NHL 2022-2042: So what’s the deal with Hockey?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: NHL 2022-2042: So what’s the deal with Hockey?

Post by revbob »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 9:49pm
I held off on buying a Sabres jersey for like the first 40+ years of my life. When we drafted Jack Eichel in 2015, I bought an Eichel #15 jersey shortly after. Figured it was a good choice as he would probably be with the team for 15+ years. A few weeks after I bought it, the fucker changed his number to #9. :twitch: Then last year he demanded a trade, and now he’s fairly despised around here. X(

So what the hell do I do with the jersey? It cost over $200 new, and though it’s barely worn, I doubt I could get $30 for it now. :disshame: I won’t wear it again, and I’ve since bought a Rasmus Dahlin jersey that I like better. I might look into having the nameplate and number changed to a player I like better, but I might not even bother, as the color scheme is different now (we changed from navy to royal blue) and very few current Sabres ever wore the navy blue jersey.

I imagine my Eichel jersey will eventually wind up being worn by some kid in a third world African country, like what happened to millions of prematurely-printed early 90s Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champion shirts. If I ever buy another jersey, it will probably be of a classic Sabre, like Mogilny or Hawerchuk or something.
Black Sabbath nevergoes out of style.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

revbob wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 10:08pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
I held off on buying a Sabres jersey for like the first 40+ years of my life. When we drafted Jack Eichel in 2015, I bought an Eichel #15 jersey shortly after. Figured it was a good choice as he would probably be with the team for 15+ years. A few weeks after I bought it, the fucker changed his number to #9. :twitch: Then last year he demanded a trade, and now he’s fairly despised around here. X(

So what the hell do I do with the jersey? It cost over $200 new, and though it’s barely worn, I doubt I could get $30 for it now. :disshame: I won’t wear it again, and I’ve since bought a Rasmus Dahlin jersey that I like better. I might look into having the nameplate and number changed to a player I like better, but I might not even bother, as the color scheme is different now (we changed from navy to royal blue) and very few current Sabres ever wore the navy blue jersey.

I imagine my Eichel jersey will eventually wind up being worn by some kid in a third world African country, like what happened to millions of prematurely-printed early 90s Buffalo Bills Super Bowl Champion shirts. If I ever buy another jersey, it will probably be of a classic Sabre, like Mogilny or Hawerchuk or something.
Black Sabbath was a goalie, right? I’ll look into it.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Kimmelweck wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 10:22pm
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

Fuck yeah, the GOAT :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

He's a pitcher: C.C. "Black" Sabathia.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 6:55am
Kimmelweck wrote:
revbob wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

He's a pitcher: C.C. "Black" Sabathia.
:naughty:
(I was gonna try to make a Grant Fuhr joke, but I’m glad I held off. Well done Doc. :mrgreen: )
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 8:52am
(I was gonna try to make a Grant Fuhr joke, but I’m glad I held off. Well done Doc. :mrgreen: )
Man, that guy was one of the twitchiest athletes I ever saw. His body was never at rest. Even in interviews, he was very staccato and, like, vibrating. No surprise when it turned out he had a coke problem. But Christ he was a fantastic goalie.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Feb 2023, 9:04am
Man, that guy was one of the twitchiest athletes I ever saw. His body was never at rest. Even in interviews, he was very staccato and, like, vibrating. No surprise when it turned out he had a coke problem. But Christ he was a fantastic goalie.
He never had the best GAA or Save%, but he was great at being better than the other team’s goalie on any given night. Just a winner. Fuhr only played a couple seasons in Buffalo, but he’s one of my all-time favorite Sabres for sure.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 5:19pm
JennyB wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 5:12pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Feb 2023, 10:45am
When I see a non-hockey player wearing a hockey jersey, I immediately think of Kevin Smith. Things go south from there.
Even worse, he's wearing gloves for no reason. Those things get smelly really fast.
Bodies pulled out of a swamp aren't as devastating to the nose as a hockey bag.
In the late 90s, I bought a used car. I got a great deal on it and quickly found out why. It had this stench that, for the life of me, I could not get out. And I couldn't figure out what it was. Not until VH, Jr. started playing hockey did I figure it out!
Got a Rake? Sure!

IMCT: Inane Middle-Class Twats - Dr. M

" *sigh* it's right when they throw the penis pump out the window." -Hoy

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 10:50am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
When I see a non-hockey player wearing a hockey jersey, I immediately think of Kevin Smith. Things go south from there.
Even worse, he's wearing gloves for no reason. Those things get smelly really fast.
In the late 90s, I bought a used car. I got a great deal on it and quickly found out why. It had this stench that, for the life of me, I could not get out. And I couldn't figure out what it was. Not until VH, Jr. started playing hockey did I figure it out!
Hello,

It's the skates. Serious hockey players don't wear socks...you take it from there.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

gkbill wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 10:58am
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Hello,

It's the skates. Serious hockey players don't wear socks...you take it from there.
It's the gloves!
Got a Rake? Sure!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

JennyB wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 10:59am
gkbill wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Hello,

It's the gloves!
Hello,

The case could be made for each - plus both in the same bag leads to double the issue. With football/soccer goalkeepers, it's the gloves. Goalkeeper gloves can be and should be (for effectiveness) washed - hockey gloves can't be.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 11:07am
JennyB wrote:
gkbill wrote:
JennyB wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Hello,

It's the gloves!
Hello,

The case could be made for each - plus both in the same bag leads to double the issue. With football/soccer goalkeepers, it's the gloves. Goalkeeper gloves can be and should be (for effectiveness) washed - hockey gloves can't be.
I wear weightlifting gloves when I row and am amazed at the kind of stench that can build up. Why I should think hand sweat is less offensive than coming from anywhere else, I have no idea—well, yes, I do; I'm kinda dumb about lots of things—but it always seems strange that the gloves should amass such toxicity after awhile.

JennyB
Mossad Van Driver

Post by JennyB »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 11:20am
gkbill wrote:
JennyB wrote:
gkbill wrote:
JennyB wrote:

Hello,

It's the gloves!
Hello,

I wear weightlifting gloves when I row and am amazed at the kind of stench that can build up. Why I should think hand sweat is less offensive than coming from anywhere else, I have no idea—well, yes, I do; I'm kinda dumb about lots of things—but it always seems strange that the gloves should amass such toxicity after awhile.
And nothing, NOTHING gets that stench out.
Got a Rake? Sure!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

JennyB wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 11:26am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Feb 2023, 11:20am
gkbill wrote:
JennyB wrote:
gkbill wrote:

Hello,

It's the gloves!
Hello,

And nothing, NOTHING gets that stench out.
Not even an exorcism.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

I remember playing floor hockey in gym class in high school, and the worst smelling pieces of gym equipment were always the goalie helmets. They were the old face-fitted mask kind that covered all but the very back of your head - basically a grey plastic bucket with eye holes and 3 or 4 thin strips of foam for padding. They had the smell of a 3-day-old road-killed skunk in the sun. I liked playing goalie, but there was nothing worse than putting one of those helmets on your head after hundreds of kids had sweated in them for 20+ years. After use, they were never cleaned or even allowed to dry a little, but just went straight into a grey canvas bag which got nice and musty. I think my face is breaking out into a rash just thinking about those things.