Star Wars Books for Free

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Star Wars Books for Free

Post by Flex »

Im going through old boxes of shit and parting with some stuff. I was never much of Star Wars guy but I accumulated a very small clutch of SW books over the years. Happy to ship them to someone in N. America who would enjoy them. No idea if these are considered good/desirable at all, and I'd have read them probably 20 years ago so I don't remember them at all. anyways, this is them:
Attachments
PXL_20210503_202654526.MP.jpg
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Star Wars Books for Free

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I've read all but Courtship. I remember reading the novelization of Empire in the back of my parents' car during a summer road trip. Students had to make some kind of pledge to read X books over the summer and that was one of mine.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Wolter
Half Foghorn Leghorn, Half Albert Brooks

Post by Wolter »

While Empire is generally considered the best Star Wars movie, the novelization is by far the worst of the OT ones.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

"But the gorilla thinks otherwise!"

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
03 May 2021, 6:00pm
While Empire is generally considered the best Star Wars movie, the novelization is by far the worst of the OT ones.
Eleven-year-old me says you're not a real fan! :angry:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Wolter wrote:
I don't recall the other OT books, but I remember reading A New Hope and I found it dreadful. Like someone had obviously just given a copy of the movie to a ghostwriter and said, here, turn this into a book. It just seemed like a half-assed play-by-play of the movie, an excuse to get something onto drugstore paperback racks as quickly as possible. Which I guess it was. I recall Uncle Owen being described as having a “wrestler-like physique”. Having just read Dune, the difference in writing quality was jarring. If ANH had come out in book form first, I highly doubt anyone would have made a movie out of it.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 May 2021, 7:07pm
Wolter wrote:
I don't recall the other OT books, but I remember reading A New Hope and I found it dreadful. Like someone had obviously just given a copy of the movie to a ghostwriter and said, here, turn this into a book. It just seemed like a half-assed play-by-play of the movie, an excuse to get something onto drugstore paperback racks as quickly as possible. Which I guess it was. I recall Uncle Owen being described as having a “wrestler-like physique”. Having just read Dune, the difference in writing quality was jarring. If ANH had come out in book form first, I highly doubt anyone would have made a movie out of it.
But … but … the author is listed as George Lucas!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 7:15pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Wolter wrote:
So bad the ghostwriter didn't want his name on it. “Nah George, you go ahead and take all the credit. I’m good. Just give me my $500.”
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 May 2021, 7:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Wolter wrote:
So bad the ghostwriter didn't want his name on it. “Nah George, you go ahead and take all the credit. I’m good. Just give me my $500.”
The ghostwriter was Alan Dean Foster and has bad as it is, I’ve reread them within the last few years and Empire is worse. It’s bloodless and dull, without even a shred of weird.

Oddly, the ROTJ one was fairly decent by 80s novelization standards.
”INDER LOCK THE THE KISS THREAD IVE REALISED IM A PRZE IDOOT” - Thomas Jefferson

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
03 May 2021, 7:36pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Wolter wrote:
The ghostwriter was Alan Dean Foster and has bad as it is, I’ve reread them within the last few years and Empire is worse. It’s bloodless and dull, without even a shred of weird.

I remember being wowed as a kid bt ADF's Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which I later learned was a hoped-for sequel to Star Wars. I read it again, I dunno, twenty years ago and, yeesh, clumsy and, at best, workmanlike.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Also read these as a kid. I don't remember a thing about them other than the treasure at the end of the third being worthless.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 7:38pm
Wolter wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I remember being wowed as a kid bt ADF's Splinter of the Mind's Eye, which I later learned was a hoped-for sequel to Star Wars. I read it again, I dunno, twenty years ago and, yeesh, clumsy and, at best, workmanlike.
Oh yeah. Foster is 100% a utility player. Slot him in for whatever quick cash in you need.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Oh yeah. Foster is 100% a utility player. Slot him in for whatever quick cash in you need.
I just looked at his Wikipedia entry. Once upon a time I would have sneered at someone who grinds out that much material, but research the golden era of the paperback in the 50s, it's a genuine talent to produce that kind of volume and, as one of those guys said, readers are clearly entertained so the work should be respected.

Wolter

Post by Wolter »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:34pm
Wolter wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Wolter wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I just looked at his Wikipedia entry. Once upon a time I would have sneered at someone who grinds out that much material, but research the golden era of the paperback in the 50s, it's a genuine talent to produce that kind of volume and, as one of those guys said, readers are clearly entertained so the work should be respected.
Oh, 100%. I always respect utility players. It’s a real skill.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wolter wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 May 2021, 8:34pm
Wolter wrote:
Oh, 100%. I always respect utility players. It’s a real skill.
There's an old sci-fi writer named Robert Silverberg who, using pseudonyms, wrote softcore novels in the early 60s. He built what he called a module system where he could mix and match sections, changing just the names and places, and was able to bang out a 50,000 word novel in a few days, and allowing him time to work on the stuff he really cared about. He became quite wealthy writing the formula stuff and respected for the sci-fi. The thing is, he said that a lot of later-prominent and -respected novelists got their start doing that kind of work. He maintains it taught discipline and, because it was pseudonymous, encouraged more daring, thereby developing creativity. Hack work has real virtues to it.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I have a box of star trek books (can't bring myself to part with those yet) and I think they may literally all have been written by alan dean foster. Adaptations of episodes. Not bad.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!