Football season USA

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: Football season USA

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 8:24pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 8:09pm
Complete garbage sport. The more I learn about football the more ghoulish I see it. The NFL and its college plantation system really illustrate all of modern society’s ills.

Yes, there's a degree of celebrity and temporary higher wages, but it's not *that* dissimilar to Industrial Revolution era devouring and discarding of human bodies.
They even have this scheme a Gillette Stadium where the concessions are done by volunteers from local ‘charities’ where in the worker gets nothing, the ‘charity’ gets a buck beer and the Pats get free labor and a tax write off.

It kills me when that they all call that pervert Mr Kraft.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Flex wrote:
08 Dec 2022, 8:28pm
Luckily for me, the pats have become so garbage I can start pretending I'm not watching games for moral reasons.
You’re just saying that to cheer me up. Thanks buddy. :mrgreen:

Seriously, I’ve been there. It’ll probably get better for the Pats in about 15 years. What a run your guys have had though. I’m envious.

My hope is that Josh Allen and the Bills can win it all just once. Then I’ll probably tune out American football for good. It has all become a bit ghoulish, as BBE says. With the latest news today that Von Miller is done for the year, it really feels like us Bills fans just can’t have good things. We’d be 12-0 if it weren’t for the injuries this year. Take a look at the turf at Ford Field (Detroit) about a third of the way down in this article. Imagine playing on this, less than two inches above the concrete. Two Thanksgivings in a row we’ve lost key guys to injury on this kind of stuff:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/ ... 669717007/
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

We might finally just be killing the players right on the field for everyone to see: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 771929007/

Awful stuff. You can find footage of Hamlin just collapsing on the field after the play, stomach churning stuff (I won't link it here).
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Flex wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 10:38pm
We might finally just be killing the players right on the field for everyone to see: https://www.democratandchronicle.com/st ... 771929007/

Awful stuff. You can find footage of Hamlin just collapsing on the field after the play, stomach churning stuff (I won't link it here).
Was watching at my parents’ house. Left a little while ago when the game was suspended and just got home. Horrible situation. Hoping Hamlin pulls through. Don’t really care about the result of the game or if they continue it at this point.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Good call to pull the plug on the game for tonight. No point in continuing under these circumstances.

Hoping for the best for Damar Hamlin. :cry:

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Really hoping for the best for this young man. Truly a sad situation.

What's also sad? The anti-vax crowd who has seized on this moment to continue to push their agenda. This kid did not suffer cardiac arrest because he'd been vaccinated.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
02 Jan 2023, 11:17pm
Good call to pull the plug on the game for tonight. No point in continuing under these circumstances.

I can't believe how long it took them to call the game. A few years back, a Blues player collapsed on the ice and they called it within 20 minutes. And he was conscious and stable.
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 10:27am

What's also sad? The anti-vax crowd who has seized on this moment to continue to push their agenda. This kid did not suffer cardiac arrest because he'd been vaccinated.
Yeah I noticed some of the anti-vax comments on Twitter. It was really just a freak cardiac incident from a blow to the chest. That kind of thing has happened in many sports – hockey, soccer, lacrosse, etc. – and long before covid vaccines.

I saw an update last night from his friend and marketing rep, who was at the hospital with him. Seems like Hamlin’s vitals have been stabilized, though he was intubated, sedated, and on assisted breathing. Sounds like a shred of positive news at least, but still in critical condition. So surreal to watch the other players in shock/tears.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

JennyB wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 10:55am
Kimmelweck wrote:

I can't believe how long it took them to call the game. A few years back, a Blues player collapsed on the ice and they called it within 20 minutes. And he was conscious and stable.
It took a while, but at least they finally made the right call. I don’t think anyone knew what to do.

On another note…Hamlin had set up a charity toy drive for kids, with a goal of $2,500. Since his incident last night, in 12 hours it has raised over $3 million from nearly 130k different donors. :approve:

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 11:14am
JennyB wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

It took a while, but at least they finally made the right call. I don’t think anyone knew what to do.

On another note…Hamlin had set up a charity toy drive for kids, with a goal of $2,500. Since his incident last night, in 12 hours it has raised over $3 million from nearly 130k different donors. :approve:
I saw that. Remarkable.
Got a Rake? Sure!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Kimmelweck wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

I saw that wrestler Chris Jericho donated $5K, but spelled his name "Chrus" by mistake. To "rectify" his mistake, he donated another $5K - this time with his name spelled correctly.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 10:27am

The John Stockton theory...
https://amp.marca.com/en/basketball/nba ... b457c.html

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

WestwayKid wrote:
03 Jan 2023, 12:23pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
[On another note…Hamlin had set up a charity toy drive for kids, with a goal of $2,500. Since his incident last night, in 12 hours it has raised over $3 million from nearly 130k different donors. :approve:
I saw that wrestler Chris Jericho donated $5K, but spelled his name "Chrus" by mistake. To "rectify" his mistake, he donated another $5K - this time with his name spelled correctly.
That’s great. Before Monday night, his charity had apparently raised about $74k. In less than 3 days since the incident, the total donations are now over $7.4 million from over 227k donors. Very heartwarming to see the outpouring of support for Damar.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Some good news on Damar Hamlin. He opened his eyes last night and, though he can’t speak due to being intubated, was able to communicate in writing.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Jan 2023, 6:40pm
Some good news on Damar Hamlin. He opened his eyes last night and, though he can’t speak due to being intubated, was able to communicate in writing.

This is one of those situations that brings people together. Like when the Chilean miners got rescued. I'm sounding cheesy and sappy, but this brings tears to my eyes. He just seems like such a sweet and kind kid.
Got a Rake? Sure!