MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2022

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I rarely look at the NL standings but was surprised to see this morning that the Mets are a full 3 games better than the Yankees right now. Is Weller allowing optimism to infect him yet?
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 9:38am
I rarely look at the NL standings but was surprised to see this morning that the Mets are a full 3 games better than the Yankees right now. Is Weller allowing optimism to infect him yet?
The Yankees have officially been terrible in the 2nd half, not putting up runs it seems.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 9:55am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Yankees have officially been terrible in the 2nd half, not putting up runs it seems.
End of the game last night, the announcers said it was the ninth time this year they've been shutout. Which is remarkable for a team that was unbeatable for the first two and a half months.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Inder wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 11:37am
Iove how this guy is just wearing a baseball hat on his head

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 12:06pm
Inder wrote:
Baseball caps offer full immunity to all diseases.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 12:09pm
revbob wrote:
Inder wrote:
Trump voter

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 1:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 12:09pm
revbob wrote:
Inder wrote:
Trump voter
There is a 0.000% chance that Sale, if he votes, didn't vote Trump.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mets fan? Optimism?
Mets fans as a norm are currently waiting for the other shoe to drop. Injuries, car accidents, hedge clipper accidents, nothing is off the table for us Mets fans right now. Me personally I am excited at what they can do IF HEALTHY, with Scherzer and deGrom and a very capable rest of the starting rotation along with Edwin Diaz who has been lights out the entire season, plus the focus on actually hitting the ball as opposed to slugging it occasionally, the Mets are in position to find themselves capable of serious damage in the postseason but they need to make it there first. All I know is, any team that has 2 top pitchers in their rotation could be a nightmare to have to face in a 5 or 7 game series so the Mets have a legitimate shot if they stay healthy.
I can't say i'm optimistic quite yet, let's say i'm cautiously hopeful. Anything can happen as the season winds down and the pressure to win increases and while many Mets fans are getting all "new york boisterous" i'm not one of them.
Not yet, anyway.
The Braves are very good too and they are one series sweep away from being right with us. Mets need to stay healthy and if they can do that (no easy feat for the Mets) they have a real chance which as a Mets fan is all we really have ever asked for.
Having said all that, I am really enjoying this season a lot. But what is sort of hovering in the back of my mind is last year when the Mets were in first place for 100+ days and ended up finishing the season with a LOSING record. But they are playing much more consistent this season and the way they focus more on making contact rather than swinging for the fences every swing is actually enjoyable to watch and in my view its a better type of baseball they are playing this season than they have for several years. The current Mets do not give up, they are always battling and that is a trait that is easy to root for. But their pitching is what will make or break them. They have 16 wins by shutout this season so far (tops in MLB) and it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that its easier to win games if you don't allow the other team to score a lot of runs on you.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Inder wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 2:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mets fan? Optimism?
Mets fans as a norm are currently waiting for the other shoe to drop. Injuries, car accidents, hedge clipper accidents, nothing is off the table for us Mets fans right now. Me personally I am excited at what they can do IF HEALTHY, with Scherzer and deGrom and a very capable rest of the starting rotation along with Edwin Diaz who has been lights out the entire season, plus the focus on actually hitting the ball as opposed to slugging it occasionally, the Mets are in position to find themselves capable of serious damage in the postseason but they need to make it there first. All I know is, any team that has 2 top pitchers in their rotation could be a nightmare to have to face in a 5 or 7 game series so the Mets have a legitimate shot if they stay healthy.
I can't say i'm optimistic quite yet, let's say i'm cautiously hopeful. Anything can happen as the season winds down and the pressure to win increases and while many Mets fans are getting all "new york boisterous" i'm not one of them.
Not yet, anyway.
The Braves are very good too and they are one series sweep away from being right with us. Mets need to stay healthy and if they can do that (no easy feat for the Mets) they have a real chance which as a Mets fan is all we really have ever asked for.
Having said all that, I am really enjoying this season a lot. But what is sort of hovering in the back of my mind is last year when the Mets were in first place for 100+ days and ended up finishing the season with a LOSING record. But they are playing much more consistent this season and the way they focus more on making contact rather than swinging for the fences every swing is actually enjoyable to watch and in my view its a better type of baseball they are playing this season than they have for several years. The current Mets do not give up, they are always battling and that is a trait that is easy to root for. But their pitching is what will make or break them. They have 16 wins by shutout this season so far (tops in MLB) and it doesn't take an Einstein to realize that its easier to win games if you don't allow the other team to score a lot of runs on you.
This all seems sensible to me—plenty of baseball to play yet, but they've put themselves in a very nice position. And, yeah, having Max and deGrom going twice each in a seven-game series is very comforting. There isn't another team in baseball that would feel good about going up against that. If the team is healthy come October, I'd give them the edge over the Dodgers.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 2:58pm
This all seems sensible to me—plenty of baseball to play yet, but they've put themselves in a very nice position. And, yeah, having Max and deGrom going twice each in a seven-game series is very comforting. There isn't another team in baseball that would feel good about going up against that. If the team is healthy come October, I'd give them the edge over the Dodgers.
Well, make no mistake, the Dodgers are really good and they are a deep team, plenty of weapons both offensively and pitching-wise. The one thing that the Mets struggle with this season (and to be fair, for the last few seasons) is hitting left-handed pitching and the Dodgers have Kershaw, Urias who both have given the Mets problems, plus they also have a couple lefties in their bullpen, not to mention their righty starters who are pretty good too, like Gonsolin. The Dodgers also don't give up many runs. They come to Citi Field the end of August for 3 and I am really looking forward to seeing those 3 games, they will give the Mets a better idea where they are at in terms of competing with the top team in baseball. The Mets and Dodgers split 4 games in LA earlier but we didn't have deGrom then, so.... but that's getting ahead of myself. The rest of this seasson should be very entertaining and also nailbiting. lol.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 4:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
15 Aug 2022, 2:58pm
Well, make no mistake, the Dodgers are really good and they are a deep team, plenty of weapons both offensively and pitching-wise. The one thing that the Mets struggle with this season (and to be fair, for the last few seasons) is hitting left-handed pitching and the Dodgers have Kershaw, Urias who both have given the Mets problems, plus they also have a couple lefties in their bullpen, not to mention their righty starters who are pretty good too, like Gonsolin. The Dodgers also don't give up many runs. They come to Citi Field the end of August for 3 and I am really looking forward to seeing those 3 games, they will give the Mets a better idea where they are at in terms of competing with the top team in baseball. The Mets and Dodgers split 4 games in LA earlier but we didn't have deGrom then, so.... but that's getting ahead of myself. The rest of this seasson should be very entertaining and also nailbiting. lol.
Prediction: Kershaw and his fibreglass back will be a non-factor in the post-season this year.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »