Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 3:48pm
Low Down Low wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 3:15pm
I try not to get too hooked up into the cute and cuddly nature thing but, fuckitt, those critters just melt my darn heart.
Australia is filled with terrifying monsters, but kangaroos and koalas make up for it all.
As far as Australian wildlife goes, I’ve long hoped someone would manage to locate a thylacine (Tasmanian tiger). They’re most likely gone from the wild though. Seems there has been considerable effort to genetically engineer one, which would be cool I guess, but not as cool as finding a small population of them somewhere. I’ve watched every documentary on youtube that I can find about them. Fascinating animal. Bummer we basically killed those buggers off for really stupid reasons.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kimmelweck wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 6:00pm
As far as Australian wildlife goes, I’ve long hoped someone would manage to locate a thylacine (Tasmanian tiger). They’re most likely gone from the wild though. Seems there has been considerable effort to genetically engineer one, which would be cool I guess, but not as cool as finding a small population of them somewhere. I’ve watched every documentary on youtube that I can find about them. Fascinating animal. Bummer we basically killed those buggers off for really stupid reasons.

https://cms.zsl.org/sites/default/files ... lf_05a.jpg
I think I've read about these guys before. Reading the "extinction" section of their Wikipedia page is... enraging.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Flex wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 6:08pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

https://cms.zsl.org/sites/default/files ... lf_05a.jpg
I think I've read about these guys before. Reading the "extinction" section of their Wikipedia page is... enraging.
Yeah, bounties, because they were mistakenly thought to be destroying livestock. I agree, it's enraging. So short-sighted and stupid. Thylacines have long been a minor youtube obsession of mine. There have been regular “sightings” in recent years, but any photographic evidence seems to be just shy of conclusive.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

:sad:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:
I try not to get too hooked up into the cute and cuddly nature thing but, fuckitt, those critters just melt my darn heart.
Australia is filled with terrifying monsters, but kangaroos and koalas make up for it all.

Is it just me or does that thing have a really long muzzle?
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 9:44pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

No, you’re right. It’s actually a marsupial, more closely related to a kangaroo than to a dog - but a classic case of convergent evolution. Sort of like an early kangaroo form that evolved to fill the predatory/dog niche in Australia. You can kinda see it in the face, the shoulders, the hind legs, and the tail too.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 6:51am
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Low Down Low wrote:

No, you’re right. It’s actually a marsupial, more closely related to a kangaroo than to a dog - but a classic case of convergent evolution. Sort of like an early kangaroo form that evolved to fill the predatory/dog niche in Australia. You can kinda see it in the face, the shoulders, the hind legs, and the tail too.

OK, I can clearly see the kangaroo connection, thanks.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 9:20am
Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 6:51am
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

OK, I can clearly see the kangaroo connection, thanks.
Really a fascinating animal. I’ve fallen down endless youtube/internet rabbit-holes reading/watching about them over the years. I’d gladly sacrifice 10 bigfoots to find one of them living in the wild. :mrgreen:

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I watched two squirrels getting it on in a tree. So romantic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 10:03am
I watched two squirrels getting it on in a tree. So romantic.
They appreciated you playing Barry White in the morning.

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Shit pic time again but i awoke to sunshine the other day for what felt like the first time in years and then looked out the back to see this pair of lovely critters having a little nibble off each other. First time I've seen em for weeks, possibly months and all feels good with the world again.
20230316_150819.jpg

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Low Down Low wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 6:27am
Shit pic time again but i awoke to sunshine the other day for what felt like the first time in years and then looked out the back to see this pair of lovely critters having a little nibble off each other. First time I've seen em for weeks, possibly months and all feels good with the world again.

20230316_150819.jpg
Red Foxes?

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sparky wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 8:58am
Low Down Low wrote:

20230316_150819.jpg
Red Foxes?

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

Sparky wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 8:58am
Low Down Low wrote:

20230316_150819.jpg
Red Foxes?
Yeah, or as we call them here, foxes, as there aren't any other kind round these parts. Back garden is a suntrap so it's where they spend a large part of their afternoons and I leave them at it, try not to disturb as much as possible.