The NewsRadio appreciation thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The NewsRadio appreciation thread

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 12:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 8:41am
Mimi wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 8:33am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 8:27am
I've been watching Newsradio on and off for the past couple months and reached the last episode of season 4, the Titanic one and also Phil Hartman's final appearance. So many jokes about death, especially those made by PH, make it super uncomfortable to watch. I recommend skipping it. :sad:
Awww. I think I got through the first 2 seasons, maybe 3 recently, can't remember now, and I enjoyed it a lot. Didn't really appreciate how wonderful Phil was from when I watched it years ago. He was a comic genius.
There is real value in having a showrunner and cast that know their network are idiots and thumb their noses at it all the time. The rat funeral episode, I found out, was because NBC wanted its bloc of comedies to do a 4 weddings and a funeral theme one night, which the Newsradio gang thought was stupid, so they did one on recurring rat funerals. Which was funny … and funny.
WHY (I like the movie, but that's such a weird thing to think of)
Must-see TV?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 12:40pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 8:27am
I've been watching Newsradio on and off for the past couple months and reached the last episode of season 4, the Titanic one and also Phil Hartman's final appearance. So many jokes about death, especially those made by PH, make it super uncomfortable to watch. I recommend skipping it. :sad:
Awww. I think I got through the first 2 seasons, maybe 3 recently, can't remember now, and I enjoyed it a lot. Didn't really appreciate how wonderful Phil was from when I watched it years ago. He was a comic genius.
There is real value in having a showrunner and cast that know their network are idiots and thumb their noses at it all the time. The rat funeral episode, I found out, was because NBC wanted its bloc of comedies to do a 4 weddings and a funeral theme one night, which the Newsradio gang thought was stupid, so they did one on recurring rat funerals. Which was funny … and funny.
Must-see TV?
Changing topics slightly (because thats what we do here), I dont watch Hugh Grant movies either.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 1:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Must-see TV?
Changing topics slightly (because thats what we do here), I dont watch Hugh Grant movies either.
He's not Tom Cruise-level no, but he's not appealing. He's also the only guest Jon Stewart ever banned from The Daily Show because he was such an ass backstage.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 2:05pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Must-see TV?
He's not Tom Cruise-level no, but he's not appealing. He's also the only guest Jon Stewart ever banned from The Daily Show because he was such an ass backstage.
I have no doubts.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Must-see TV?
I do, because he's so charmingly befuddled.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kory wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 2:34pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Must-see TV?
I do, because he's so charmingly befuddled.
Mmm quite.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Must-see TV?
I watched a lot of Miss Marple over the pandemic and one actor was clearly a Dean's List Graduate of the Hugh Grant School of...of...of...Act...ing. Honest to dog, I wanted to reach through the tv and slap the back of his head every time he stuttered, scrunched up his mouth, and squinted.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 5:03pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Must-see TV?
I watched a lot of Miss Marple over the pandemic and one actor was clearly a Dean's List Graduate of the Hugh Grant School of...of...of...Act...ing. Honest to dog, I wanted to reach through the tv and slap the back of his head every time he stuttered, scrunched up his mouth, and squinted.
Apparently some people consider that charm

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 5:36pm
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:

Must-see TV?
As a Monty Python skit put it, "Are you embarrassed easily? Don't worry, it's all part of growing up and being British."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Watching Season 5 now. What it reminds me of is Community once it switched from a show about people at a community college to a more free-form exploration of popular culture that is set in a community college. In Season 5, Newsradio fully embraces silliness and absurdity. Swapping Bill McNeal's pompousness for Max Lewis' insanity—Lovitz really is a dynamo—encourages the whole thing to just go off the rails … in a good way. It's aa different beast, or an altered beast, but it succeeds incredibly well.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 5:38pm
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Must-see TV?
As a Monty Python skit put it, "Are you embarrassed easily? Don't worry, it's all part of growing up and being British."
"Wankel Rotary Engine"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 12:45pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:
revbob wrote:

"Wankel Rotary Engine"
C) Good evening.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 1:21pm
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Mimi wrote:

"Wankel Rotary Engine"
C) Good evening.
That would be a good trivia question for Pythonites—on the original album the final "good evening" links up with the "Book at Bedtime" sketch, and on the Final Rip-Off compilation, it links to the "Australian Table Wine" sketch.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

"Wankel Rotary Engine"
C) Good evening.
That would be a good trivia question for Pythonites—on the original album the final "good evening" links up with the "Book at Bedtime" sketch, and on the Final Rip-Off compilation, it links to the "Australian Table Wine" sketch.
I don't think I know the former. Is that Idle reading children's stories that take rather adult twists?

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 2:00pm
Kory wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 1:41pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kory wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

"Wankel Rotary Engine"
C) Good evening.
I don't think I know the former. Is that Idle reading children's stories that take rather adult twists?
Basically, but it's Cleese instead and he just reads what Idle only allowed us to imagine in the show. It's only about 10 seconds but we find out what happens with the melon.