MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2022

Post by revbob »

Screenshot_2016-07-10-17-01-35.png
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:58pm
weller259 wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 6:31am
weller259 wrote:
19 May 2022, 11:29pm
https://nypost.com/2022/05/19/yankees-a ... s/?src=rss
The first part of this is what i've been saying for quite a long time now. To quote:
"The Yanks’ radio option of John Sterling remains what it has been since 1989: a chore to suffer his clownish, obnoxious, self-smitten, condescending act and wildly inaccurate descriptions."
That is the voice of the Yankees.
The Yankees' broadcasts, both TV and radio, are a disgrace.
A weller259ian dis of John Sterling!
OMG I read this in John Sterling's voice and it made me cringe!
:cool: I'm glad that came thru.
It explains a lot about how Yankees fans become the way they are (generalization).
When that is the quality of voices they hear when watching/listening to the games, its no surprise that the fans are "clownish, obnoxious, self-smitten, condescending and wildly inaccurate". You have to admit, the description pretty accurately describes not only the broadcasters, but (most of) their fans as well.

How does a franchise go from Mel Allen to John Sterling/Michael Kay? Its disgraceful, and a total insult to baseball broadcasts and broadcasters everywhere.
It's the whole "27 rings," "True Yankee," "pride & pinstripes" crap that seeks to make them more than just the most successful team in MLB history, but some kind of moral superiority to it all. Be rightfully proud or grateful that you're rooting for a team that has provided a shit-ton of fantastic memories, but there's nothing superior to them or the fans. All fanbases are fundamentally assholish knuckledraggers, so don't put a halo over this one.
You don't know what you're talking about.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:17pm
Fully agree that the Mets have the best tv team. Padres and Giants are also top-notch. I watched a Tigers game earlier this year and was struck by how little their booth talked—they only offered things up when it seemed warranted. I'm not sure I'd want that all the time, but it was kinda cool having a big chunk of the game being just the sound on the field and the stands.
I agree with you,the Giants broadcasts are high quality, as for the Padres, I need to watch a few more of their broadcasts. West coast games I tend to watch more Giants or Dodgers only because their teams' games are generally speaking more entertaining to me.
As for the Tigers' broadcasts, its got to be difficult to broadcast for a team that has had a few down years in a row, seemingly just spinning their wheels. Trying to make an upbeat broadcast for fans of a doldrum-infused team cannot be easy, it might just be easier (and better) for them to let the crowd and the pictures do the talking. I remember some broadcast a few years back maybe, where the tv broadcast just used basic graphics on the screen like normal and the field mics to describe what the pictures were showing. Not sure if it was a MLB Network broadcast or ESPN or someone else but I do seem to remember that it wasn't a bad way to watch a game on TV.
I wish for baseball's sake the Yankees would do that, a radio broadcast featuring just the ambient sounds of the game would be more insightful and accurately descriptive than John Sterling, lol.

Edit: cleaning up typos.
Way back in the 80s, I think, an NFL game was shown without commentary. I think baseball benefits more from the silences because it's not as violent and has more pauses.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:35pm

Weirdly, I think the Red Sox are second after the Yankees (maybe overall or just AL). It's a crazy gap, but still.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:56pm
revbob wrote:

Weirdly, I think the Red Sox are second after the Yankees (maybe overall or just AL). It's a crazy gap, but still.
In terms of asshole fandom? The gap is not nearly as wide as you may think. I say it having lived in both fandom areas and Vermont is the outskirts of Red Sox fan assholedom and its quite strong here.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2022, 4:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

In terms of asshole fandom? The gap is not nearly as wide as you may think. I say it having lived in both fandom areas and Vermont is the outskirts of Red Sox fan assholedom and its quite strong here.
Oh god yes. The combination of Pats and Red Sox doubtless makes them complete entitled assholes. But I do think there is a distinction still in Yankees dragging out the pride and pinstripes and True Yankee shit to make them morally superior. You're a team. A very successful team. But not somehow intrinsically superior to, say, the Orioles.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 4:48pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Oh god yes. The combination of Pats and Red Sox doubtless makes them complete entitled assholes. But I do think there is a distinction still in Yankees dragging out the pride and pinstripes and True Yankee shit to make them morally superior. You're a team. A very successful team. But not somehow intrinsically superior to, say, the Orioles.
The Orioles? I beg to differ.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2022, 4:52pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 4:48pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

The Orioles? I beg to differ.
In the 1960s and 70s, a premiere team. A dumpster fire on top of a tire fire since Angelos acquired the team.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On this, the cursed day of my birth, the Red Sox won their third straight game for the first time this season. My rough sense is that, in the 21st c, they've won around 80% of the time on my b’day.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 10:28pm
On this, the cursed day of my birth, the Red Sox won their third straight game for the first time this season. My rough sense is that, in the 21st c, they've won around 80% of the time on my b’day.
You need to have more birthdays

Addendum: Sox looking pretty watchable all of a sudden. Glad to see my boy Story is finally hitting like I know he could.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
21 May 2022, 12:14pm
You need to have more birthdays
I've thought before it would be borderline funny for someone to keep changing their birthday here so that every day the system announces it. Just this slightly dickish thing to falsely announce your special day every day.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Did you guys see Yadi and Poopholes pitch? I didn't, but everyone is talking about them.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

JennyB wrote:
23 May 2022, 11:31am
Did you guys see Yadi and Poopholes pitch? I didn't, but everyone is talking about them.
I did! They both got shelled, which is what major league hitters should have done to them. It was fun seeing them out there, grinning at first then when balls go flying over the wall they kind of shrugged.

Poopholes had 2 HRs in their game yesterday, both were blasts I might add.
Never been a huge fan of Molina because he's hurt my team many times over the years.
But the Cards pitchers hit so many of the Mets hitters, we have scores to settle with them. Winning the season series was nice but getting plunked (in the head more than once too) will be addressed when these teams play again next season I can assure you.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Really got to hand it to those Yankees. They're beating up on the Red Sox in the ole racism category this season.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 May 2022, 9:55pm
Really got to hand it to those Yankees. They're beating up on the Red Sox in the ole racism category this season.
Pinky Higgins wept!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
23 May 2022, 9:55pm
What happened?