MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: MLB 2022

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 6:49pm
Mimi wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 6:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 5:53pm
Off-season, MLB Network is constantly showing Ken Burns' Baseball, and I'll flip by and figure, okay, I'll watch 15 minutes. Two hours later …
I tried so hard to watch that but gave up after a few episodes. Why does he have to drag everything out?
I go the other way. I want more. I'll sometimes think, meh, not that interested in the 1910s and then, dang, there's a whole lot going on there. Or the 1930s—just some great stories. It's all so damned romantic—which normally grates on me as a historian—and it works.
Heh. I have the attention span of gnat.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 6:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 6:49pm
Mimi wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 6:01pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 5:53pm
Off-season, MLB Network is constantly showing Ken Burns' Baseball, and I'll flip by and figure, okay, I'll watch 15 minutes. Two hours later …
I tried so hard to watch that but gave up after a few episodes. Why does he have to drag everything out?
I go the other way. I want more. I'll sometimes think, meh, not that interested in the 1910s and then, dang, there's a whole lot going on there. Or the 1930s—just some great stories. It's all so damned romantic—which normally grates on me as a historian—and it works.
Heh. I have the attention span of gnat.
Which is normally me! Baseball is ritalin. :cool:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

On the other hand, how many versions of (a) Take Me Out to the Ballgame and (b) The Star-Spangled Banner does any person need? (Answer: Way way less than Ken Burns thought.)
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 9:01pm
On the other hand, how many versions of (a) Take Me Out to the Ballgame and (b) The Star-Spangled Banner does any person need? (Answer: Way way less than Ken Burns thought.)
At least one more.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 9:05pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 9:01pm
At least one more.
Way way less.

(I could never be a Cubs fan because I just find that song annoying as hell due to its overuse.)

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Jacob deGrom signed a 5 year $185,000,000.00 contract with the Texas Rangers today.

Sad to see Jake go. It really sucks. I am not angry with him, it is a business and he took the best offer he had apparently. What upsets me more is that we got outbid for him. If this was the Wilpons then him leaving would have been a fait accompli. But this isn't the Wilpons anymore. Jake was an icon. There is no good reason for the Mets not to keep him whatever the cost. We may never really know how this all went down so I don't want to make a rash assumption. But letting him go is not the way to make this team better.

I remember the day they traded Tom Seaver. It was a funeral for a franchise. It took them 8 years to approach relevancy again.

I understand the rationale that says well he'll be 35 next year, and given his recent injury history, 5 years at that salary is risky. I understand Jake saying give me the money, he certainly deserves every penny he can get. The only reason it hurts me is because i'm a fan. And as a fan for many decades, this one hurts.

Its easy for me to say shit give him whatever he wants, because after all, its not my money. But that is bullshit really. He should have been a career Met for all he's already done for the franchise. Think of the merchandising alone, PLENTY of money to be made by the Mets off his presence over 5 years if they kept him around. To be fair, there is no deferred money on Jake's deal which the Mets surely would have wanted Jake to agree to. Plus he got a full no-trade clause, and a 6th year option worth another possible 37 million.

And also we must remember that Texas has no state income tax.
New York has state tax. And city tax.
But you pay the tax to live in a place that is what New York is to the country. And now he will be getting more of his salary in a place that is to the country what Texas is. You get what you pay for. Now Jake's wife and their daughters have fewer rights to their own bodies, they get represented by the likes of Ted Cruz, their electricity will go out when its needed the most, but at least he'll have more money. That is his choice for his family, and so be it. May the deity of his choice bless him.

I cannot believe the Mets got outbid for him.

As a fan, this really sucks. Merry Christmas, Mets fans.

Let's Go Mets.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

While cleaning upabit today I picked up a baseball. And it has been a while since I really noticed how small a baseball is. Its remarkable that anyone can manage to hit one of these traveling 95+ mph.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

About an hour after learning from his general manager, Billy Eppler, that Jacob deGrom was signing with the Texas Rangers, Steve Cohen wished the pitcher well, and eyed the future.

“I wish him well,” Cohen told SNY on Friday night. “He has the right to choose his team. Now this team has to move on to the next thing.”
According to sources, deGrom never gave the Mets the chance to make a last, best offer.

“By the time we heard from him, he was so down the road with Texas, it was happening,” a Mets source said.

:twitch:

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:09pm
While cleaning upabit today I picked up a baseball. And it has been a while since I really noticed how small a baseball is. Its remarkable that anyone can manage to hit one of these traveling 95+ mph.
Indeed. And you've only got 60' 6" to see it before you gotta hit it.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:22pm
revbob wrote:
And it's actually less than that. 60' 6" is from front of rubber to back of home plate. And the release point of most pitchers is going to be even closer to home plate which make a difference at those speeds.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:21pm
About an hour after learning from his general manager, Billy Eppler, that Jacob deGrom was signing with the Texas Rangers, Steve Cohen wished the pitcher well, and eyed the future.

“I wish him well,” Cohen told SNY on Friday night. “He has the right to choose his team. Now this team has to move on to the next thing.”
According to sources, deGrom never gave the Mets the chance to make a last, best offer.

“By the time we heard from him, he was so down the road with Texas, it was happening,” a Mets source said.

Youse guys is gonna overpay for Verlander now.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:40pm
weller259 wrote:
02 Dec 2022, 11:22pm
revbob wrote:
And it's actually less than that. 60' 6" is from front of rubber to back of home plate. And the release point of most pitchers is going to be even closer to home plate which make a difference at those speeds.
And then to try to hit that with a cylinder whose width is roughly the same size as that ball. It's really unlikely that a person should be able to do so successfully, let alone reliably. Even the most slapdick hitter in the majors is a freak.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Dec 2022, 7:38am
weller259 wrote:

And there it is:

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:

Justin Verlander signed with the Mets for 2 years and $86,000,000.00
The Doctor was spot-on.

At least these Mets went out and did something after being rebuffed by their home-grown star.
I hope that Verlander still has his shit together because after all he is 39/40 years old.
If not, the Mets are screwed.
I hope that they are not done acquiring pitchers.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
05 Dec 2022, 2:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:

Justin Verlander signed with the Mets for 2 years and $86,000,000.00
The Doctor was spot-on.

At least these Mets went out and did something after being rebuffed by their home-grown star.
I hope that Verlander still has his shit together because after all he is 39/40 years old.
If not, the Mets are screwed.
I hope that they are not done acquiring pitchers.
There is a distinct possibility that Verlander pitches more innings in his 2 or 3 years with the Mets than DeGrom does in his 5 years with the Rangers. Both deals are wincing, but I like the Mets one more.