Football season USA

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: Football season USA

Post by WestwayKid »

I rarely like playing into the Wisconsin/alcohol stereotype, but it's a "special" night in Wisconsin when the Packers are on late playing/fighting for a playoff spot. I've stocked up with provisions so I can stay off the roads tonight. It can/will get ugly no matter the outcome.

That said, it's also super exciting. When you're from this state - you've likely been raised on the Green & Gold. It's a way of life around here.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Jan 2023, 6:34pm
I rarely like playing into the Wisconsin/alcohol stereotype, but it's a "special" night in Wisconsin when the Packers are on late playing/fighting for a playoff spot. I've stocked up with provisions so I can stay off the roads tonight. It can/will get ugly no matter the outcome.

That said, it's also super exciting. When you're from this state - you've likely been raised on the Green & Gold. It's a way of life around here.
Yeah I’ll be watching the Packers game tonight. Got my alcohol sorted earlier today too. As a fellow cold-weather team, I’ve always liked the Packers.

The Bills returning their opening kickoff for a touchdown today got me back in the football mood. (Sorry Flex, you've had your fun. :mrgreen:)

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Tommy supposedly for real retiring. I think it sticks this time. He seemed pretty unhappy playing this last season. Still a top 1/3rd or so QB at his age 46 season. Unreal. I was lucky to be a NE fan coming of age right as Tom took the field. I got to watch him play from my sophomore year in high school to being a dad in my late 30s. Just mind boggling. Probably the last major icon of my youth hanging it up. I will never love football the way I did when Tom was playing in Foxborough. The best the sport could ever be.

And just like that, life takes on more hues of autumn.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

As I said a few months back, I think he's going to be a weird, weird guy in retirement. Pseudo-scandals that are more embarrassing than shocking.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 10:57am
Tommy supposedly for real retiring. I think it sticks this time. He seemed pretty unhappy playing this last season. Still a top 1/3rd or so QB at his age 46 season. Unreal. I was lucky to be a NE fan coming of age right as Tom took the field. I got to watch him play from my sophomore year in high school to being a dad in my late 30s. Just mind boggling. Probably the last major icon of my youth hanging it up. I will never love football the way I did when Tom was playing in Foxborough. The best the sport could ever be.

It's crazy that I point to him as "hey, i'm not that old, there's still an NFL qb at the top of his game that's older than me" and he's like 4 years older than me. His retirement aged me instantly.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

matedog wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 11:29am
Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 10:57am

It's crazy that I point to him as "hey, i'm not that old, there's still an NFL qb at the top of his game that's older than me" and he's like 4 years older than me. His retirement aged me instantly.
Correction, he's six years older than me.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm always taken aback that Martin Luther King, Jr., was 38 when he was murdered. Insanely young given his accomplishments and stature after death.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:38pm
I'm always taken aback that Martin Luther King, Jr., was 38 when he was murdered. Insanely young given his accomplishments and stature after death.
Doesn't have as many super bowl rings as Brady tho

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 12:38pm
Doesn't have as many super bowl rings as Brady tho
MLK and Belichick is the fantasy pairing that could have changed the country.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Tom Brady, the man who threw away his super model wife and family so he good go 8-9 and text with Ron Desantis on the regular. I look forward to his further monsterfication now that he has more time on his hands. Maybe Brett Favre will cut him in on his stealing welfare game.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 1:55pm
Tom Brady, the man who threw away his super model wife and family so he good go 8-9 and text with Ron Desantis on the regular. I look forward to his further monsterfication now that he has more time on his hands. Maybe Brett Favre will cut him in on his stealing welfare game.
You damn kids with your slang.

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 2:03pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
You damn kids with your slang.
fuck it

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
I'd like to think he's savvy enough not to go full Schilling, but some liberal Massholes are going to be conflicted in future years.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Real hard to say. I've always found him to be pretty savvy about public image, but I suspect there was a lot of Giselle's influence there. I think if he takes to the sportscaster role with gusto he'll mostly keep a lid on what are his undoubtedly more repellent personal views. Also, I mean, the Mannings host Trump fundraisers and no one really gives a shit so I'm sort of curious what it would take to move the needle.

His farewell video was very human and down to earth, much more like the Tom I think of with NE. If that's the tone he plans to take going forward, I think he'll be pleasantly dull in retirement.

His retirement is is impacting me a lot more than I thought it would, even compared to his momentary retirement last year. I think of all the years I spent talking about Brady and the Pats with Boddington, in college and apartments, then over text and Internet. And how I can't talk to him about this final development.

That gets me to thinking of crisp Fall afternoons at my grandmother's on the Cape watching the games, with her now having passed years ago and the house long gone. Or cozy winter days at the tail end of the season at my aunt and uncle's house, an old 1700s farmhouse just up the road from The Blade in Walpole. That's for sale too now.

Or out here in Colorado, getting early ski days in before saddling up to a bar to catch an early apres drink and the game, back when I lived in the mountains and was mayorin' and living what I thought was a bit of my dream life. Going further back to seeing a young Brady on nationally televised games back in high school, watching after my band would practice our shitty punk rock in the basement. Those are memories that feel lifetimes away, but always had this objectively silly, slightly meaningless thru-line about them that's now gone.

Pex Lives!

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

Flex wrote:
01 Feb 2023, 3:43pm
Real hard to say. I've always found him to be pretty savvy about public image, but I suspect there was a lot of Giselle's influence there. I think if he takes to the sportscaster role with gusto he'll mostly keep a lid on what are his undoubtedly more repellent personal views. Also, I mean, the Mannings host Trump fundraisers and no one really gives a shit so I'm sort of curious what it would take to move the needle.

His farewell video was very human and down to earth, much more like the Tom I think of with NE. If that's the tone he plans to take going forward, I think he'll be pleasantly dull in retirement.

His retirement is is impacting me a lot more than I thought it would, even compared to his momentary retirement last year. I think of all the years I spent talking about Brady and the Pats with Boddington, in college and apartments, then over text and Internet. And how I can't talk to him about this final development.

That gets me to thinking of crisp Fall afternoons at my grandmother's on the Cape watching the games, with her now having passed years ago and the house long gone. Or cozy winter days at the tail end of the season at my aunt and uncle's house, an old 1700s farmhouse just up the road from The Blade in Walpole. That's for sale too now.

Or out here in Colorado, getting early ski days in before saddling up to a bar to catch an early apres drink and the game, back when I lived in the mountains and was mayorin' and living what I thought was a bit of my dream life. Going further back to seeing a young Brady on nationally televised games back in high school, watching after my band would practice our shitty punk rock in the basement. Those are memories that feel lifetimes away, but always had this objectively silly, slightly meaningless thru-line about them that's now gone.
I kind of get where you're coming from. For me, it's been the 1-2 combo of Favre & Rodgers. I have a lot of memories connected to watching those 2 play football. It looks like our #12 might finally be on his way out and that makes me sad.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble