MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2022

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 4:58pm
I love "homegrown" players too, its an awesome thing in my opinion. My favorite players over the decades have always been the homegrown ones, guys we drafted and eventually brought up. Gooden, Strawberry, Seaver, Koosman, Hubie Brooks, David Wright, Alonso, deGrom, its a great thing and a mark of a strong organization that can draft and develop their own star players.
Of course, when said homegrown players mature and want to get paid and ownership decides to trade them rather than pay them (Wilponzis were famous for this tactic) and instead overpay someone from another organization to come play for us when they've done nothing for our organization ........ loyalty in sports is an outdated concept for everyone but the fans apparently. Hoping my team's new owner will not be like that.
As much of a colossal asshole George Steinbrenner was, I appreciated that he paid for talent. He was a meddling, headline-obsessed fuckstick, but he didn't pennypinch with his team.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Scherzer humiliating the yankees. :rolleyes:

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 5:05pm
As much of a colossal asshole George Steinbrenner was, I appreciated that he paid for talent. He was a meddling, headline-obsessed fuckstick, but he didn't pennypinch with his team.
That was always my thing as well, everyone would ask me why I didn't outrightly hate Steinbrenner and the Yankees and I would say because of his impulse-buying of players and his desire to win at all costs in the same geographical area as my team, he put pressure on my team to do things, pressured them to try and be the best they could be. Of course, the Wilpons were basically unaffected, but the public perception of them being "penny pinchers to the extreme" was not far from the reality in most years.
George was an absolute asshole, no question about it, but he loved his team and he wanted to win more than he wanted to make money, a trait that has not been passed down to his children it appears.

So, my Mets took both games versus the Evil Empire which is really nice and all. The biggest thing now is for these next games to be every bit as important to the players to win as these last two were. The Mets head to Miami to play a team that can pitch but is currently 15 games behind them in the standings. The Mets did good winning these 2 games, but they must claw and fight against any letdowns due to the opponents. Still over 60 games to go and anything can happen. The Mets' division lead is only 4 games in the loss column so they are in a dogfight the rest of the way trying to fend off the reigning World Series champions and every game counts.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Who brings up Jesus in stat comparisons?
Attachments
JC.png
JC.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 613 times
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

tepista wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:08pm
jesus played smallball and his WAR suffered for it
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
31 Jul 2022, 12:08pm

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Sports fans are the worst.

Milwaukee just traded Josh Hader to San Diego and people are losing their minds. Worst trade ever! Typical penny pinching Brewers!

I get it. People get emotional when a fan favorite goes, but I also feel like this kind of stuff separates those who know the game from those who just repeat what they hear.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 3:15pm

Milwaukee just traded Josh Hader to San Diego and people are losing their minds. Worst trade ever! Typical penny pinching Brewers!

I get it. People get emotional when a fan favorite goes, but I also feel like this kind of stuff separates those who know the game from those who just repeat what they hear.
Well, if they're going to trade him, they should have traded him to the Nationals and Angels for Soto and Ohtani. That's how you build a winner.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

WestwayKid wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 3:15pm

Monkey said the haul was great, and he watches MLB network 24 hours a day. Even when they're showing the Sandlot he's reading the scroll, I assume.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

from what I read, Hader has one more year of arbitration where he would be expected to get around 15-16 million. He is making 11 mllion this season. So, to me, it kinda sounds like a salary dump being the main impetus to trade him, getting a closer (not quite as good) back in return plus a couple of decent prospects is a side-effect of the bigger picture (read: money) move they decided to make.

I guess the Selig family is feeling the economic pinch too. [/crocodile tears]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Padres win the Soto sweepstakes, plus pick up Josh Bell while dumping Hosmer. Real GFIN moves.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

weller259 wrote:
01 Aug 2022, 11:27pm
from what I read, Hader has one more year of arbitration where he would be expected to get around 15-16 million. He is making 11 mllion this season. So, to me, it kinda sounds like a salary dump being the main impetus to trade him, getting a closer (not quite as good) back in return plus a couple of decent prospects is a side-effect of the bigger picture (read: money) move they decided to make.

Bud sold the team in 2004 ;)
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 12:35pm
weller259 wrote:

Yes but didn't he sell it to his children? At least that is what my brain is telling me .....

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 1:33pm
WestwayKid wrote:
02 Aug 2022, 12:35pm
weller259 wrote:

Yes but didn't he sell it to his children? At least that is what my brain is telling me .....
No, to his kids he sold a '01 Alero, only 195,000 miles on it and purrs like a kitten it does, and he threw in a set of snow tires.

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »