MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2022

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 7:22am
One of things that impresses me about Judge is that his home runs usually seem to matter—coming from behind, breaking a tie. None of this garbage time stuff against a half-drunk reliever.
Flex will have your pink hat for this.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 8:34am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
One of things that impresses me about Judge is that his home runs usually seem to matter—coming from behind, breaking a tie. None of this garbage time stuff against a half-drunk reliever.
He's too busy mashing an email to Tucker Carlson about how Roger Maris is being canceled.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 8:43am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
He's too busy mashing an email to Tucker Carlson about how Roger Maris is being canceled.
While listening to Pennywise.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 8:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 8:43am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
While listening to Pennywise.
Or the Nuge.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Also, little known Roger Maris fact: he shares a hometown with Bob Dylan.

Also, according to Wikipedia, they also share it with Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi, Kevin McHale, winemaker Robert Mondavi, and Gary "Young girl, get out of my mind" Puckett.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:00am
https://www.foxnews.com/sports/roger-ma ... son-record

I don't disagree.
Nah, I think we're all capable of keeping two sets of books. Bonds has the official record and fans can choose whether to put a mental asterisk beside it. I mean, for me, yeah, when Frankenstein hits #62, that to me is the real record (assuming we don't find out he's been doping). But it sucked when Ford Frick diminished Maris' season with an asterisk and it's just as bad to do the same to other juicers. The numbers are what they are and we choose to give them meaning.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:04am

Also, according to Wikipedia, they also share it with Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi, Kevin McHale, winemaker Robert Mondavi, and Gary "Young girl, get out of my mind" Puckett.
I've always loved this story about Maris and a fan. The dude was sincerely humble.
https://www.vintagedetroit.com/the-incr ... -his-hero/

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

WestwayKid wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:04am

We had this Kevin McHale poster on the basement wall growing up.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:24am
WestwayKid wrote:

I don't disagree.
Nah, I think we're all capable of keeping two sets of books. Bonds has the official record and fans can choose whether to put a mental asterisk beside it. I mean, for me, yeah, when Frankenstein hits #62, that to me is the real record (assuming we don't find out he's been doping). But it sucked when Ford Frick diminished Maris' season with an asterisk and it's just as bad to do the same to other juicers. The numbers are what they are and we choose to give them meaning.
It's hard to compartmentalize it for some. I admit having a hard time giving someone who doped any recognition, but we can't pretend those numbers don't exist. Besides, who's to say Bonds wouldn't have hit 76 without help?

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Is everyone just sleeping on the fact that an 63 year old man just hit his 700th home run and that *his* team clinched the division?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I think if they want to expunge the records for dopers they need to identify verified dopers and issue lifetime bans from the game to along with record expungement. If they won't do that, then I think the records should stand (and, to be clear, I don't think they should do that).

Personally, I'm glad they've at least made a pretense of cleaning up the game from where it was in the 90s (although that's just more so I can enjoy a pleasant, self-deluding fiction since I'm sure everyone is still just cheating in new and more stealthy ways). I also don't really have that much of a bee in my bonnet about dopers. Baseball and cheating to get ahead have gone hand in hand since the birth of the game.

Honestly, putting an asterisk on any counting record made after the season expanded to 162 games makes more objective, rational sense to me than trying to arbitrarily adjudicate which forms of cheating rise to a level of meriting some special form of stigma or punishment. And I don't think we should do that either!
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

JennyB wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:43am
Is everyone just sleeping on the fact that an 63 year old man just hit his 700th home run and that *his* team clinched the division?
I feel like Pujols is somewhat tainted at this point, while Judge comes across as a clean living (and playing) All-American Hero. He's the kind of guy people want their kids looking up to (my son - a diehard Brewers fan - is also a big Judge fan).

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:24am
WestwayKid wrote:

I don't disagree.
It's hard to compartmentalize it for some. I admit having a hard time giving someone who doped any recognition, but we can't pretend those numbers don't exist. Besides, who's to say Bonds wouldn't have hit 76 without help?
Many have said that about Bonds—he didn’t need to dope to hit homers, so it’s all good. Yeah, but he did. There’s something tragic that Bonds and Clemens, two of the most gifted ballplayers of their generation, aren’t in the HoF because it still wasn’t good enough.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:43am
As much as I like dumping on Pooholes, it is cool that he did this and it was so unexpected given his decline. Is it the lead and arsenic in St. Louis’ water? If he had never signed with LAAAAAAAAA, would he have passed Baroid? Anyway, I’m old and I like feel-good stories in sports more than stuff that fuels my cynicism.