Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:25am
WestwayKid wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:23am
JennyB wrote:
13 May 2021, 10:21am
We had a deer on our street over the past few days who had an obvious case of chronic wasting disease and it was so sad. Below is an example of what it looked like. She finally died and I'm glad she's not suffering anymore. I hope it hasn't spread to others.

That is really sad. We had a lot of deer around my neighborhood, but I have not seen one so clearly unwell.
I love our deer. They eat our hostas every year, but I love that we are providing them food.
My mom and dad's back yard borders on a large county park and they always have tons of deer visit. My mom also doesn't mind that they eat some of her flowers and my dad puts out corn for them. They're so used to him that he can pretty much walk right up to them.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
JennyB wrote:
We had a deer on our street over the past few days who had an obvious case of chronic wasting disease and it was so sad. Below is an example of what it looked like. She finally died and I'm glad she's not suffering anymore. I hope it hasn't spread to others.

That is really sad. We had a lot of deer around my neighborhood, but I have not seen one so clearly unwell.
I love our deer. They eat our hostas every year, but I love that we are providing them food.
I live on the other side of our village from my mom and dad's, but we also have a large tract of woods by our house. Lots of wildlife: deer, coyotoes, foxes, raccoons, opposums, owls.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

WestwayKid wrote:
13 May 2021, 11:10am
JennyB wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
JennyB wrote:

I live on the other side of our village from my mom and dad's, but we also have a large tract of woods by our house. Lots of wildlife: deer, coyotoes, foxes, raccoons, opposums, owls.
We have a lot of those animals as well. I'm a little scared of the coyotes, especially when it concerns our dog, but otherwise love them.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JennyB wrote:

Very sad indeed, not to sound calloused, but I'm glad it's no longer suffering.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Sparky wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:44pm
JennyB wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree.
Got a Rake? Sure!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:49pm
Sparky wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree.
The deer in my neighborhood are quite healthy and look to have a whole lot of stamina.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
13 May 2021, 2:48pm
JennyB wrote:
13 May 2021, 12:49pm
Sparky wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Wholeheartedly agree.
The deer in my neighborhood are quite healthy and look to have a whole lot of stamina.
Glad to hear!
Got a Rake? Sure!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I went out to check the mail after dark a couple nights ago and saw a critter a couple hundred feet away, moving along the far sidewalk around the corner. At first glance I thought it was our neighborhood gato. There is a big, fat, light-orange cat that prowls around at night and I’ll often see him lounging in the middle of the street under the streetlights at 2am. But the way this thing moved along I quickly realized it must be a coyote or fox. Then it crossed over and came down my street and went past me about 50 feet away, trotting right along the far side of the street and looking like it was on important business. It didn’t see me standing there in the dark, so when it was right across the street from me I made a low coughing sound to get its attention. It turned its head toward me and froze for a few seconds, then bolted away across the neighbor’s lawn on the other side of the street. In the dark it was tough to tell, but it had a kind of reddish cream color and bushy tail as long as its body. With its low stature and profile I’m pretty sure it was a red fox. Not uncommon around here but pretty rare to actually see them.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I put a few raised garden beds in my backyard several years ago and kept finding half eaten vegetables. So I bought one of those Havahart live traps and set it up. Caught a good variety of critters, each of which was released in the woods at the local park. I got a lot of groundhogs especially. This one probably had about 5 pounds of my green beans in his gut. It was a real cat and mouse game with these guys. I'd notice them looking at me from the neighbor's yard, with one eye pressed to the crack in the fence.

Groundhog1.jpg
Groundhog1.jpg (140.32 KiB) Viewed 1978 times
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Caught a bunch of these guys too:

Rabbit1.jpg
Rabbit1.jpg (155.88 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

Squirrel1.jpg
Squirrel1.jpg (131.64 KiB) Viewed 1977 times

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Rats were the worst. There’s something primally horrifying about the squealing sound they make.

Rat1.jpg
Rat1.jpg (103.52 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Rat2.jpg
Rat2.jpg (162.1 KiB) Viewed 1975 times

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 May 2021, 4:45pm
Rats were the worst. There’s something primally horrifying about the squealing sound they make.

I feel your pain, we have a plum tree, apple tree & a single cherry tomato plant, the f'ing rats love the tomatoes. I actually put an sheet metal band around the plum tree earlier this week hoping to keep them out of the fruit when it ripens.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
13 May 2021, 5:02pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
I feel your pain, we have a plum tree, apple tree & a single cherry tomato plant, the f'ing rats love the tomatoes. I actually put an sheet metal band around the plum tree earlier this week hoping to keep them out of the fruit when it ripens.
I’d love to have an apple tree, or plum or pear. My backyard is a bit small though (30x45 feet), with about a third of the space devoted to the garden, and I just put in 4 pawpaw trees 3 years ago. They’ve only fruited once so far, and I just went out yesterday to hand-pollinate them. Nothing like walking around the yard and gathering some fresh produce. Unfortunately, it really draws the animals in. Though I’ve tried everything to keep them out, it’s always a losing battle. It would be fine if they just ate one thing at a time and finished it, but they always take a single bite out of a tomato, for example, and move on to the next one. So uncivilized.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
13 May 2021, 5:33pm
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
I’d love to have an apple tree, or plum or pear. My backyard is a bit small though (30x45 feet), with about a third of the space devoted to the garden, and I just put in 4 pawpaw trees 3 years ago. They’ve only fruited once so far, and I just went out yesterday to hand-pollinate them. Nothing like walking around the yard and gathering some fresh produce. Unfortunately, it really draws the animals in. Though I’ve tried everything to keep them out, it’s always a losing battle. It would be fine if they just ate one thing at a time and finished it, but they always take a single bite out of a tomato, for example, and move on to the next one. So uncivilized.
Our fruit trees are dwarf, in fact the apple is in a large pot on our patio.
We went years with 2-3 tomato plants, no rat problems, but 2 years ago they got a taste for them and it's been downhill since.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
13 May 2021, 5:36pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
13 May 2021, 5:33pm
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Our fruit trees are dwarf, in fact the apple is in a large pot on our patio.
We went years with 2-3 tomato plants, no rat problems, but 2 years ago they got a taste for them and it's been downhill since.
Dwarf fruit trees sound like a good idea. I have some patio space. I wonder if they’d survive Buffalo winters in a pot or if I’d have to bring them inside. I’ll have to look into it.