MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2023

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder to Jen: Drop dead. :shifty:

(Damn, Opening Day is always a reminder that baseball is good.)
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

I was trying to find a Jays' opening day stat, but also discovered that apparently this is the team's first opening day win since 2011. Yowza.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inder wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 8:18pm
I was trying to find a Jays' opening day stat, but also discovered that apparently this is the team's first opening day win since 2011. Yowza.
That's remarkable given that the team was pretty good in most of those seasons. It's not like those were Gord Ash teams.

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 8:01pm
weller259 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:54pm
His Mets replacement, Justin Verlander, went on the IL today and the fans are already freaking out. I mean cmon now. We're the Mets, this shit always happens, we should be used to it by now. lol.
So far, so good.
The only thing that has me hoping for a Mets collapse—well, seeing Buck Showalter plotz again—is whether your scar tissue can hold up given expectations this season. Not that I want your brain to break, but whether this is the thing is intriguing.
Well, my scar tissue has scar tissue, and that scar tissue has its OWN scar tissue. Also, I learned early in life to expect little and be grateful for any overages in your favor. Coping mechanisms for life in my family, lol. I expect the Mets to be good and to compete hard every inning. Results-wise I expect above .500. I've been through enough seasons by now to know that anything can happen, any expectations above what i've just mentioned are not coming from me. I'm hopeful of greater things but not expecting them. Anything can happen. Good and bad. Part of the fun is watching as it develops and just enjoying the ride. My mental shock absorbers are in top working order as I sit here so my mental collapse at the hands of the 2023 Mets is not possible ... sorry to disappoint you, Doc lol

Oh and I also understand the Buck hatred, it is mostly merited in my book, but actually he is the right guy to manage this group of Mets players. His mental (every facet of the possible meanings of that) approach and attention to detail was something this team needed and still needs. Whether that will lead to postseason glory is doubtful but his situation with the Mets reminds me a lot of Mike Keenan with the Rangers in 1993-94. He was a smart coach and a tremendously prolific asshole but he was the right guy for that team at that time. They won in spite of him and its the only time he ever won a cup. These Mets might just be the team that gives Buck that elusive championship. Probably not but it IS possible. lol
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 10:10pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 8:01pm
weller259 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:54pm
His Mets replacement, Justin Verlander, went on the IL today and the fans are already freaking out. I mean cmon now. We're the Mets, this shit always happens, we should be used to it by now. lol.
So far, so good.
The only thing that has me hoping for a Mets collapse—well, seeing Buck Showalter plotz again—is whether your scar tissue can hold up given expectations this season. Not that I want your brain to break, but whether this is the thing is intriguing.
Well, my scar tissue has scar tissue, and that scar tissue has its OWN scar tissue. Also, I learned early in life to expect little and be grateful for any overages in your favor. Coping mechanisms for life in my family, lol. I expect the Mets to be good and to compete hard every inning. Results-wise I expect above .500. I've been through enough seasons by now to know that anything can happen, any expectations above what i've just mentioned are not coming from me. I'm hopeful of greater things but not expecting them. Anything can happen. Good and bad. Part of the fun is watching as it develops and just enjoying the ride. My mental shock absorbers are in top working order as I sit here so my mental collapse at the hands of the 2023 Mets is not possible ... sorry to disappoint you, Doc lol
We have pretty much the exact same approach, tho for me it's a combination of age and having seen plenty of Red Sox championships now. I care less about winning or losing than liking the team (of course, it's easier to like a winning team, but …). It's the ride that matters, as you say.
Oh and I also understand the Buck hatred, it is mostly merited in my book, but actually he is the right guy to manage this group of Mets players. His mental (every facet of the possible meanings of that) approach and attention to detail was something this team needed and still needs. Whether that will lead to postseason glory is doubtful but his situation with the Mets reminds me a lot of Mike Keenan with the Rangers in 1993-94. He was a smart coach and a tremendously prolific asshole but he was the right guy for that team at that time. They won in spite of him and its the only time he ever won a cup. These Mets might just be the team that gives Buck that elusive championship. Probably not but it IS possible. lol
Can't deny his success at building teams, but he presents as a smug prick, which he hasn't earned because of his consistent playoff flops. That is, I'll grudgingly accept a smug prick if they can back it up. (Hmm, maybe that's my reason to root against the Mets!)

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

You know, come to think of it, I've never see weller and santos in the same room together...
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I suppose Mets fans can plausibly say he's lying about being a fan.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Man, I wish Sale would decide to pursue full-time his other passion of vaccine hoax research.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ha! Lord, what percentage of Red Sox games are going to be of the one-run margin, 16–20 combined runs variety this year? Equal parts exhilarating and frustrating.

Flex

Post by Flex »

A .500 team feels right. Tomorrow decides my optimism/pessimism for the season.

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Also, the Little Duder brought the mojo to get the Sox the walk off today;

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I really hope the celebration pseudo-strobe light show at Fenway from Saturday isn't going to be a regular thing. Looked like a hockey game.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 9:10am
I really hope the celebration pseudo-strobe light show at Fenway from Saturday isn't going to be a regular thing. Looked like a hockey game.
It was horrible

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »