Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by gkbill »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 11:42pm
Mimi wrote:
20 Aug 2021, 7:54pm
What kind of snake is this?
20210820_184549.jpg
Timber Rattlesnake I think. You'd have to work to get bit by it and it likely wouldn't kill you. I'd take a mind your own business approach.
Hello,

Go get a shovel. It'll probably be gone by the time you get the shovel, but if not, chop off the head. No worries.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:
20210820_184549.jpg
Timber Rattlesnake I think. You'd have to work to get bit by it and it likely wouldn't kill you. I'd take a mind your own business approach.
Ooooh, it might be. Apparently they go through a black phase. This thing was hella skinny though.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 9:50am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:
20210820_184549.jpg
Ooooh, it might be. Apparently they go through a black phase. This thing was hella skinny though.
Then they realize mom and dad expect them to forget about hip hop and instead go to college, get an MBA, and work at Monsanto.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 11:24am
Mimi wrote:
21 Aug 2021, 9:50am
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Mimi wrote:
20210820_184549.jpg
Then they realize mom and dad expect them to forget about hip hop and instead go to college, get an MBA, and work at Monsanto.
:lol:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

:mrgreen:

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
06 Oct 2021, 9:14pm

I want one of those!
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 2:38pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

I want one of those!
Me too. Then the squirrels could earn what they steal from my garden by providing entertainment value. :mrgreen:

And I really wish that video was longer.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 3:36pm
Sparky wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 2:38pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

I want one of those!
Me too. Then the squirrels could earn what they steal from my garden by providing entertainment value. :mrgreen:

And I really wish that video was longer.
Happened so fast I couldn't get my phone out to take a picture, but a squirrel just hopped off of our wall and grabbed an apple off of our tree. One of my three cats altered me to it, she was pretty animated, but I didn't let her out, she's an indoor cat, squirrel would probably bite her.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 4:23pm
Happened so fast I couldn't get my phone out to take a picture, but a squirrel just hopped off of our wall and grabbed an apple off of our tree. One of my three cats altered me to it, she was pretty animated, but I didn't let her out, she's an indoor cat, squirrel would probably bite her.
Are yours grey squirrels? That’s what I have around here. When I lived in Kent, Ohio, for a couple years in the late 90s, they were like 90% black squirrels, which were actually pretty cool to see and seemed to mind their own business. The Kent State campus was loaded with them - they were descended from black squirrels imported from Ontario in the 60s. I only rarely see a black squirrel in New York State, and they are basically just rare genetic variants of the eastern grey squirrel, but the grey ones tend to be bold assholes.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 4:58pm
Sparky wrote:
Are yours grey squirrels? That’s what I have around here. When I lived in Kent, Ohio, for a couple years in the late 90s, they were like 90% black squirrels, which were actually pretty cool to see and seemed to mind their own business. The Kent State campus was loaded with them - they were descended from black squirrels imported from Ontario in the 60s. I only rarely see a black squirrel in New York State, and they are basically just rare genetic variants of the eastern grey squirrel, but the grey ones tend to be bold assholes.
The local parks have lots of grey squirrels, but the ones we have in our neighborhood are red fox squirrels according to google. We've seen partially eaten apples from our little dwarf tree as well as cherry tomatoes (assumed it was rats) but this is the first time I've seen one grabbing an apple and scampering away with it.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Sparky wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 5:05pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 4:58pm
Sparky wrote:
The local parks have lots of grey squirrels, but the ones we have in our neighborhood are red fox squirrels according to google. We've seen partially eaten apples from our little dwarf tree as well as cherry tomatoes (assumed it was rats) but this is the first time I've seen one grabbing an apple and scampering away with it.
Yeah I occasionally see a red one too – American red squirrels I think - but only in the local parks. Rare enough around here that I don’t mind them - yet.

My groundhog problem went away during the summer – found out a month ago that my neighbor was killing them. According to google they are basically just a fat squirrel. Not surprising.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

A friend of mine had this lighter a few weeks ago. :rolleyes:

YouGoSquirrel.jpg
YouGoSquirrel.jpg (180.56 KiB) Viewed 1182 times

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

I'm in Tucson at the moment, and aside from finding a really good comic shop, its only other redeeming factor is that there's a bunch of lizards everywhere.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 5:55pm
I'm in Tucson at the moment, and aside from finding a really good comic shop, its only other redeeming factor is that there's a bunch of lizards everywhere.
Lizards are cool.

There was at least one good music store there about 20 years ago...

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Kory wrote:
07 Oct 2021, 5:55pm
I’d love to see lizards darting around. Just a few skinks up here and I’ve never actually seen one of them in the wild in NY.

The guy who ran my favorite childhood comic book store moved his shop to California in the 90s, but has since returned and opened a new shop a couple miles away from me under the same name, a few blocks down from his original location. That was just before the pandemic. I’ll have to make a point of stopping in there in the next couple weeks. I’m 30 years older than the last time he saw me, but he’ll probably recognize me and immediately have dollar signs in his eyes. He sold me like 5 copies each of the original Marvel Secret Wars and Secret Wars II runs, among other things.