Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2022, 8:36am
Woke up at 5 am to scratching on our new lower-rooftop deck, just off our bedroom. And the cats crowded around windows and the door. Racoons. Momma and two younger ones. Even better, the two younger ones went under a tarped sofa out there. Momma was either trying to get them to leave or just couldn't fit under there herself. No idea if any of them are still there and I ain't going out and pulling back the tarp. So I'm waiting for one of Olaf's cousins to come by and assess what has to be done.
Cute but they can be aggressive. Do you have a long piece of conduit (PVC or EMT) or a paint roller extension handle you could stand far enough back and try to lift the edge of the tarp to see if they're gone?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Woke up at 5 am to scratching on our new lower-rooftop deck, just off our bedroom. And the cats crowded around windows and the door. Racoons. Momma and two younger ones. Even better, the two younger ones went under a tarped sofa out there. Momma was either trying to get them to leave or just couldn't fit under there herself. No idea if any of them are still there and I ain't going out and pulling back the tarp. So I'm waiting for one of Olaf's cousins to come by and assess what has to be done.
I doubt they're still there, but I'd use a long stick to lift the tarp just in case.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
12 May 2022, 9:00am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Cute but they can be aggressive. Do you have a long piece of conduit (PVC or EMT) or a paint roller extension handle you could stand far enough back and try to lift the edge of the tarp to see if they're gone?
I ain't touching that shit. The layout of the deck means I'd have limited maneuverability in case shit went sideways. And my hunch is that they're still there given that it's daytime and that's a good place to snooze until nighttime. As far as I can tell, tho, they weren't there last night or before, as neither the Boss or I (or the cats) heard them. My hope is that it was just a novelty exploration, not setting up shop.

(Annoyingly, too, is that we're waiting on a gate for the deck. That would probably dissuade them as it's glass, like the deck, so not a lot of wiggle room or ease for climbing. Once it's all done, tho, I'll be spraying the staircase with a vinegar solution, which is supposed to make things unpalatable.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
12 May 2022, 9:14am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I doubt they're still there, but I'd use a long stick to lift the tarp just in case.
I'm happy to pay someone to do that just in case.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2022, 9:20am
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I ain't touching that shit. The layout of the deck means I'd have limited maneuverability in case shit went sideways. And my hunch is that they're still there given that it's daytime and that's a good place to snooze until nighttime. As far as I can tell, tho, they weren't there last night or before, as neither the Boss or I (or the cats) heard them. My hope is that it was just a novelty exploration, not setting up shop.

(Annoyingly, too, is that we're waiting on a gate for the deck. That would probably dissuade them as it's glass, like the deck, so not a lot of wiggle room or ease for climbing. Once it's all done, tho, I'll be spraying the staircase with a vinegar solution, which is supposed to make things unpalatable.)
So the animals that will eat a d wallow in trash find vinegar unpalatable?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 May 2022, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, I read that spraying vinegar or ammonia or a cayenne mix will offend Olafoons.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

I am just sick about this. We had a nest in our garage with eggs, and I think one of the baby birds survived. I have been leaving them seeds and water and just generally have been trying to keep them safe. The other day, I pulled into the garage and I ran over the baby bird. It must have been out of the next but not flying yet. I am so sad about this.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
12 May 2022, 10:47am
I am just sick about this. We had a nest in our garage with eggs, and I think one of the baby birds survived. I have been leaving them seeds and water and just generally have been trying to keep them safe. The other day, I pulled into the garage and I ran over the baby bird. It must have been out of the next but not flying yet. I am so sad about this.
Aw, that's so sad. Will it make you feel better to know I stepped on a baby chick once? :cry:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
Ugh, I understand your guilt and remorse entirely. I once hit a squirrel on my bike—he darted in front of me and I couldn’t avoid it—and I have no idea how badly he was hurt, but it still twists my stomach to think about it. But it was an accident and to feral animals, that line between life and death is thin.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Mimi wrote:
12 May 2022, 10:57am
JennyB wrote:
Aw, that's so sad. Will it make you feel better to know I stepped on a baby chick once? :cry:
Oh no, I'm sorry to dredge up that memory!
Got a Rake? Sure!

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:02am
JennyB wrote:
Ugh, I understand your guilt and remorse entirely. I once hit a squirrel on my bike—he darted in front of me and I couldn’t avoid it—and I have no idea how badly he was hurt, but it still twists my stomach to think about it. But it was an accident and to feral animals, that line between life and death is thin.
I'm so sorry - that must have been awful. Did BBE put you up to that?
Got a Rake? Sure!

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JennyB wrote:
Sorry to hear about that, even though it was an accident, I'd be beside myself with guilt as well.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2022, 9:58am
revbob wrote:
12 May 2022, 9:43am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yeah, I read that spraying vinegar or ammonia or a cayenne mix will offend Olafoons.
When we moved in here, the neighbors told us that previous owners had an ongoing issue with raccoons in the hollow centers of some brick pillars that support the roof over our front porch. I was advised by a pest control employee to soak a rag with some ammonia, then toss it up in to the pillar and stand back to allow them to scamper out. Fortunately nothing came out and the openings have been boarded up to prevent it from happing again.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:06am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 May 2022, 11:02am
JennyB wrote:
I'm so sorry - that must have been awful. Did BBE put you up to that?
Unconsciously perhaps. The Masshole bastard.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And, yup, racoons still around. Didn't even bother testing the sofa because he immediately spotted momma in the gap underneath the deck and on the lower roof. If she's there, the young 'uns haven't left. So some baited live traps have been put out and now we wait. Once she's gone, we'll have to put mesh to cover that gap.