The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2022 Edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2022 Edition

Post by Marky Dread »

Flex wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 1:41pm
Marky Dread wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 11:39am
If people here don't know how much he influenced Joe and only know him from GoT then that's kind of sad. And it's a real loss to their music library.

Wilko was a force of nature.
I meant more like just normal people. I imagine on this board the people who at least recognize his contributions as foundational to the music they love approaches 100%.
I got that first time mate. I was just pointing that I doubt many viewers of GoT even knew who Wilko was. But the reality is for rock n roll fans he was an incredible force.

Everyone should watch "Oil City Confidential" at least once. Dr. Feelgood broke down a lot of barriers for the following UK punk scene.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
Curfews have been curbing
The end of liberty

We're the flowers in the dustbin...
No fuchsias for you.

"Without the common people you're nothing"

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

motorsmell wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 2:06pm
Wilko for me was one of the finest guitarists of all time. His style is incredible and I'll forever be proud to have seen him play 4 or 5 times. Last time was May at bearded theory, he was one of the highlights for me. Met him backstage at Norwich about 5 years ago and he was an absolute gent. In 2020 I was doing a radio show for MMH radio and managed to sort a 2 hour Wilko interview special episode.
https://mmhradio.co.uk/no-regrets-08-12 ... n-special/
That looks great mate, gonna definitely have a piece of it. Thanks for sharing.

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

motorsmell wrote:
Wilko for me was one of the finest guitarists of all time. His style is incredible and I'll forever be proud to have seen him play 4 or 5 times. Last time was May at bearded theory, he was one of the highlights for me. Met him backstage at Norwich about 5 years ago and he was an absolute gent. In 2020 I was doing a radio show for MMH radio and managed to sort a 2 hour Wilko interview special episode.
Nice one - thanks so much for sharing.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
Excellent.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

Low Down Low wrote:
23 Nov 2022, 4:54pm
motorsmell wrote:
That looks great mate, gonna definitely have a piece of it. Thanks for sharing.
No worries enjoy

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

Some warts-n-all insights into Wilko here from Jim Driver, music promoter who worked with and sort of managed Wilko for many years.

Ignore Alien Hors d'oeuvres

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

motorsmell wrote:
This looks brilliant, cheers!

JohnS
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by JohnS »

motorsmell wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, it's great, fun to listen to Wilko chatting at length to someone he seems at ease with.
Some good questioning too, which he must have enjoyed a bit more than the usual stuff about his playing style and the Feelgoods story. I'd forgotten he worked with Topper. Interesting that Wilko rated him highly cos he was 'loud' - the thing that Topper says he concentrated on when auditioning for the Clash. And yes, where are those demos?!
And very poignant to hear Wilko chuckling about his stash of old tapes and he's not too bothered about sorting things out and archiving them for posterity - 'rock and roll is ephemeral, when it's gone, it's gone'
I hope some of his archive gets to see the light of day eventually.

motorsmell
Junco Partner

Post by motorsmell »

JohnS wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 5:32am
motorsmell wrote:
Thanks for sharing this, it's great, fun to listen to Wilko chatting at length to someone he seems at ease with.
Some good questioning too, which he must have enjoyed a bit more than the usual stuff about his playing style and the Feelgoods story. I'd forgotten he worked with Topper. Interesting that Wilko rated him highly cos he was 'loud' - the thing that Topper says he concentrated on when auditioning for the Clash. And yes, where are those demos?!
And very poignant to hear Wilko chuckling about his stash of old tapes and he's not too bothered about sorting things out and archiving them for posterity - 'rock and roll is ephemeral, when it's gone, it's gone'
Thanks very much. Over the lockdown I did quite alot of podcast interviews with punk/rock n roll folk and the main reason was to ask questions I wanted to know the answer to. If you listen to 10 Wilko interviews 9 of them will be almost exactly the same, most interviewers don't have a fucking clue and it drives me mad...glad you enjoyed it and yes I hope that shrubbery has been cut back and the Wilko archives have been saved!

I sorted the interview out through Dylan's Mrs Zoe (who also co authored one of Wilkos books and did the excellent Brillaux bigoraphy) any way....she gave me Wilkos landline and we arranged a time etc...when I called Wilko had either not been told about it or had forgotten...so I asked him "well do you fancy doing it anyway" and he said " Man...I've been sat on this sofa doing nothing for months...It would be a pleasure".

Another hero gone, my advice is treasure these people and catch them when you can...

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

motorsmell wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 6:01am
JohnS wrote:
motorsmell wrote:
Thanks very much. Over the lockdown I did quite alot of podcast interviews with punk/rock n roll folk and the main reason was to ask questions I wanted to know the answer to. If you listen to 10 Wilko interviews 9 of them will be almost exactly the same, most interviewers don't have a fucking clue and it drives me mad...glad you enjoyed it and yes I hope that shrubbery has been cut back and the Wilko archives have been saved!

I sorted the interview out through Dylan's Mrs Zoe (who also co authored one of Wilkos books and did the excellent Brillaux bigoraphy) any way....she gave me Wilkos landline and we arranged a time etc...when I called Wilko had either not been told about it or had forgotten...so I asked him "well do you fancy doing it anyway" and he said " Man...I've been sat on this sofa doing nothing for months...It would be a pleasure".

Another hero gone, my advice is treasure these people and catch them when you can...
Agreed mate. They're one-off.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Low Down Low
Unknown Immortal

Post by Low Down Low »

motorsmell wrote:
25 Nov 2022, 6:01am
JohnS wrote:
motorsmell wrote:

Have only listened to first half hour and really enjoying it so far, lovely warmth about it and he was palpably enthused to take the call! Love how he described himself as an "old skiffler" as i sometimes think the influence of skiffle can get overlooked a bit. Looking forward to hearing the rest.

laxman
Unknown Immortal

Post by laxman »

So sad to hear that the legend Doddie Weir has passed away.

This defence of his crime while on tour with the British Lions is a classic.

Marky Dread
Messiah of the Milk Bar

Post by Marky Dread »

laxman wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 2:02pm
So sad to hear that the legend Doddie Weir has passed away.

This defence of his crime while on tour with the British Lions is a classic.

52 is very young. RIP Doddie.

Forces have been looting
My humanity
The end of liberty

No fuchsias for you.

Nos Sumus Una Familia

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
26 Nov 2022, 3:03pm
Irene Cara, 63
https://www.npr.org/2022/11/26/11392759 ... -cara-dies

That's a shock.
I was dozing off onthe couch earlier and heard this.