MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2022

Post by WestwayKid »

revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 9:27pm
So I was just running an errand and turned on the Yankee game to hear a "it is high , it is far it is gone" for a Matt Carpenter home run. "He really nailed it!" Only to learn seconds later it was actually Rizzo who "raked it". "I got my lefties mixed up". This guy should just bow out now, too late to do it gracefully though.
I think he's younger than Bob Uecker by at least a few years and even at 88 - Uecker still comes across loud and clear. I'm going to be devastated when he finally goes.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Aug 2022, 3:16pm
revbob wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 9:27pm
So I was just running an errand and turned on the Yankee game to hear a "it is high , it is far it is gone" for a Matt Carpenter home run. "He really nailed it!" Only to learn seconds later it was actually Rizzo who "raked it". "I got my lefties mixed up". This guy should just bow out now, too late to do it gracefully though.
I think he's younger than Bob Uecker by at least a few years and even at 88 - Uecker still comes across loud and clear. I'm going to be devastated when he finally goes.
Any reason to show Norm Macdonald's Uecker story:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
04 Aug 2022, 11:33am
The room slowly turns its eyes to Inder …
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I've been catching The Captain in spits and spurts. I'm liking it even if I've never been a die-hard Jeter fan. It paints him in a more personable light. No Andy Pettitte interviews. Bummer. Also, something I suspected about the Yankees but had it confirmed last night is that when the organization is done with you, they. are. done. Ruthless. Jeets' last year, he said, was rough because he knew they were ready to cut him free. Also, his wife, Hannah, is adorable. :kiss:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:14am
I've been catching The Captain in spits and spurts. I'm liking it even if I've never been a die-hard Jeter fan. It paints him in a more personable light. No Andy Pettitte interviews. Bummer. Also, something I suspected about the Yankees but had it confirmed last night is that when the organization is done with you, they. are. done. Ruthless. Jeets' last year, he said, was rough because he knew they were ready to cut him free. Also, his wife, Hannah, is adorable. :kiss:
The Red Sox are notorious for getting the local media to knife you on the way out of town. It's a rare player—Yaz, Papi—who is allowed to leave without stab wounds.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:53am
Mimi wrote:
The Red Sox are notorious for getting the local media to knife you on the way out of town. It's a rare player—Yaz, Papi—who is allowed to leave without stab wounds.
I had no idea. I wonder if this the way with all teams or just the high money ones.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 12:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 11:53am
Mimi wrote:
I had no idea. I wonder if this the way with all teams or just the high money ones.
The Red Sox, Yankees, and Phillies are the only ones I know of that have a rep for that kind of ruthlessness.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

The next time your team is slumping a little bit in the dog days of summer, can't seem to get a big hit, can't seem to get that last out .... last night, the Angels hit 7 home runs, including 2 by Ohtani .... and
THEY LOST.
You probably won't feel much better, but you know if your team hit 7 HR's over nine innings they'd win the damn game.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
05 Aug 2022, 4:04pm
The next time your team is slumping a little bit in the dog days of summer, can't seem to get a big hit, can't seem to get that last out .... last night, the Angels hit 7 home runs, including 2 by Ohtani .... and
THEY LOST.
You probably won't feel much better, but you know if your team hit 7 HR's over nine innings they'd win the damn game.
For extra salt, it was against the A's, who have won around five games this year.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I had a nice late afternoon today, one that was just goose-bump-inducing in its feel. I watched on TV as Jacob deGrom pitched in Citi Field for the first time in over 390 days, against our biggest current rivals, the defending champion Braves.
deGrom retired the first 17 batters he faced, 12 by strikeout. He got tired and walked the next guy then gave up a 2 run home run so they took him out as he had reached his pitch limit for the day anyway. He was electric, in a way so few pitchers ever get to experience. This guy, when healthy, is simply outstanding. Electric fastball, gripping diving slider, outstanding control, he paints corners throwing 100+ MPH. As they say "chicks dig the long ball" and don't we all but i'll take great pitching all day long.
With Scherzer and deGrom now both healthy [crosses fingers] and Diaz striking out nearly everyone, the Mets have the potential to do some serious damage if they can just stay healthy.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
07 Aug 2022, 8:17pm
I had a nice late afternoon today, one that was just goose-bump-inducing in its feel. I watched on TV as Jacob deGrom pitched in Citi Field for the first time in over 390 days, against our biggest current rivals, the defending champion Braves.
deGrom retired the first 17 batters he faced, 12 by strikeout. He got tired and walked the next guy then gave up a 2 run home run so they took him out as he had reached his pitch limit for the day anyway. He was electric, in a way so few pitchers ever get to experience. This guy, when healthy, is simply outstanding. Electric fastball, gripping diving slider, outstanding control, he paints corners throwing 100+ MPH. As they say "chicks dig the long ball" and don't we all but i'll take great pitching all day long.
With Scherzer and deGrom now both healthy [crosses fingers] and Diaz striking out nearly everyone, the Mets have the potential to do some serious damage if they can just stay healthy.
deGrom has that Pedro-in-his-prime quality where you think every start could be something amazing. There are great pitchers, but very, very few have that "must see" quality. Halladay or Lincecum are the last guys that come to mind for me for that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://sports.yahoo.com/pete-rose-comp ... 49070.html

In case anyone was wondering, Pete Rose remains scum.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Aug 2022, 6:56am
https://sports.yahoo.com/pete-rose-comp ... 49070.html

In case anyone was wondering, Pete Rose remains scum.
And continues to reach new lows.