm always astounded by how people approach raccoons. They're not teddy bears. They carry rabies.
Their shit is toxic, too. When we had our raccoon problem a few years back and there was raccoon shit on our deck, we masked and gloved up when cleaning it up.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 10:42am
Mimi wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 10:03am
Their shit is toxic, too. When we had our raccoon problem a few years back and there was raccoon shit on our deck, we masked and gloved up when cleaning it up.
Smart!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 3:44pm
I could watch that for hours, mesmerising.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was considering him for father of the year right up until the 0:16 mark where he stepped on one of the poor babies necks. :naughty:
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
31 Mar 2024, 9:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I was considering him for father of the year right up until the 0:16 mark where he stepped on one of the poor babies necks. :naughty:
You gotta teach em young