MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Inder
corecore vanguard

MLB 2022

Post by Inder »

ImageImage Image

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Re: MLB 2022

Post by tepista »

Hopefully the hot stove resumes on Thursday
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'll be surprised if we get a 162-game season. I wonder if the remarkable wealth that players have now (compared to past strikes/lock-outs) makes them more willing to ride shit out longer than they would have before. Will a lost season affect how well an average player lives their life? For guys who have made enough to retire on today, and in many cases set up their children and grandchildren for life, what's the incentive to give in to owners? These aren't coal miners worrying about paying rent via strike pay.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

MLB Network is showing Game 7 of the '86 WS. I know I watched it and know the Sox had a decent lead well into the middle innings, but have zero memory of the game whatsoever. I'll watch until I get angry (which probably means seeing Schiraldi's face).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 2:19pm
MLB Network is showing Game 7 of the '86 WS. I know I watched it and know the Sox had a decent lead well into the middle innings, but have zero memory of the game whatsoever. I'll watch until I get angry (which probably means seeing Schiraldi's face).
Well obviously I cannot say anything bad about that series other than the fact that the Mets were beaten in game 6 until that miracle rally happened, to us Mets fans back then game 7 was merely a formality after game 6, we knew we were going to win somehow even with the poor start from Ron Darling. Strawberry hitting that homer in the 8th was the moment us Mets fans could first taste the championship we had been waiting for.

And now, FINALLY, the Mets are going to retire Keith Hernandez' number. He was the heart and soul of that great team and I have no idea why the Wilponzi's wouldn't retire it. This is good for the Mets to do and way overdue.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 2:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 2:19pm
Well obviously I cannot say anything bad about that series other than the fact that the Mets were beaten in game 6 until that miracle rally happened, to us Mets fans back then game 7 was merely a formality after game 6, we knew we were going to win somehow even with the poor start from Ron Darling. Strawberry hitting that homer in the 8th was the moment us Mets fans could first taste the championship we had been waiting for.
In retrospect, it's absurd to think the Sox were going to win Game 7. You don't get kicked in the nuts and get up and run full speed right away. And yet, watching now, the Sox were up 3-0 with two out, two on in the second, Darling struggling. If Buckner parks one there … :meh:
And now, FINALLY, the Mets are going to retire Keith Hernandez' number. He was the heart and soul of that great team and I have no idea why the Wilponzi's wouldn't retire it. This is good for the Mets to do and way overdue.
I associate him now with broadcasting, and he and Darling are really damned good. Definitely an elite broadcast team.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 12:22pm
I'll be surprised if we get a 162-game season. I wonder if the remarkable wealth that players have now (compared to past strikes/lock-outs) makes them more willing to ride shit out longer than they would have before. Will a lost season affect how well an average player lives their life? For guys who have made enough to retire on today, and in many cases set up their children and grandchildren for life, what's the incentive to give in to owners? These aren't coal miners worrying about paying rent via strike pay.
This is an interesting point to think about. I think we are in the midst of the biggest labor movement in our lifetime and there's no reason it would hit even the very high paid. I think the pandemic has really made people reevaluate what work is and what it means and, most importantly, who does nothing and still makes a shitload of money anyway. I am sure it's nice to make a ton of dough but in the end there is only so much you can spend vs. how much time your labor takes away from you.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
This is an interesting point to think about. I think we are in the midst of the biggest labor movement in our lifetime and there's no reason it would hit even the very high paid. I think the pandemic has really made people reevaluate what work is and what it means and, most importantly, who does nothing and still makes a shitload of money anyway. I am sure it's nice to make a ton of dough but in the end there is only so much you can spend vs. how much time your labor takes away from you.
When the pandemic began, I said that it would leave lasting changes that would have been unthinkable beforehand because that's what massive crises do. Which is to say, we wouldn't just go back to 2019 when the pandemic fades. The nature of these changes wasn't easy to predict, but the widespread re-evaluation of work was not something I expected. I thought a trend toward welfare state securities was plausible—something like universal basic income—and a shift in attitudes toward work would serve as a spur.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 2:54pm
I associate him now with broadcasting, and he and Darling are really damned good. Definitely an elite broadcast team.
Yes, us Mets fans have been totally spoiled by having Darling, Hernandez and Cohen in the booth, those 3 make an exceptional broadcast team, listening to them is really a joyous pleasure. Their first broadcast of the season, usually in the preseason, is a must-listen/watch for Mets fans who have missed baseball all winter.

But make no mistake, Keith was a tremendous player for the Mets and his influence during his playing days on the team cannot be overstated. The honor they are bestowing on him is well-deserved in the minds of any Mets fan who lived through the years before he arrived and the incredibly drastic change his mere presence had on that floundering organization.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 6:08pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Yes, us Mets fans have been totally spoiled by having Darling, Hernandez and Cohen in the booth, those 3 make an exceptional broadcast team, listening to them is really a joyous pleasure. Their first broadcast of the season, usually in the preseason, is a must-listen/watch for Mets fans who have missed baseball all winter.

But make no mistake, Keith was a tremendous player for the Mets and his influence during his playing days on the team cannot be overstated. The honor they are bestowing on him is well-deserved in the minds of any Mets fan who lived through the years before he arrived and the incredibly drastic change his mere presence had on that floundering organization.
Even before coming to the Mets, when he was with the Cardinals he was credited with shifting expectations of first basemen. Instead of hulking sluggers put in a spot where they'd least hurt the team defensively, KH showed there was value in having someone who was a pretty athletic fielder.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 7:04pm
weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Even before coming to the Mets, when he was with the Cardinals he was credited with shifting expectations of first basemen. Instead of hulking sluggers put in a spot where they'd least hurt the team defensively, KH showed there was value in having someone who was a pretty athletic fielder.
For some reason I was thinking he played on the Pirates but then I remembered the Mets did a lot of coke too.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:27pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When the pandemic began, I said that it would leave lasting changes that would have been unthinkable beforehand because that's what massive crises do. Which is to say, we wouldn't just go back to 2019 when the pandemic fades. The nature of these changes wasn't easy to predict, but the widespread re-evaluation of work was not something I expected. I thought a trend toward welfare state securities was plausible—something like universal basic income—and a shift in attitudes toward work would serve as a spur.
I'm with you and I'll add that my own worldview has certainly been affected. I am determined to never go into an office on the regular again. Part and parcel with this, I also have goddam zero tolerance with anyone wasting my time or slowing me down. Money is a means to an end, it has no glory. I'll do what I need to get mine but I'm fine if my last check bounces.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 9:21pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 7:04pm
weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

For some reason I was thinking he played on the Pirates but then I remembered the Mets did a lot of coke too.
That mid-80s Mets roster were poster children for 80s indulgence. Perhaps no surprise that so many of those guys had rough post-baseball lives.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 9:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 4:27pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I'm with you and I'll add that my own worldview has certainly been affected. I am determined to never go into an office on the regular again. Part and parcel with this, I also have goddam zero tolerance with anyone wasting my time or slowing me down. Money is a means to an end, it has no glory. I'll do what I need to get mine but I'm fine if my last check bounces.
Which is the kind of attitude that scares the hell out of the czars of society. The idea of seeing the world as something other than some kind of giant marketplace is grit in the gears. It might not be revolutionary, but not seeing universal commodification as natural and just is a huge step away from the bonfire.

BostonBeaneater

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Jan 2022, 10:12pm

Which is the kind of attitude that scares the hell out of the czars of society. The idea of seeing the world as something other than some kind of giant marketplace is grit in the gears. It might not be revolutionary, but not seeing universal commodification as natural and just is a huge step away from the bonfire.
I think it is revolutionary. Their are no protests in the streets to quell by goon squad. Those czars of society have to be confounded. It's a perfect strike with the entire system already quite taxed. I have to applaud it and applaud it loudly. The essential worker is speaking and they want a seat at the table. I suggest a review of the subreddit antiwork, some good portraits of there. As a companion check out this Financial Times piece about the antiwork subreddit and the comments from baffled capitalists, good stuff.

https://www.reddit.com/r/antiwork/

https://www.ft.com/content/1270ee18-3ee ... f40940e644