MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2022

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 1:46pm
weller259 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 1:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 12:35pm
weller259 wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 11:27pm
from what I read, Hader has one more year of arbitration where he would be expected to get around 15-16 million. He is making 11 mllion this season. So, to me, it kinda sounds like a salary dump being the main impetus to trade him, getting a closer (not quite as good) back in return plus a couple of decent prospects is a side-effect of the bigger picture (read: money) move they decided to make.

I guess the Selig family is feeling the economic pinch too. [/crocodile tears]
Bud sold the team in 2004 ;)
Yes but didn't he sell it to his children? At least that is what my brain is telling me .....
No, to his kids he sold a '01 Alero, only 195,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten it does, and he threw in a set of snow tires.
Ha! I actually went to one of his lots to look at a used car and everything was massively overrpriced.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 3:09pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 1:46pm
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:
from what I read, Hader has one more year of arbitration where he would be expected to get around 15-16 million. He is making 11 mllion this season. So, to me, it kinda sounds like a salary dump being the main impetus to trade him, getting a closer (not quite as good) back in return plus a couple of decent prospects is a side-effect of the bigger picture (read: money) move they decided to make.

Yes but didn't he sell it to his children? At least that is what my brain is telling me .....
No, to his kids he sold a '01 Alero, only 195,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten it does, and he threw in a set of snow tires.
Ha! I actually went to one of his lots to look at a used car and everything was massively overrpriced.
Every picture I've seen of Bud Selig, he looks like there should be a soup stain on his tie and cracker crumbs in the corner of his mouth.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The HosmEra begins in Boston! :twitch:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:

He sold to Mark Attanasio, who is a Brooklyn based businessman. He's been a good owner and has turned them from habitual bottom feeders to habitual playoff contenders. That said, he's still operating within the confines of one of the smallest (if not the smallest) market in MLB. I think it's clear they were not going to be able to resign Hader, so I get moving him. One thing that gets lost is that we have a guy in Devin Williams, who is pitching better than Hader and Taylor right now. He's been the 8th inning guy, but I can see him getting moved into the closer role, with Taylor being the setup man. Williams has been an absolute beast this season.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 4:40pm
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:

He sold to Mark Attanasio, who is a Brooklyn based businessman. He's been a good owner and has turned them from habitual bottom feeders to habitual playoff contenders. That said, he's still operating within the confines of one of the smallest (if not the smallest) market in MLB. I think it's clear they were not going to be able to resign Hader, so I get moving him. One thing that gets lost is that we have a guy in Devin Williams, who is pitching better than Hader and Taylor right now. He's been the 8th inning guy, but I can see him getting moved into the closer role, with Taylor being the setup man. Williams has been an absolute beast this season.
Williams has looked great from the few times i've seen him. I get the move for financial reasons but this is supposed to be "the major leagues" which by definition means (to me) that there should be no such thing as "small market" teams, that's what the minor leagues are for, smaller markets.
But then again what do I know, i'm not a billionaire.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

weller259 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 5:22pm

Maybe if you just quit it with the Starbucks and avocado toast!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 5:24pm
weller259 wrote:

Weller's not a Millennial; he's an old-as-dirt Xer like us.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2022/08/ ... -jays.html
Merrifield to the Jays. I mention this because he was one of loud and proud anti-vax mouthbreathers. I guess he's had a change of heart?

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Weird trade deadline for the Sox. Getting rid of Vasquez seemed to signal we were about to get into a fire sale - which I supported - but then all that happened were a couple of modest moves to patch up some of our worst holes. Which is fine, but doesn't feel like we should have gotten rid of Vasquez then if we weren't really in sale mode. I'm guessing Chaim was close on a couple deals that disinigrated at the last minute and we ended up kinda stuck in no man's land.

I like watching the team when they're trying to compete or they're auditioning young talent. Watching a leaky raft just try to stay afloat long enough isn't as thrilling, especially since a couple of those pickups are grade-A Known Assholes.

Addendum: the Hosmer deal is nice work tho.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 6:18pm
I like watching the team when they're trying to compete or they're auditioning young talent. Watching a leaky raft just try to stay afloat long enough isn't as thrilling, especially since a couple of those pickups are grade-A Known Assholes.
Less talented, less potential, and less likeable tells me I won't be pirating as many games going forward. The Pham trade is especially galling and confusing. The only way it makes sense to me is that Bloom thought he'd be able to move JD and then that didn't happen. Meh, whatever. Go Whoever's-Playing-the-Yankees.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:

Williams has looked great from the few times i've seen him. I get the move for financial reasons but this is supposed to be "the major leagues" which by definition means (to me) that there should be no such thing as "small market" teams, that's what the minor leagues are for, smaller markets.
In theory, you're right - but being a lifelong Brewers fan, I can assure you there are small market teams. We've obviously seen small market teams make good, just as we've seen big market team suck (Cubs, ahem). I have faith in our leadership. They've shown they're willing to throw some money around, even when we get burned (Yelich). At the end of the day - Brewers are in 1st. Losing Hader isn't going to hurt them (knock on wood). Williams is good. He should be able to shoulder the burden of closing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 7:56pm
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

In theory, you're right - but being a lifelong Brewers fan, I can assure you there are small market teams. We've obviously seen small market teams make good, just as we've seen big market team suck (Cubs, ahem). I have faith in our leadership. They've shown they're willing to throw some money around, even when we get burned (Yelich). At the end of the day - Brewers are in 1st. Losing Hader isn't going to hurt them (knock on wood). Williams is good. He should be able to shoulder the burden of closing.
In support of Weller's contention, there are, strictly speaking, no small market teams. No owner is losing money; they're all making obscene amounts, tho, yes, the Steinbrenner spawn are pocketing more in actual dollars. The idea of small and large markets is, to me, a way of managing fan expectations of how much should be spent on the team. But the Brewers damn well could go toe-to-toe with any other team if the owner were willing to accept less profit.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 6:10pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 5:24pm
weller259 wrote:

Weller's not a Millennial; he's an old-as-dirt Xer like us.
Thank you Doc...................... I think :shifty: :mrgreen:
Anyone who thinks I would pay 9 dollars for a coffee doesn't understand a new yorker's attitude about being ripped the fuck off. lol. (I don't drink coffee at all, I live on cranberry juice these days and I love it, lol)

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 7:56pm
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
weller259 wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yes, "small market" teams can be good, Tampa, Oakland (before this year), no question, and as a NL fan I respect the Brewers, they are a good team and have pitching and offensive weapons, its just sad that the one North American Major League sport without a salary cap has teams needing to make moves because of money a player might get due to them performing above average on the field. I understand it, it is after all, a business, and business is always ruled by profits, meaning that my romantic connection with the sport is based on a belief that turns out to be total bullshit.

Sighs.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

So I was just running an errand and turned on the Yankee game to hear a "it is high , it is far it is gone" for a Matt Carpenter home run. "He really nailed it!" Only to learn seconds later it was actually Rizzo who "raked it". "I got my lefties mixed up". This guy should just bow out now, too late to do it gracefully though.