MLB 2022

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2022

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2022, 2:19pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 1:58pm
revbob wrote:
17 May 2022, 1:53pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 1:45pm
revbob wrote:
17 May 2022, 1:32pm
20220517_133041.jpg

Where do I start?
What's the vintage of the unopened packs?
Those are 1990, I also have cards from 89 and 91, possibly otheres. Some in unopened boxes.
I'm just curious whether, if you're looking to make cash, unopened packs have greater value to collectors. Genuinely have no idea what those weirdos fetishize.

I have a copy of Cramer's bio of Joe DiMaggio—it painted a very unpleasant picture of the man. I have a hunch Ted got the same treatment.
My dad was a Yankees fan thru and thru but he definitely had respect for Ted
Ted was very much a complicated man. Proud but insecure, loyal to his friends but childishly petty towards others, a personal perfectionist but downright shitty father to his kids. One of my best friends as an undergrad was a farm kid, and Ted hunted on his grandpa's land in the 80s a few times. My buddy's grandpa didn't really know much about baseball, so he didn't know much about Teddy Ballgame, but said that Ted was an ideal hunter—polite and respectful to the land and people he was around.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 2:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 1:45pm

What's the vintage of the unopened packs?
Those are 1990, I also have cards from 89 and 91, possibly otheres. Some in unopened boxes.
I'm just curious whether, if you're looking to make cash, unopened packs have greater value to collectors. Genuinely have no idea what those weirdos fetishize.

I have a copy of Cramer's bio of Joe DiMaggio—it painted a very unpleasant picture of the man. I have a hunch Ted got the same treatment.
Ted was very much a complicated man. Proud but insecure, loyal to his friends but childishly petty towards others, a personal perfectionist but downright shitty father to his kids. One of my best friends as an undergrad was a farm kid, and Ted hunted on his grandpa's land in the 80s a few times. My buddy's grandpa didn't really know much about baseball, so he didn't know much about Teddy Ballgame, but said that Ted was an ideal hunter—polite and respectful to the land and people he was around.
And getting back to the cards, my uncle got caught up in that craze back in the late 80s early 90s.

My options are :

1)Keep them
2)Keep them and try and sell them, split profits with siblings.
3)Sell them via estate sale. Guy gets 30% and I split 70% with siblings.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2022, 2:38pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
17 May 2022, 2:27pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

And getting back to the cards, my uncle got caught up in that craze back in the late 80s early 90s.

My options are :

1)Keep them
2)Keep them and try and sell them, split profits with siblings.
3)Sell them via estate sale. Guy gets 30% and I split 70% with siblings.
I'd send out inquiries to collector places to see whether unopened packages have any special significance to them. If so, go with #2.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Yes you guys are right the Yankees are playing incredibly well.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
17 May 2022, 11:14pm
Yes you guys are right the Yankees are playing incredibly well.
I switched to watching pro-am darts tournaments weeks ago.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

https://nypost.com/2022/05/19/yankees-a ... s/?src=rss
The first part of this is what i've been saying for quite a long time now. To quote:
"The Yanks’ radio option of John Sterling remains what it has been since 1989: a chore to suffer his clownish, obnoxious, self-smitten, condescending act and wildly inaccurate descriptions."
That is the voice of the Yankees.
The Yankees' broadcasts, both TV and radio, are a disgrace.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
19 May 2022, 11:29pm
The first part of this is what i've been saying for quite a long time now. To quote:
"The Yanks’ radio option of John Sterling remains what it has been since 1989: a chore to suffer his clownish, obnoxious, self-smitten, condescending act and wildly inaccurate descriptions."
I can't speak to the TV broadcast as I dont get YES. Cone seems good, but yeah the radio team is garbage.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
A weller259ian dis of John Sterling!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 6:31am
weller259 wrote:
OMG I read this in John Sterling's voice and it made me cringe!
It explains a lot about how Yankees fans become the way they are (generalization).
When that is the quality of voices they hear when watching/listening to the games, its no surprise that the fans are "clownish, obnoxious, self-smitten, condescending and wildly inaccurate". You have to admit, the description pretty accurately describes not only the broadcasters, but (most of) their fans as well.

How does a franchise go from Mel Allen to John Sterling/Michael Kay? Its disgraceful, and a total insult to baseball broadcasts and baseball broadcasters everywhere.
Last edited by weller259 on 20 May 2022, 2:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

double post, my apologies

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:49pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 6:31am
weller259 wrote:
OMG I read this in John Sterling's voice and it made me cringe!
:cool: I'm glad that came thru.
It explains a lot about how Yankees fans become the way they are (generalization).
When that is the quality of voices they hear when watching/listening to the games, its no surprise that the fans are "clownish, obnoxious, self-smitten, condescending and wildly inaccurate". You have to admit, the description pretty accurately describes not only the broadcasters, but (most of) their fans as well.

How does a franchise go from Mel Allen to John Sterling/Michael Kay? Its disgraceful, and a total insult to baseball broadcasts and broadcasters everywhere.
It's the whole "27 rings," "True Yankee," "pride & pinstripes" crap that seeks to make them more than just the most successful team in MLB history, but some kind of moral superiority to it all. Be rightfully proud or grateful that you're rooting for a team that has provided a shit-ton of fantastic memories, but there's nothing superior to them or the fans. All fanbases are fundamentally assholish knuckledraggers, so don't put a halo over this one.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
20 May 2022, 12:53am
weller259 wrote:
I can't speak to the TV broadcast as I dont get YES. Cone seems good, but yeah the radio team is garbage.
Cone is decent, much better than I expected him to be, Paul O'Neill isn't too bad either if you can get past his "country-boy-drawl", at least those two guys played and had success as players, if they show some slight arrogance as per their analysis at least they have some chops to back it up, Michael Kay is arrogant and obnoxious and has ZERO credibility to back up the nonsense he spouts. Truly a disgrace.
And i'm not a Yankee-hating Mets fan, I don't mind the Yankees team being good, I always felt that them being good would put pressure on the Mets to be good as well, to try and get to that high a standard of play on the field. But in the broadcast booths, its not even close.
These three guys are in my opinion the Gold standard in 2022.
Attachments
garykeithron.0.0.jpg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Fully agree that the Mets have the best tv team. Padres and Giants are also top-notch. I watched a Tigers game earlier this year and was struck by how little their booth talked—they only offered things up when it seemed warranted. I'm not sure I'd want that all the time, but it was kinda cool having a big chunk of the game being just the sound on the field and the stands.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 2:58pm

It's the whole "27 rings," "True Yankee," "pride & pinstripes" crap that seeks to make them more than just the most successful team in MLB history, but some kind of moral superiority to it all. Be rightfully proud or grateful that you're rooting for a team that has provided a shit-ton of fantastic memories, but there's nothing superior to them or the fans. All fanbases are fundamentally assholish knuckledraggers, so don't put a halo over this one.
I totally agree with you. Every fanbase has those types, no question. I know many smart, sharp Yankees fans who are not total obnoxious arrogant braggarts, but they are not the ones throwing batteries at the opposition's outfielders. Unfortunately, not only in sports/baseball but in everyday life, the people who desperately need logical, humanity-focused messages to reach their brains are the least likely to hear those messages in the first place.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 May 2022, 3:17pm
Fully agree that the Mets have the best tv team. Padres and Giants are also top-notch. I watched a Tigers game earlier this year and was struck by how little their booth talked—they only offered things up when it seemed warranted. I'm not sure I'd want that all the time, but it was kinda cool having a big chunk of the game being just the sound on the field and the stands.
I agree with you,the Giants broadcasts are high quality, as for the Padres, I need to watch a few more of their broadcasts. West coast games I tend to watch more Giants or Dodgers only because their teams' games are generally speaking more entertaining to me.
As for the Tigers' broadcasts, its got to be difficult to broadcast for a team that has had a few down years in a row, seemingly just spinning their wheels. Trying to make an upbeat broadcast for fans of a doldrum-infused team cannot be easy, it might just be easier (and better) for them to let the crowd and the pictures do the talking. I remember some broadcast a few years back maybe, where the tv broadcast just used basic graphics on the screen like normal and the field mics to describe what the pictures were showing. Not sure if it was a MLB Network broadcast or ESPN or someone else but I do seem to remember that it wasn't a bad way to watch a game on TV.
I wish for baseball's sake the Yankees would do that, a radio broadcast featuring just the ambient sounds of the game would be more insightful and accurately descriptive than John Sterling, lol.

Edit: cleaning up typos.
Last edited by weller259 on 20 May 2022, 3:38pm, edited 1 time in total.