MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2022

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:26am
WestwayKid wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 10:04am
Also, little known Roger Maris fact: he shares a hometown with Bob Dylan.

Also, according to Wikipedia, they also share it with Manson prosecutor Vincent Bugliosi, Kevin McHale, winemaker Robert Mondavi, and Gary "Young girl, get out of my mind" Puckett.
I've always loved this story about Maris and a fan. The dude was sincerely humble.
https://www.vintagedetroit.com/the-incr ... -his-hero/
Very cool story.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

JennyB wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 11:43am
Is everyone just sleeping on the fact that an 63 year old man just hit his 700th home run and that *his* team clinched the division?
I was very confused by this post til I read the follow-ups. Seriously. Sorry despite the Mets having an uncharacteristically good season the northeast is AL country.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I'm happy for Judge, he certainly deserves what praise he receives. For me, while Bonds, McGwire and Sosa did hit X homeruns, they did cheat and regardless of how many they would have hit/could have hit without the performance-enhancing substances, the facts remain that they did in fact use those substances so we'll never know. Its all on them for doing it. They got what they wanted which is better paying contracts and media attention, since they wanted that at the expense of the sport's reputation, they do not deserve my acceptance of their numbers. The Hall Of Fame is right in my opinion not to let the steroid-era record-breakers to enter the hall with fanfare and hoopla that non-cheaters get. Their numbers are what they are, they will be there for better or worse, but they do not deserve recognition by the baseball Gods because they cheated.
Yes, Bonds was a hall of fame type player before the drugs, so was Clemens. Neither of them needed to cheat to succeed at a high level, but THEY CHOSE TO cheat and there are ramifications to those choices they made. They are now paying the price for their choices in life. Like, you know, we all must do.

I acknowledge that Bonds hit 73 that year, because he did. But he cheated. End of story.

Personally I don't care if people want to accept the steroid-era stats or not. That is up to everyone's personal preferences and that's fine. I choose not to romanticize their performances.
As for Pooholes, i'm happy for him too. He could always hit the shit out of the ball.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 2:03pm
The Hall Of Fame is right in my opinion not to let the steroid-era record-breakers to enter the hall with fanfare and hoopla that non-cheaters get. Their numbers are what they are, they will be there for better or worse, but they do not deserve recognition by the baseball Gods because they cheated.
That’s where I’m at precisely. The numbers will always be in the record books. That can’t be denied. But it’s no injustice that they can’t get voted into the Hall. That’s an honour and if the HoF voters decide being a likely doper means they don’t deserve it—regardless of the stats—I’m cool with that. Nobody is owed a HoF induction.*

* Except Jeter, duh.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I chuckled:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Hessman
Hessman holds the all-time record for International League home runs, when he hit his 259th on June 30, 2014, breaking Ollie Carnegie's record set in 1945.[1] In 2015, he broke Buzz Arlett's record for the most career minor league home runs, hitting his 433rd on August 3, 2015.[2]

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 3:27pm
I chuckled:
Giggles aside, that's fucking amazing that he wasn't a slugger in the minors.

To Yankee Haters (aka good, sensible people), who was the last Yankee who was genuinely likeable to the same degree? Rivera comes to mind, but I'd probably lean to Mantle (he's probably my favourite Yankee of all time).
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Sep 2022, 7:03pm
Flex wrote:
I chuckled:

To Yankee Haters (aka good, sensible people), who was the last Yankee who was genuinely likeable to the same degree? Rivera comes to mind, but I'd probably lean to Mantle (he's probably my favourite Yankee of all time).
I'd vote for Mariano Rivera. From childhood I'd say Dave Winfield, Don Mattingly... most of the guys from the 80s mediocre squads when the Yanks really didn't have a good villain.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Bernie Williams easily a likeable fave. It helps his case that he was good but not great. A rep built totally on being a solid dude.

Not a bad jazz guitar player either.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:50am
Bernie Williams easily a likeable fave. It helps his case that he was good but not great. A rep built totally on being a solid dude.

Not a bad jazz guitar player either.
All of these things you mention are likable. Likable things that were fuel for the hate.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I chuckled:

I'd vote for Mariano Rivera. From childhood I'd say Dave Winfield, Don Mattingly... most of the guys from the 80s mediocre squads when the Yanks really didn't have a good villain.
The best thing about Winfield is that his presence on the team led to Steinbrenner being suspended.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 11:44am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
I chuckled:

Donnie Baseball always seemed like a really cool dude.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

Data that some may find interesting:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2022/09/29/pi ... &cm_ainfo=

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 1:31pm
Hello,

I'm curious how long the gap is in the minors between the final out of a half-inning and the first pitch of the next. To me, the biggest problem for lengthening games is all the commercials between half innings, which I assume aren't the same amount for minor league games. Pitch clock and throw-overs is seems like having a diet coke instead of actually changing your diet and exercising more (and, duh, I know MLB won't go against advertisers, but that is the problem here).

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

gkbill wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 1:31pm
Hello,

I cannot say with my vocabulary just how much I despise the entire concept of a "pitch clock".
I cannot say with my vocabulary just how much I despise how umpires check pitchers for sticky stuff AFTER they pitch. IF you must check pitchers for sticky stuff, do it as they ENTER the game, NOT as they leave the mound. That is SO demeaning to the players, its abhorrent to me.
Changing the game in these kind of ways is total bullshit and ruins the entire experience for me. Fixing something that isn't broken is never a smart idea. Like adding a runner at 2nd base to begin extra innings. Its like the shootout in hockey, a total fucking gimmick that diminishes the sport.
If teams complain that they don't have enough pitching to contest an extra innings game, then maybe they should make teams' rosters larger, or better yet, maybe teams shouldn't be managed the way they are. Teams should be penalized for mismanagement of bullpens, for using too many pitchers during the 9 innings and not having any left in case of a tie. Letting teams off the hook for poor in-game management is just another way of cheapening the game's entire being. Adding roster spots costs teams money so of course they are against that but ruining the game action and strategy involved to overcome this new tendency to overuse their bullpens is again total bullshit. Sigh
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope