The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2022 Edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2022 Edition

Post by revbob »

Don Wilson from the Ventures.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Missed this 2 days ago:

Clark Gillies, former New York Islander and Buffalo Sabre, age 67
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 1:42pm
Missed this 2 days ago:

Part of that great Brian Trottier and Mike Bossy line.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 2:07pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Missed this 2 days ago:

Part of that great Brian Trottier and Mike Bossy line.
Yup. Apparently he signed with the Astros in 1970 and played 3 years of minor league baseball before being drafted by the Isles in 1974.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Missed this 2 days ago:

I saw that. I think I've mentioned that back during their glory years, my household was officially an Islander household (despite not really caring about hockey). My brother-in-law was close friends with Lorne Henning—they grew up together—so we paid attention to the team at the right time (LH got an assist on Nystrom's Cup-winning goal in OT against the Flyers). Come playoff time, I watched every Islander game I could and still remember the core—Bossy, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Hesch and Smith, the Sutters, Nystrom, Goring, Tonelli, Bourne.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 2:15pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Missed this 2 days ago:

I saw that. I think I've mentioned that back during their glory years, my household was officially an Islander household (despite not really caring about hockey). My brother-in-law was close friends with Lorne Henning—they grew up together—so we paid attention to the team at the right time (LH got an assist on Nystrom's Cup-winning goal in OT against the Flyers). Come playoff time, I watched every Islander game I could and still remember the core—Bossy, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Hesch and Smith, the Sutters, Nystrom, Goring, Tonelli, Bourne.
Yeah, awesome core. Another baseball tidbit - wiki notes that Gillies platooned at 1st base with Bourne in the Astros minor league system before they both pursued professional hockey instead. Probably a good choice.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Missed this 2 days ago:

Yeah, awesome core. Another baseball tidbit - wiki notes that Gillies platooned at 1st base with Bourne in the Astros minor league system before they both pursued professional hockey instead. Probably a good choice.
If for no other reason than not ending up in Houston.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Missed this 2 days ago:

I forgot you mentioned this. The Isles were my team to. I kind of dropped following hockey about 30 years ago.

Heston
God of Thunder...and Rock 'n Roll

Post by Heston »

Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 6:04pm
My recall of Bat out of hell is it was pretty a big deal where i was based and while it wasn't my bag, i always associated it with the "classic" category. Seemed to be more appreciated in the UK for some reason, at least had a good bit more than 2 hits this side of the pond.

Yes, I'm surprised at people on here calling them a one hit wonder, I always assumed they were as big in America.

I grew up with Bat Out of Hell and I do like the title track, and You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth is a fantastic song. I also thought Deadringer For Love was a shitkicking little ditty.
There's a tiny, tiny hopeful part of me that says you guys are running a Kaufmanesque long con on the board

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

Heston wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 4:14pm
Low Down Low wrote:
22 Jan 2022, 6:04pm
My recall of Bat out of hell is it was pretty a big deal where i was based and while it wasn't my bag, i always associated it with the "classic" category. Seemed to be more appreciated in the UK for some reason, at least had a good bit more than 2 hits this side of the pond.

Yes, I'm surprised at people on here calling them a one hit wonder, I always assumed they were as big in America.

I grew up with Bat Out of Hell and I do like the title track, and You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth is a fantastic song. I also thought Deadringer For Love was a shitkicking little ditty.
KISS lover.😉

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

I watched every Islander game I could and still remember the core—Bossy, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Hesch and Smith, the Sutters, Nystrom, Goring, Tonelli, Bourne.
I think you mean Chico Resch, not Hesch.
I am a life-long Rangers fan who lived for 50+ years 2 miles from the Nassau Coliseum (Isles home arena) and had to suffer through those 4 damn cups. If it wasn't for the Rangers and John Davidson in goal in the spring of 1979, those Isles teams would have won 5 in a row.
So, needless to say, I despised those Islanders, to this day I still despise them, POTVIN SUCKS, and especially Mr. Gillies. I will always remember fights Gillies had with Terry O'Reilly (Bruins), those battles were much more entertaining than the games they played.

As for Mr. Loaf, the best thing about his music was using Phil Rizzuto to voice that part in Paradise. Otherwise, he, to me, was like Herman Munster singing "Them Dry Bones".
I am more upset about Ronnie Spector.
I didn't think much of Louie Anderson either, he just didn't make me laugh very much.
And I too wake up every day and hope to hear that Trump is on his deathbed. 2022 has been a huge disappointment so far on all fronts.

From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 5:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I watched every Islander game I could and still remember the core—Bossy, Potvin, Trottier, Gillies, Hesch and Smith, the Sutters, Nystrom, Goring, Tonelli, Bourne.
I think you mean Chico Resch, not Hesch.
Whoops—typo!
I am a life-long Rangers fan who lived for 50+ years 2 miles from the Nassau Coliseum (Isles home arena) and had to suffer through those 4 damn cups. If it wasn't for the Rangers and John Davidson in goal in the spring of 1979, those Isles teams would have won 5 in a row.
So, needless to say, I despised those Islanders, to this day I still despise them, POTVIN SUCKS, and especially Mr. Gillies. I will always remember fights Gillies had with Terry O'Reilly (Bruins), those battles were much more entertaining than the games they played.
A Mets and Rangers fan? Oh my, your sporting fandom has been drenched in misery. Thank goodness you got the Schmucks in '94. Islanders-Habs in '79, tho, would have been immense, a potential passing-of-the-torch final.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 5:35pm
A Mets and Rangers fan? Oh my, your sporting fandom has been drenched in misery. Thank goodness you got the Schmucks in '94. Islanders-Habs in '79, tho, would have been immense, a potential passing-of-the-torch final.
I am also a life-long Knicks and Jets fan so yes, plenty of sportsfan misery in my rolodex, lol.
I respected those Islanders teams, you could plainly see they were the class of the league, in 1978-79 they had the best record and were very scary to play against, it was John Davidson and a plucky underdog Rangers team that just put it all together that spring.
I also agree, a Canadiens/Isles final that year would have been epic.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 6:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I am also a life-long Knicks and Jets fan so yes, plenty of sportsfan misery in my rolodex, lol.
Your sports fan soul must be just thick with scars. That said, when those wins happen, they are pure heroin.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 7:29pm
weller259 wrote:
23 Jan 2022, 6:28pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Your sports fan soul must be just thick with scars. That said, when those wins happen, they are pure heroin.
That is very true.
I really need a fix.
I'm not getting any younger. lol