Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 19970
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:12pm


See, I just can't hate squirrels at all. They're fun and funny. We've had some chipmunks move into the neighbourhood, competing with the squirrels for the peanuts I throw out in the morning. What's striking is that they have no aversion to people. I've been outside in the yard and they'll come up to me and just hang out, then casually walk away. And they're so dang small and cute.
I get more squirrels on the bird feeders than birds which is quite alright by me! The greys pretty much killed off the reds round here which is a black mark, but I don't hold it against them either. It's just nature.
I hung up a bird feeder about a month ago. It's in a place the squirrels can't get to, but it's also one that's got a weight-sensitive mechanism, so a squirrel would cause access to the seed to be shut off. That said, the birds make a complete mess of everything so that within a day the feeder is empty and most of the seed is on our front porch. Fuckers.
Back in my day birds and squirrels didn't need handouts.
If we didn't do that, they'd just be breaking into pet stores and mugging elephants for peanuts.
Squirrels around here are chewing holes thru siding and other things to make homes in people's houses. GD tree rats, I hate them.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 103195
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: An Ice Floe in Uncharted Waters

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:41pm
Low Down Low wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:33pm


I get more squirrels on the bird feeders than birds which is quite alright by me! The greys pretty much killed off the reds round here which is a black mark, but I don't hold it against them either. It's just nature.
I hung up a bird feeder about a month ago. It's in a place the squirrels can't get to, but it's also one that's got a weight-sensitive mechanism, so a squirrel would cause access to the seed to be shut off. That said, the birds make a complete mess of everything so that within a day the feeder is empty and most of the seed is on our front porch. Fuckers.
Back in my day birds and squirrels didn't need handouts.
If we didn't do that, they'd just be breaking into pet stores and mugging elephants for peanuts.
Squirrels around here are chewing holes thru siding and other things to make homes in people's houses. GD tree rats, I hate them.
I guess Canadian squirrels just have better manners.
"And I said, 'I ate hot-buttered corn all night.' Anyway, about the Soviet Union." - Winston Churchill, "Iron Curtain" speech, 5 March 1946

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 11546
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by BostonBeaneater »

JennyB wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 12:35pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Jun 2022, 10:49pm
BEARS!!!
LOOK AT THE BABY!!!!
Attachments
5AFD7653-91AC-4829-ADD5-9DC58E938105.jpeg
Image

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 19970
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:41pm


I hung up a bird feeder about a month ago. It's in a place the squirrels can't get to, but it's also one that's got a weight-sensitive mechanism, so a squirrel would cause access to the seed to be shut off. That said, the birds make a complete mess of everything so that within a day the feeder is empty and most of the seed is on our front porch. Fuckers.
Back in my day birds and squirrels didn't need handouts.
If we didn't do that, they'd just be breaking into pet stores and mugging elephants for peanuts.
Squirrels around here are chewing holes thru siding and other things to make homes in people's houses. GD tree rats, I hate them.
I guess Canadian squirrels just have better manners.
They do but they punctuate every statement with "eh?" It gets annoying after a while.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 103195
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: An Ice Floe in Uncharted Waters

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:43pm


Back in my day birds and squirrels didn't need handouts.
If we didn't do that, they'd just be breaking into pet stores and mugging elephants for peanuts.
Squirrels around here are chewing holes thru siding and other things to make homes in people's houses. GD tree rats, I hate them.
I guess Canadian squirrels just have better manners.
They do but they punctuate every statement with "eh?" It gets annoying after a while.
More the apologizing for any perceived inconvenience.
"And I said, 'I ate hot-buttered corn all night.' Anyway, about the Soviet Union." - Winston Churchill, "Iron Curtain" speech, 5 March 1946

BostonBeaneater
User avatar
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel
Posts: 11546
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 7:24pm
Location: Between the moon and New York City

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Mountain Goats
3EA2171C-9D65-4EF1-A700-420DDCC46789.jpeg
Image

JennyB
User avatar
Mossad Van Driver
Posts: 20825
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 1:13pm
Location: Moranjortsville

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by JennyB »

revbob wrote:
03 Jul 2022, 10:29am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 2:12pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:48pm
revbob wrote:
01 Jul 2022, 1:43pm


Back in my day birds and squirrels didn't need handouts.
If we didn't do that, they'd just be breaking into pet stores and mugging elephants for peanuts.
Squirrels around here are chewing holes thru siding and other things to make homes in people's houses. GD tree rats, I hate them.
I guess Canadian squirrels just have better manners.
They do but they punctuate every statement with "eh?" It gets annoying after a while.
True, true.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 103195
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: An Ice Floe in Uncharted Waters

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
"And I said, 'I ate hot-buttered corn all night.' Anyway, about the Soviet Union." - Winston Churchill, "Iron Curtain" speech, 5 March 1946

gkbill
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 3454
Joined: 23 Jun 2008, 9:21pm

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
Hello,

What kind of bug?

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 103195
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: An Ice Floe in Uncharted Waters

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 11:54am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
Hello,

What kind of bug?
Sadly, it was indistinct, so I can't even count that achievement. One thing I miss about NC was fireflies. So, so cool to see these little bursts of light, like embers floating around.
"And I said, 'I ate hot-buttered corn all night.' Anyway, about the Soviet Union." - Winston Churchill, "Iron Curtain" speech, 5 March 1946

Sparky
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2575
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
I like to check our doorbell cam each morning to see what was wandering around our porch overnight and more often than not it's some pesky moth or a spider crawling across the camera.
"How can the Replacements be the best band of the 80's when I've never even heard of them?" - Jon Bon Jovi - Musician Magazine 1989

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 103195
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: An Ice Floe in Uncharted Waters

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
I like to check our doorbell cam each morning to see what was wandering around our porch overnight and more often than not it's some pesky moth or a spider crawling across the camera.
So I should expect more of the same? Well … at least I didn't pay any money for this thing.
"And I said, 'I ate hot-buttered corn all night.' Anyway, about the Soviet Union." - Winston Churchill, "Iron Curtain" speech, 5 March 1946

Sparky
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 2575
Joined: 01 Dec 2020, 5:31pm
Location: Left Of The Dial

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:24pm
Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
I like to check our doorbell cam each morning to see what was wandering around our porch overnight and more often than not it's some pesky moth or a spider crawling across the camera.
So I should expect more of the same? Well … at least I didn't pay any money for this thing.
We pay a monthly subscription to save up to 7 days recordings, otherwise we can only see real time movements. We've seen a coyote, multiple racoons and opossums as well as the neighborhood cats and dogs.
"How can the Replacements be the best band of the 80's when I've never even heard of them?" - Jon Bon Jovi - Musician Magazine 1989

revbob
User avatar
Unknown Immortal
Posts: 19970
Joined: 16 Jun 2008, 12:31pm
Location: The Frozen Tundra

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by revbob »

My back and front yard are littered with the fucking spongy moths. At least they dont shit like their caterpillar counterparts. I can actually enjoy sitting out on the back porch again. Yes that includes getting locked out.

Dr. Medulla
User avatar
Atheistic Epileptic
Posts: 103195
Joined: 15 Jun 2008, 2:00pm
Location: An Ice Floe in Uncharted Waters

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:24pm
Sparky wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 6:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 Jul 2022, 8:27am
I think I've mentioned before that I use our Air Miles account for getting things I wouldn't actually spend money on. I saw that we had enough miles to get an outdoor security camera, which I thought would be kinda neat to see kind of wildlife comes thru at night (including, of course, racoons). Yesterday was Night 1. Wake up this morning, three clips recorded. Cool! Clip #1: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #2: bug flies by, activates the recording. Clip #3: bug flies by, activates the recording. Hmmmm …
I like to check our doorbell cam each morning to see what was wandering around our porch overnight and more often than not it's some pesky moth or a spider crawling across the camera.
So I should expect more of the same? Well … at least I didn't pay any money for this thing.
We pay a monthly subscription to save up to 7 days recordings, otherwise we can only see real time movements. We've seen a coyote, multiple racoons and opossums as well as the neighborhood cats and dogs.
Ours has a micro SD card, so no additional cost there. If I see a coyote was in our yard, I'll shit. I'm fine with racoons, skunks (our next-door neighbour's dog got sprayed a couple weeks ago in their yard during a late-night pee) and groundhogs, but coyotes? Nuh-uh.
"And I said, 'I ate hot-buttered corn all night.' Anyway, about the Soviet Union." - Winston Churchill, "Iron Curtain" speech, 5 March 1946

Post Reply