NBA 2021

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

NBA 2021

Post by WestwayKid »

I didn't see a NBA 2021 thread, so I'm starting one with less than a week left in the season. I'm a Milwaukee kid who grew up loving the Milwaukee Bucks. More than even the Brewers, the Bucks are a Milwaukee team. If you go to other parts of the state, they're not that popular. The same people who see the Green Bay Packers as belonging to the entire state, don't feel the same way about the Bucks. There is a bias towards Milwaukee and a noted bias towards basketball because it is seen as an urban game.

Milwaukee's win in Game 5 last night was incredible. I don't think many of us really expected Milwaukee to win a game in Phoenix. Sure, we knew it was possible, but I know I was mentally prepared for the series to come back to Milwaukee with Phoenix up 3-2. I could not sit still for the entire 4th quarter. I was up and down, walking around the house. When Booker got greedy and tried to run it into double coverage only to have the ball stolen and then dunked by Giannis - we were all hollering and when the clock expired - wow.

I think we're all looking forward to Tuesday night with trepidation and excitement. I think they can close it out. I really do. I'm not sure what my plans are. Part of me wants to go down to the arena. They're been having huge outdoor watch parties. I'm definitely letting the kids stay up late and considering taking Wednesday off.

I've seen Green Bay win the Super Bowl twice, but I've never seen a true Milwaukee team win a championship.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: NBA 2021

Post by tepista »

WestwayKid wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 8:20pm
I've seen Green Bay win the Super Bowl twice, but I've never seen a true Milwaukee team win a championship.
You don't remember the Braves in '57?
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 9:30pm
WestwayKid wrote:
I actually don't know many people who do.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

WestwayKid wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 9:31am
tepista wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I vaguely remember the Buffalo Braves, who left town in 1978 to become the San Diego Clippers. If they had stayed in Buffalo, I’d probably be more interested in basketball. Best of luck to the Bucks though, WWK. I hope you get to see a championship.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Kimmelweck wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 10:14am
WestwayKid wrote:
tepista wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
I vaguely remember the Buffalo Braves, who left town in 1978 to become the San Diego Clippers. If they had stayed in Buffalo, I’d probably be more interested in basketball. Best of luck to the Bucks though, WWK. I hope you get to see a championship.
bringing this whole thing full circle, I took a temporary interest in basketball last month during the Clippers run, and it made me hate the fucking Suns. So yes, Go BUCKS!
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

tepista wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 11:03am
Kimmelweck wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
tepista wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
bringing this whole thing full circle, I took a temporary interest in basketball last month during the Clippers run, and it made me hate the fucking Suns. So yes, Go BUCKS!
This city will come unglued if the Bucks pull it off. A lot of pent up sports frustration around here. Phoenix does come across as a jerky team.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

tepista wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 11:03am
Kimmelweck wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
tepista wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
And the Clippers as you know have still never won an NBA championship. You can take the franchise out of Buffalo, but you can’t take the Buffalo out of the franchise.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Great game on Saturday. That last minute where Booker's drive turned into a fast break for Giannis was crazy.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

If you're not watching the NBA then you're missing out. There's a bias against the game that walks in lockstep with the countries own bigotries and biases. Not liking basketball and/or the NBA is an easy way to let 'em know you're a bigot without saying so. The league has been so much fun and I think people are missing out. It's among the last of the pro sports where the players have unscripted personalities that are big and loud and fun.

I love watching both of these teams play. Giannis is a fantastic modern big man. Booker is a ball of old school razzle-dazzle. Tonight should be a great game.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 12:17pm
If you're not watching the NBA then you're missing out. There's a bias against the game that walks in lockstep with the countries own bigotries and biases. Not liking basketball and/or the NBA is an easy way to let 'em know you're a bigot without saying so. The league has been so much fun and I think people are missing out. It's among the last of the pro sports where the players have unscripted personalities that are big and loud and fun.

I love watching both of these teams play. Giannis is a fantastic modern big man. Booker is a ball of old school razzle-dazzle. Tonight should be a great game.
Agreed. I've long had a hunch that the Bucks are not more popular in Wisconsin because many people equate them with urban culture. Like most states, Wisconsin is divided between rural and urban. There is mistrust directed towards Milwaukee because it is seen as a bastion of everything conservatives stands against. This mistrust is very much racially motivated. I laugh because there was a point last year where I heard a lot of loudmouths in the area declare they were "done with the Bucks" because the team dared to make a stand against racial inequality, but of course now much of that is forgotten.

Anyway, yes, those who don't follow the NBA are missing out. It's a fantastic product and a lot of fun to watch.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

daredevil wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 10:21pm
Great game on Saturday. That last minute where Booker's drive turned into a fast break for Giannis was crazy.
It was crazy that Booker tried to drive the ball into a double team like that.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Congrats WWK. What a game by Antetokounmpo. Happy for ya buddy. :approve:

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Congrats to Milwaukee! I'm happy when a non-major market team wins. Giannis has been a role model with his reflections/commentary, life struggles, and achievements.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Good times in Cream City! Great vibe tonight and I’m jealous of Milwaukee.

I’m also looking forward to the Dev Booker revenge tour next year.

daredevil
Unknown Immortal

Post by daredevil »

Congratulations to Milwaukee. Giannis was a beast on offense and defense!