MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2022

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 12:32pm
The Cards are playing the Jays tonight and neither Aranado not Goldschmidt are vaxxed. Idiots.
Part of the "I'd Do Anything For My Team*" All-Stars.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 2:49pm
JennyB wrote:
The Cards are playing the Jays tonight and neither Aranado not Goldschmidt are vaxxed. Idiots.
The Meat Loaf dream team: I'd do anything for my team (but I won't do that).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It especially works because I fucking hate Meat Loaf's music.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 3:32pm
Flex wrote:
25 Jul 2022, 3:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
It especially works because I fucking hate Meat Loaf's music.
Don't we all?
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Red Sox fans fighting each other as team implodes.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/26/red-sox-f ... able-july/

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 12:38pm
Red Sox fans fighting each other as team implodes.

https://nypost.com/2022/07/26/red-sox-f ... able-july/
Way more fight than the team on the field.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

so its Mets vs. Yankees for a quick 2 game thing. People are all excited. It would matter more to me if this was October, but other than Houston, nobody has really handled the Yankees this season and I have no reason to think the Mets will handle them either. But the games will be fun, regardless. I mean, you ALWAYS want to smack the Yankees around if you can ...... :shifty:

Edit: adding a stat I heard on SNY tonight, Pete Alonso this season has seen the 2nd fewest strikes in the zone of any qualified batter in MLB. I'd love to see the official stat that Gary Cohen was talking about to better clarify it but holy crap. Only Javy Baez has seen a fewer percentage of strikes in the zone this season.
Last edited by weller259 on 26 Jul 2022, 8:24pm, edited 1 time in total.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 7:31pm
so its Mets vs. Yankees for a quick 2 game thing. People are all excited. It would matter more to me if this was October, but other than Houston, nobody has really handled the Yankees this season and I have no reason to think the Mets will handle them either. But the games will be fun, regardless. I mean, you ALWAYS want to smack the Yankees around if you can ...... :shifty:

Edit: adding a stat I heard on SNY tonight, Pete Alonso this season has seen the fewest strikes in the zone of any qualified batter in MLB. I'd love to see the official stat that Gary Cohen was talking about to better clarify it but holy crap.
Well they seem to be doing well enough. Yankees have been kind of flat the last month.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 8:24pm
weller259 wrote:
26 Jul 2022, 7:31pm

Edit: adding a stat I heard on SNY tonight, Pete Alonso this season has seen the fewest strikes in the zone of any qualified batter in MLB. I'd love to see the official stat that Gary Cohen was talking about to better clarify it but holy crap.
Well they seem to be doing well enough. Yankees have been kind of flat the last month.
Yes they have but with their roster they can erupt at any time. Few weak links on that team this season so far.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fifth place in the East as of today. Ah well, we'll always have June, when they beat up even shittier teams …

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 7:54am
Fifth place in the East as of today. Ah well, we'll always have June, when they beat up even shittier teams …
This team was never going to be all-champs but a bunch of key injuries and a shockingly competitive division are two huge stories here. I mean, yeah, we're in 5th place but we're also sitting at .500. I expect us to dip a bit further and then crawl but about to around there as folks start coming of IL, but it's hard to say June was just about beating up bad teams (although we certainly were) when July saw a raft of injuries to key guys turn us into a pretty different (and worse) team.

I've watched at least some of every game this season except for, I dunno, 2 or 3 of them and even I've been like "who the fuck are these people" on a few of our callups lately.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:35pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 7:54am
This team was never going to be all-champs but a bunch of key injuries and a shockingly competitive division are two huge stories here. I mean, yeah, we're in 5th place but we're also sitting at .500. I expect us to dip a bit further and then crawl but about to around there as folks start coming of IL, but it's hard to say June was just about beating up bad teams (although we certainly were) when July saw a raft of injuries to key guys turn us into a pretty different (and worse) team.

I've watched at least some of every game this season except for, I dunno, 2 or 3 of them and even I've been like "who the fuck are these people" on a few of our callups lately.
Yes, but all teams have injuries, all teams lose key guys for stretches. Even conceding it's worse for the Red Sox in number and concentration, I have a hard time thinking it's been that much worse. I'm not overly bothered by it (beyond the team being barely watchable of late) because I've assumed that it's still very much a team in transition, to becoming Bloom's vision. Last year was kind of flukey and fun, so I don't see this as a serious step backwards or anything, but more of a reversion to what a rebuild looks like. Clear out more of the Dombrowski deals (g'bye, Nate and JD) and see what Bloom does with more elbow room.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:42pm

Yes, but all teams have injuries, all teams lose key guys for stretches. Even conceding it's worse for the Red Sox in number and concentration, I have a hard time thinking it's been that much worse. I'm not overly bothered by it (beyond the team being barely watchable of late) because I've assumed that it's still very much a team in transition, to becoming Bloom's vision. Last year was kind of flukey and fun, so I don't see this as a serious step backwards or anything, but more of a reversion to what a rebuild looks like. Clear out more of the Dombrowski deals (g'bye, Nate and JD) and see what Bloom does with more elbow room.
The Yankees, to pick one example, have allocated less than half the amount of payroll to DL'd guys as we have so far this season. There are teams with comparable numbers as us in terms of DL allocations (money, number of players, days of DL accumulated), but not too many and none in as high-achieving a division as ours. I agree we're not just, like, losing a golden season to injury but I think we're seeing a level of injury that often derails otherwise good-but-not-great teams. Which I guess is what I think we are if we're mostly healthy. And folks will come back so maybe that's what the back stretch of the season will look like (although we may be out of it by then).

I agree it's really the long twilight of the Dombrowski era, so the next few seasons will be really interesting to see with a roster and system that are fully Bloom's. I'm looking forward to it, for sure.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 1:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
27 Jul 2022, 12:42pm

The Yankees, to pick one example, have allocated less than half the amount of payroll to DL'd guys as we have so far this season. There are teams with comparable numbers as us in terms of DL allocations (money, number of players, days of DL accumulated), but not too many and none in as high-achieving a division as ours. I agree we're not just, like, losing a golden season to injury but I think we're seeing a level of injury that often derails otherwise good-but-not-great teams. Which I guess is what I think we are if we're mostly healthy. And folks will come back so maybe that's what the back stretch of the season will look like (although we may be out of it by then).
I think this is all fair. I saw them as a borderline-to-likely WC team at the start of the season, but not a threat to make much noise in October, which, without the injuries seems about right.
I agree it's really the long twilight of the Dombrowski era, so the next few seasons will be really interesting to see with a roster and system that are fully Bloom's. I'm looking forward to it, for sure.
I'm very enthused to seeing more drafted guys make their way to the majors, especially when the Sox do have a number of promising young guys. One of the best things about 2018 was that so many of the guys on that team came up thru the system. There's a silly romantic quality to all that, but it's genuine for me.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

I love "homegrown" players too, its an awesome thing in my opinion. My favorite players over the decades have always been the homegrown ones, guys we drafted and eventually brought up. Gooden, Strawberry, Seaver, Koosman, Hubie Brooks, David Wright, Alonso, deGrom, its a great thing and a mark of a strong organization that can draft and develop their own star players.
Of course, when said homegrown players mature and want to get paid and ownership decides to trade them rather than pay them (Wilponzis were famous for this tactic) and instead overpay someone from another organization to come play for us when they've done nothing for our organization ........ loyalty in sports is an outdated concept for everyone but the fans apparently. Hoping my team's new owner will not be like that.