Football season USA

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Football season USA

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 6:28pm
You can search "basketball fan fights 2021" and find plenty of the same kinda scenes.

ETA: sports culture is just noxious generally, I think. I used to think the NFL is worse, but I'm not particularly convinced of that anymore. Due to my standards for all sports being lowered, not out of any improved views of the NFL, mind.
The encounters between Giants and Dodgers fans at each others' parks (or parking lots) is savage. All reflective of a coarsening culture, with that necessary pinch of team tribalism and sports testosterone to make things extra lethal.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 6:41pm
Flex wrote:
12 Sep 2022, 6:28pm
You can search "basketball fan fights 2021" and find plenty of the same kinda scenes.

ETA: sports culture is just noxious generally, I think. I used to think the NFL is worse, but I'm not particularly convinced of that anymore. Due to my standards for all sports being lowered, not out of any improved views of the NFL, mind.
The encounters between Giants and Dodgers fans at each others' parks (or parking lots) is savage. All reflective of a coarsening culture, with that necessary pinch of team tribalism and sports testosterone to make things extra lethal.
Yeah, no interest in going to a ballgame these days. People get awful upset about their favorite laundry losing.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 5:20pm
revbob wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 4:16pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 12:54pm
It really hit me yesterday. As I was getting off the plane there were the usual suspects in their golf shirts and too tight New Balance frantically checking their phones to check the scores, discuss the scores, and check the scores again. Boring, boring, boring.
Ive given it up too. I stopped following a team like 25 years ago and then got pulled into fantasy football with people from work. Now I just like to see the Jets beat the Pats once every 10 years so I can rub it into Flex's face.
It’s something about rich white guys watching poor kids getting brain damage for entertainment that doesn’t sit well. The racism and plantation mentality of the whole thing is sickening.
This speaks to your point quite well:

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 5:31pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 5:20pm
revbob wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 4:16pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
11 Sep 2022, 12:54pm
It really hit me yesterday. As I was getting off the plane there were the usual suspects in their golf shirts and too tight New Balance frantically checking their phones to check the scores, discuss the scores, and check the scores again. Boring, boring, boring.
Ive given it up too. I stopped following a team like 25 years ago and then got pulled into fantasy football with people from work. Now I just like to see the Jets beat the Pats once every 10 years so I can rub it into Flex's face.
It’s something about rich white guys watching poor kids getting brain damage for entertainment that doesn’t sit well. The racism and plantation mentality of the whole thing is sickening.
This speaks to your point quite well:

Just horrible. I saw one person respond by linking to this Doonesbury from 1974(!). The essence of the sport is the generalship of World War I.
https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/1974/12/16

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 5:48pm
Just horrible. I saw one person respond by linking to this Doonesbury from 1974(!). The essence of the sport is the generalship of World War I.
Somehow still funnier than bloom county
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 7:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Sep 2022, 5:48pm
Somehow still funnier than bloom county

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

i'm a big fan of Bill the cat. Oop ack!
I agree totally with it being a booze-fueled outlet for hate.
This country is totally fucked up in the head.
I won't even go to a high school football game. Same shit happens there too. its truly pathetic.
I don't mind watching the games without a rooting interest if there is nothing else on to watch when i've got time to kill, athleticism appreciation and all that, but other than that, american football is garbage really, pandering to the TV networks/audiences above all else.
Now, aussie rules, that looks like some fun stuff. I wish I would have known about it in my youth, i'd have loved to give it a go. It looks like a total blast to play.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Attachments
Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 14-28-32 Source Doctor who evaluated Tagovailoa fired.png
Screenshot 2022-10-01 at 14-28-32 Source Doctor who evaluated Tagovailoa fired.png (132.56 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
ntc.jpg
ntc.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 1674 times
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

One of the weirder aspects of getting older is watching my close friends who used to not give a shit about football now forcing the group to go watch it in bars with them while they publicly clap and say "yeah!" whenever something good happens to their team. They're like different people. I just don't understand following your city's team and caring what happens to them. They aren't from Seattle, they probably don't even live here, and they'd jump ship as soon as the money is good enough. What's the point of having any loyalty to that?
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:44pm
One of the weirder aspects of getting older is watching my close friends who used to not give a shit about football now forcing the group to go watch it in bars with them while they publicly clap and say "yeah!" whenever something good happens to their team. They're like different people. I just don't understand following your city's team and caring what happens to them. They aren't from Seattle, they probably don't even live here, and they'd jump ship as soon as the money is good enough. What's the point of having any loyalty to that?
Like all sports, its a way to connect with your community and local culture and feel invested in something larger than yourself. Maybe people should find better ways to do that, but that's what it is.

Also, gambling.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:48pm
Kory wrote:
Like all sports, its a way to connect with your community and local culture and feel invested in something larger than yourself. Maybe people should find better ways to do that, but that's what it is.

Also, gambling.
That makes sense, but it still doesn't ring true for these friends of mine. They're normally not susceptible to that kind of thing.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:55pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

Also, gambling.
That makes sense, but it still doesn't ring true for these friends of mine. They're normally not susceptible to that kind of thing.
Also, drinking.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kory wrote:
04 Oct 2022, 4:55pm
Flex wrote:
Kory wrote:

Also, gambling.
As Flex suggested, it’s a way of putting down roots, which is what happens to people as they get older. Stability in institutions but the distinction of tribalism.