December 1st 1976 ...tea time!

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

December 1st 1976 ...tea time!

Post by Marky Dread »

Its often printed that John Rotten says "Oh alright Siegfried" in reply to Bill Grundy questioning him on the rude word.

But what he actually replies is "Oh alright so your'e playing games now, I'm well impressed".

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: December 1st 1976 ...tea time!

Post by Sparky »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 10:38am

Its often printed that John Rotten says "Oh alright Siegfried" in reply to Bill Grundy questioning him on the rude word.

But what he actually replies is "Oh alright so your'e playing games now, I'm well impressed".
I remember hearing about the Grundy show when I was younger, but not having the internet way back then, it was all second & third hand info, things we'd read in music magazines. Now many years later with YT etc., I've been able to go back and see all the things we'd heard about and it's just so fun to relive these magical moments in punk history.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Grundy propositioning Siouxsie is so disgusting. I'm glad the band, Steve in particular, responded appropriately.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Clean like the Rolling Stones...bwhahahahahah

I think I remember seeing snippets of this on tv but never the whole thing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Someone here (Marky seems a good bet) told me about this. Funny and detailed reenactment. Well worth your 20 mins.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:

What's your source for this? I've never come across a clear alternative to the Siegfried interpretation; at best, it's been treated as indecipherable.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 11:28am
Someone here (Marky seems a good bet) told me about this. Funny and detailed reenactment. Well worth your 20 mins.
Cheers Doc - I'd forgotten about this. Good fun, well cast and I'd forgotten how funny Freddie Mercury was, played by Kayvan Novak (Nandor in What We Do In The Shadows!)
Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JohnS wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 11:28am
Cheers Doc - I'd forgotten about this. Good fun, well cast and I'd forgotten how funny Freddie Mercury was, played by Kayvan Novak (Nandor in What We Do In The Shadows!)
I love the producer's admonishment, "Don't talk to the mad one!"

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 12:23pm
Marky Dread wrote:

What's your source for this? I've never come across a clear alternative to the Siegfried interpretation; at best, it's been treated as indecipherable.
I've got the whole thing in audio. I have slowed it down and that is exactly what he says. Even on the clip I posted you can clearly hear the word "impressed" as the camera pans away. I'm 100% that what I posted further up is exact.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

I've got the whole thing in audio. I have slowed it down and that is exactly what he says. Even on the clip I posted you can clearly hear the word "impressed" as the camera pans away. I'm 100% that what I posted further up is exact.
Ah, gotcha. I trust your ears and tech skills. And the response sounds quite plausible.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 1:53pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Ah, gotcha. I trust your ears and tech skills. And the response sounds quite plausible.
It's been reprinted time and again as "Siegfried" and accepted but it's simply wrong. I mean who the fuck is "Siegfried" anyway and what does it have to do with Bill Grundy. It makes no sense at all.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Marky Dread wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

It's been reprinted time and again as "Siegfried" and accepted but it's simply wrong. I mean who the fuck is "Siegfried" anyway and what does it have to do with Bill Grundy. It makes no sense at all.
I've assumed the Siegfried line was supposed to connote, "You Nazi." Which wouldn't have been out of place for the time.

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:

Funny you posted this, I was thinking about it in the shower the other day and was going to make a post asking who Siegfried is supposed to be.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I've assumed the Siegfried line was supposed to connote, "You Nazi." Which wouldn't have been out of place for the time.
Due to the cross talk, I can hear it both ways, though Marky's interpretation makes more sense.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Dec 2021, 2:27pm
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Marky Dread wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Was Siegfried a Nazi or are you just making that connotation from Sieg Heil? John being John would've simply called him a Nazi. Maybe I'll upload it slowed down.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia