December 1st 1976 ...tea time!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: December 1st 1976 ...tea time!

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:46pm

I've got the whole thing in audio. I have slowed it down and that is exactly what he says. Even on the clip I posted you can clearly hear the word "impressed" as the camera pans away. I'm 100% that what I posted further up is exact.
Ah, gotcha. I trust your ears and tech skills. And the response sounds quite plausible.
It's been reprinted time and again as "Siegfried" and accepted but it's simply wrong. I mean who the fuck is "Siegfried" anyway and what does it have to do with Bill Grundy. It makes no sense at all.
I've assumed the Siegfried line was supposed to connote, "You Nazi." Which wouldn't have been out of place for the time.
Was Siegfried a Nazi or are you just making that connotation from Sieg Heil? John being John would've simply called him a Nazi. Maybe I'll upload it slowed down.
Siegfried/Ziegfried being a German name. I'm not arguing with you here—I trust your ears and your interpretation is perfectly plausible—I'm only explaining why John saying Siegfried wouldn't be completely nonsensical. Like if he said, "Oh alright, Heinrich [or Adolf or Klaus or …]"
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 3:28pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:53pm

Ah, gotcha. I trust your ears and tech skills. And the response sounds quite plausible.
It's been reprinted time and again as "Siegfried" and accepted but it's simply wrong. I mean who the fuck is "Siegfried" anyway and what does it have to do with Bill Grundy. It makes no sense at all.
I've assumed the Siegfried line was supposed to connote, "You Nazi." Which wouldn't have been out of place for the time.
Was Siegfried a Nazi or are you just making that connotation from Sieg Heil? John being John would've simply called him a Nazi. Maybe I'll upload it slowed down.
Siegfried/Ziegfried being a German name. I'm not arguing with you here—I trust your ears and your interpretation is perfectly plausible—I'm only explaining why John saying Siegfried wouldn't be completely nonsensical. Like if he said, "Oh alright, Heinrich [or Adolf or Klaus or …]"
Okay fair enough but in all my years here I've never heard of anyone calling someone Siegfried. Little Hitler or just Nazi but never Siegfried.

https://mega.nz/file/A8IHjIwQ#5b_RC8QZO ... XFC7vQm1KU

If it helps you to hear. Who knows.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 3:34pm

Thanks for posting that, but I can't decipher it one way or another. Grundy's voice dominates too much and my cloth ears fail. I wouldn't even hear the Siegfried interpretation without a textual prompt.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 3:39pm
Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 3:34pm

Thanks for posting that, but I can't decipher it one way or another. Grundy's voice dominates too much and my cloth ears fail. I wouldn't even hear the Siegfried interpretation without a textual prompt.
Fair enough. For years I thought it odd until I used headphones and slowed it down.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia