The Mr. & Mrs. Tepista "Everything's Bigger in Texas" Thread

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Re: The Mr. & Mrs. Tepista "Everything's Bigger in Texas" Thread

Post by Silent Majority »

Have as good a move as these things can be. I spent last night cleaning and painting at the old place so the slumlord couldn't con me out of the deposit, so my move is very nearly in the rear view. I'll be happy for you when you're in the same spot, only better cos you're in Texas.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Spiff
Mostly Nekkid

Post by Spiff »

Indeed, best wishes, tep and mrs. tep.

I find it quite amazing that you had one job for 25+ years. That's very rare these days.

And I find it amazing that you would move to Texas. (As the hip kids are saying, Thank God for Culture Clash.)

Let us know how that works out, especially after spending your first summer there.
Let fury have the hour, anger can be power
D'you know that you can use it?

-- There's no fairytale ending with cocaine.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

We've done something similar. My job of 24+ years went away (thanks covid) so we sold our house 'cos the market's crazy & we didn't want to live in Georgia anymore. Moved to Winston-Salem 2 months ago. We love it here. No job for now (I'm taking a "gap year" as the kids say). Making art, enjoying seasonal weather. Absolutely no regrets.
In space no one can hear you clash!
https://www.rmillerthings.com/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JoseUnidos wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 9:58am
We've done something similar. My job of 24+ years went away (thanks covid) so we sold our house 'cos the market's crazy & we didn't want to live in Georgia anymore. Moved to Winston-Salem 2 months ago. We love it here. No job for now (I'm taking a "gap year" as the kids say). Making art, enjoying seasonal weather. Absolutely no regrets.
Yee haw, jus' down the road from Greennbo'. One of our friends from Saskatchewan started her MA at Wake Forest the year before we moved down, and we stayed with her and her husband while we looked for a place to live. Back in the 90s, our sense was that W-S was a heavily stratified city—a *lot* of wealth and a lot of poverty, but not much in between.

The other thing I remember is that the local news couldn't cover any non-regional story without uncovering "a Piedmont connection." "There's a new Star Wars movie coming out, and there's a Piedmont connection …." "Al Gore is talking about free trade, and there's a Piedmont connection you're probably not aware of …"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

JoseUnidos wrote:
love this

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Hello,

Welcome to the Triad. Winston Salem has gotten a lot better over the last few years - crime is down and there's a nice little downtown. It's really remarkable as the city used to be Cigarette City. When driving through, you could smell tobacco from the Smith Reynolds plant. It's amazing how much Smith Reynolds crashed. Have you driven through their old office campus?

Try to get to a Wake soccer game - sit on the hill.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Spiff wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 9:14am
Let us know how that works out, especially after spending your first summer there.
"... busting broncs for the rodeo."
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

JoseUnidos wrote:
Was too curious not to look at the map and please tell me you live in Pfafftown. Because that sounds hilarious

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

gkbill wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 10:40am
It's really remarkable as the city used to be Cigarette City. When driving through, you could smell tobacco from the Smith Reynolds plant.
take me down to cigarette city, where the grass is brown and the air quality's shitty
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

JoseUnidos wrote:
wow, that is very similar. i don't know if I can take a whole gap YEAR, but I'm gonna see how long I can get away with. At least 2 months, but who know, maybe as long as 6. I'm imagining an interview asking why haven't you worked for the last year? "Fuck you, I worked for the previous 35, asshole!" haha. I'm glad it's working out, I hope for the same result, thanks :)

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 11:26am
I'm imagining an interview asking why haven't you worked for the last year? "Fuck you, I worked for the previous 35, asshole!"
"You got moxie, I say, real moxie! How'd you like to be CEO of this shit heap?"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Olaf wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 11:05am
Was too curious not to look at the map and please tell me you live in Pfafftown. Because that sounds hilarious
Everybody's looking for...Last Pfaff in Town

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

Olaf wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
We're currently living about 4 mi. southeast of P-Town. There's a nice park there that we like to take the dogs for a walk.

JoseUnidos
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JoseUnidos »

gkbill wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 10:40am
JoseUnidos wrote:
Hello,

Welcome to the Triad. Winston Salem has gotten a lot better over the last few years - crime is down and there's a nice little downtown. It's really remarkable as the city used to be Cigarette City. When driving through, you could smell tobacco from the Smith Reynolds plant. It's amazing how much Smith Reynolds crashed. Have you driven through their old office campus?

Try to get to a Wake soccer game - sit on the hill.
Thanks! The downtown area is nicely walkable & it looks like there's stuff to do so we're looking forward to checking it out more once it's safer (covid-wise) & things open up more. We've gone to a Dash game & that was great - just being outside at a baseball game was something I've really missed.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

JoseUnidos wrote:
20 Oct 2021, 1:51pm
Olaf wrote:
JoseUnidos wrote:
We're currently living about 4 mi. southeast of P-Town. There's a nice park there that we like to take the dogs for a walk.
Close enough. ;)