Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2022, 10:51am
revbob wrote:
14 May 2022, 6:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 5:45am
So, everybody loves a sequel to a shitty movie, right? When we last left the story, two new traps at been left in case #3 was still on site. My additional fear was baited traps would *attract* new intruders, so I sprayed the stairs with a cayenne/tabasco mixture. Around 9.30 last night, one trap snapped shut. Yup, okay, #3 has presumably been snared, our long national Olafmare will soon be over. And throughout the night he/she banged on the cage and all that. Nothing was heard from the second trap, so all is good. And then, at 4.30, racoon screaming. If you've never heard a racoon scream, it's horrible. We flip on the outside light and look behind the blind and there's another racoon pawing at the guy in the cage (who is the screamer). No, there's three. So we flip the light on and off and the Boss starts yelling at them, which had the desired effect—they left, the trapped guy stopped screaming. Oddly, and thankfully, none of that gang went to the other trap, which is still empty. What a shit show. But I'll call to have both traps taken away today and hopefully yet another sequel isn't made.

And I guess the whole cayenne/tabasco thing doesn't work. We're going to get some coyote urine spray today and see what that does (both as a deterrent and a frisky cologne).
What is attracting them to your place to begin with?
Doc, do you think this has anything to do with the guy you met recently? Maybe he sent his army of raccoons after you. :shifty:
That my neighbour is actually Olaf?!?! I can't disprove it easily, so it must be true!

The Boss and I just finished scrubbing away the shit with bleach and then hosing it all down. And there were no others hiding underneath the sofa. Still waiting for the guy to be picked up, but a neighbour and I moved him off the roof to the ground and in the shadows because it's really warm out. The bait tin of cat food was turned up, so I poured water in and he drank it as fast as it came out (and I mean that literally; he probably sucked up a litre). Poor little guy. He's had a horrible past couple days. But he's settled down now, at least. Once he's gone, we have all kinds of fun things to spray to scare away the neighbourhood wildlife.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Back in HS when I worked in a campground we had a couple of dumpsters on site and the racoons converged on it every night easily 10 to 20. We would usually swing by in the morning on warm/summer days and would put tree limbs in there in case they couldn't get out. One day we came in and some shit was going on and we got there too late. We saved a few but several had died from heat/dehydration. Very sad. I started making it a point to stop there in the morning on my way in before I clocked in.

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 1:08pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
So, everybody loves a sequel to a shitty movie, right? When we last left the story, two new traps at been left in case #3 was still on site. My additional fear was baited traps would *attract* new intruders, so I sprayed the stairs with a cayenne/tabasco mixture. Around 9.30 last night, one trap snapped shut. Yup, okay, #3 has presumably been snared, our long national Olafmare will soon be over. And throughout the night he/she banged on the cage and all that. Nothing was heard from the second trap, so all is good. And then, at 4.30, racoon screaming. If you've never heard a racoon scream, it's horrible. We flip on the outside light and look behind the blind and there's another racoon pawing at the guy in the cage (who is the screamer). No, there's three. So we flip the light on and off and the Boss starts yelling at them, which had the desired effect—they left, the trapped guy stopped screaming. Oddly, and thankfully, none of that gang went to the other trap, which is still empty. What a shit show. But I'll call to have both traps taken away today and hopefully yet another sequel isn't made.

And I guess the whole cayenne/tabasco thing doesn't work. We're going to get some coyote urine spray today and see what that does (both as a deterrent and a frisky cologne).
Doc, do you think this has anything to do with the guy you met recently? Maybe he sent his army of raccoons after you. :shifty:
That my neighbour is actually Olaf?!?! I can't disprove it easily, so it must be true!

The Boss and I just finished scrubbing away the shit with bleach and then hosing it all down. And there were no others hiding underneath the sofa. Still waiting for the guy to be picked up, but a neighbour and I moved him off the roof to the ground and in the shadows because it's really warm out. The bait tin of cat food was turned up, so I poured water in and he drank it as fast as it came out (and I mean that literally; he probably sucked up a litre). Poor little guy. He's had a horrible past couple days. But he's settled down now, at least. Once he's gone, we have all kinds of fun things to spray to scare away the neighbourhood wildlife.
Hello,

Buy a dog? I know you have cats but they can co-exist.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
14 May 2022, 1:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 1:08pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

Buy a dog? I know you have cats but they can co-exist.
That's an extreme response to what is, so far, a chance experience. Our neighbour has a dog who is a boisterous barker—luckily he has a really nice voice—but he's indoors at night.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Last night, I had thrown a few bad apples out into the backyard, knowing I had at least a fox and one possum, not to mention the bunnies, who might come around and eat them. As soon as it got dark, three possums, one grey fox, and one raccoon showed up, sniffing around. Do you know that fox avoided the coon. See? Even in the animal kingdom they know not to mess with raccoons.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2022, 2:34pm
Last night, I had thrown a few bad apples out into the backyard, knowing I had at least a fox and one possum, not to mention the bunnies, who might come around and eat them. As soon as it got dark, three possums, one grey fox, and one raccoon showed up, sniffing around. Do you know that fox avoided the coon. See? Even in the animal kingdom they know not to mess with raccoons.
Their distress screetch would shame the most leather-lunged metal singer.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
Yeah foxes are usually small and not looking to start trouble. Ive seen racoons the same size as the average fox.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
14 May 2022, 3:22pm
Mimi wrote:
Yeah foxes are usually small and not looking to start trouble. Ive seen racoons the same size as the average fox.
Foxes are all I'm a lovah not a fightah.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2022, 3:50pm
revbob wrote:
14 May 2022, 3:22pm
Mimi wrote:
Foxes are all I'm a lovah not a fightah.
They're utterly adorable.

Also, Bandit III has left (preceded by mom, Bandit I, and sibling, Bandit II). I was told he'll be dropped off at a wooded area outside town in 20 mins. I told The Boss that by the end I wanted to adopt. Not wanted wanted, but wished circumstances could have allowed us to take him in given that, presumably, he's apart from his family. I really feel like shit that this played out the way it did. We ended up paying $900 for the three removals and another $175 in preventative stuff. Fuck Trudeau and thanks Obama.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

900 fucking dollars??

Where's my jaw? I dropped it on the floor here somewhere.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
14 May 2022, 5:20pm
900 fucking dollars??

I know. $400 for the first, $200 for each one after, plus tax. Luckily, the Boss was out of town speaking at some training thing and was $1000 for the gig, so it all evens out.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 5:41pm
Mimi wrote:
900 fucking dollars??

I know. $400 for the first, $200 for each one after, plus tax. Luckily, the Boss was out of town speaking at some training thing and was $1000 for the gig, so it all evens out.
Wow, was that a government agency who picked them up and charged you so much or a private pest control company? Seems crazy expensive to me, but then again, I wouldn't even consider wrangling 3 pissed off raccoons for $1k, so maybe it was a bargain.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
14 May 2022, 6:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 5:41pm
Mimi wrote:
900 fucking dollars??

Wow, was that a government agency who picked them up and charged you so much or a private pest control company? Seems crazy expensive to me, but then again, I wouldn't even consider wrangling 3 pissed off raccoons for $1k, so maybe it was a bargain.
It's all private here. You can only call the city if there's a dead animal on your premises. Live ones are between you, your bank account, and a guy in a van.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

For those who are curious, coyote urine has a definite strong and musky smell. I soaked several rags and put them in key places. Hopefully this doesn't attract coyotes. X(

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 May 2022, 7:13pm
For those who are curious, coyote urine has a definite strong and musky smell. I soaked several rags and put them in key places. Hopefully this doesn't attract coyotes. X(

Does your wife know about this or is it intended as some kind of sexy surprise?