Wildlife Encounters

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Re: Wildlife Encounters

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 3:41pm
JennyB wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 3:26pm
I was at a meeting for an organization I volunteer for at a private home yesterday. I was warned by the ED of the org that the homeowner was a former hunter, knowing my proclivities toward animal rights. OK, I was expecting maybe a deer head above the fireplace. I certainly don't love that, but, hey, most people who hunt deer eat the meat and use the hides to make gloves and stuff. Well...

House was filled with big game "trophies." A polar bear pelt was hanging above the fireplace. A lion was in mid-attack pose. A leopard was hanging out on the table. I have never been so horrified in my life.
Ugh. The older I get the more sensitive I am to that stuff. I flat-out do not understand hunting trophies. There are reasons that people kill animals that are understandable—food, safety, mercy. But celebrating it, to desire to be reminded of what you did … yeah, that's something that I can't process.
I don't understand the mindset of people who think "oh, hey, look at that majestic, maybe endangered animal. I think I'll kill it for shits and giggles."
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JennyB wrote:
I was at a meeting for an organization I volunteer for at a private home yesterday. I was warned by the ED of the org that the homeowner was a former hunter, knowing my proclivities toward animal rights. OK, I was expecting maybe a deer head above the fireplace. I certainly don't love that, but, hey, most people who hunt deer eat the meat and use the hides to make gloves and stuff. Well...

House was filled with big game "trophies." A polar bear pelt was hanging above the fireplace. A lion was in mid-attack pose. A leopard was hanging out on the table. I have never been so horrified in my life.
The. Worst.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 3:43pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 3:41pm
JennyB wrote:

Ugh. The older I get the more sensitive I am to that stuff. I flat-out do not understand hunting trophies. There are reasons that people kill animals that are understandable—food, safety, mercy. But celebrating it, to desire to be reminded of what you did … yeah, that's something that I can't process.
I don't understand the mindset of people who think "oh, hey, look at that majestic, maybe endangered animal. I think I'll kill it for shits and giggles."
That creature that has struggled to survive, that has beaten the odds to live to adulthood, yeah, time for it to die because it will make me feel happy/less inadequate.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 4:01pm

That creature that has struggled to survive, that has beaten the odds to live to adulthood, yeah, time for it to die because it will make me feel happy/less inadequate.
You talking about the hunter guy? I'd be happy if he died too.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 7:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 4:01pm

You talking about the hunter guy? I'd be happy if he died too.
Ha!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

JennyB wrote:

I don't get it either, hunting for food to survive is one thing (I'm not a hunter, I'm a gatherer) but killing just for the sake of having a dead animal to display just baffles me.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Sparky wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 8:41pm
JennyB wrote:

I don't get it either, hunting for food to survive is one thing (I'm not a hunter, I'm a gatherer) but killing just for the sake of having a dead animal to display just baffles me.
Hello,

I am always amazed at how hunters such as this (at least the one or two I've come across) believe it's such a macho thing. You have a gun - you can shoot the animal from hundreds of yards away. If it was you versus a polar bear and you only had a knife, okay, pretty macho - but you with a rifle - I'm not impressed.

Howard Beale
Bang Ice Geezer

Post by Howard Beale »

gkbill wrote:
16 Aug 2022, 10:14pm
I am always amazed at how hunters such as this (at least the one or two I've come across) believe it's such a macho thing.
It's bizarre that this mentality still exists—or equating anything involving a gun with being macho, really. Even children have the physical ability to pull a trigger, don't they?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

An observation: A molting cardinal looks like those evil bird creatures from The Dark Crystal.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Note to self, dont fuck with elephants.

Elephant kills woman in India — then returns to trample her corpse at her funeral
https://nextshark.com/elephant-kills-wo ... r-funeral/

Overworked elephant rips Thai owner in half
https://news.yahoo.com/overworked-eleph ... 48184.html

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Stories about elephants always remind me of that Joe Ely song, Indian Cowboy. Best circus song ever.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
20 Aug 2022, 8:02am
Note to self, dont fuck with elephants.

Elephant kills woman in India — then returns to trample her corpse at her funeral
https://nextshark.com/elephant-kills-wo ... r-funeral/

Overworked elephant rips Thai owner in half
https://news.yahoo.com/overworked-eleph ... 48184.html
Man, they’re almost as scary as chimps!
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Spotted this guy/gal while kayaking this morning, its partner got scared off before I could get my phone out.
20220828_120955.jpg

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
28 Aug 2022, 1:15pm
Spotted this guy/gal while kayaking this morning, its partner got scared off before I could get my phone out.20220828_120955.jpg
Pretty prehistoric looking bird, I think that's a great blue heron, we've got a few in the wetlands near us, voracious hunters, they'll eat all kinds of critters.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung