MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2023

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 12:15pm

The classic catcher-to-runner's-nuts-to-fielder caught stealing out.
A little slow getting up, is it has ankle or maybe his knee? Are you assholes not watching te replay?

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:22pm
tepista wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:18pm
I don't read two posts up in this thread.
You know who's good? Ohtani! :shifty:
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:27pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

A little slow getting up, is it has ankle or maybe his knee? Are you assholes not watching te replay?
Freeze it at 21 seconds. Also, right away he grabs at his crotch.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:22pm
tepista wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:18pm
I don't read two posts up in this thread.
You know who's good? Ohtani! :shifty:
Guy is gonna look special in Dodger blue. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:50pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, I know that was the announcers it was fairly obvious in slow motion what happened.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:55pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
09 May 2023, 6:50pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

No, I know that was the announcers it was fairly obvious in slow motion what happened.
Oh, whoops!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 2:38pm
revbob wrote:
07 May 2023, 2:30pm
Bader is masterful, what a money shot.
According to Wikipedia, he's a first cousin once removed of Scott Baio. Someone tell John Sterling so he can sing the Happy Days theme when he hits a homer.
Bader blasts a shot to right center. Who's in Charge ? Why its Master Bader that's who.
Last edited by revbob on 10 May 2023, 2:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
10 May 2023, 1:50pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
07 May 2023, 2:38pm
revbob wrote:
07 May 2023, 2:30pm
Bader is masterful, what a money shot.
According to Wikipedia, he's a first cousin once removed of Scott Baio. Someone tell John Sterling so he can sing the Happy Days theme when he hits a homer.
Bader blasts a shot to right center. Who's in Charge ? Why its Mater Bader that's who.
Joanie loves Chachi but Chachi loves his cousin Harrison more!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

These Mets are borderline-unwatchable. The pitching is horrendous, every game they give up 5,6,7 runs and it seems like every game they are behind a couple of runs after the first inning. Things for them have to change, and quickly, or this season is going to be lost. No teams ever win a division title in the first 50 games but many teams have lost a division title in the first 50 and that is the road the Mets are steaming ahead into.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
10 May 2023, 3:07pm
These Mets are borderline-unwatchable. The pitching is horrendous, every game they give up 5,6,7 runs and it seems like every game they are behind a couple of runs after the first inning. Things for them have to change, and quickly, or this season is going to be lost. No teams ever win a division title in the first 50 games but many teams have lost a division title in the first 50 and that is the road the Mets are steaming ahead into.
So true (tho I kinda wonder if the Rays could have the division wound up by the end of May—if the rest of the division has to play at 110-win pace the rest of the way, you're laughing).

However, what's your view of the problem? Is it Buck? Injury bad luck? Was this something that could and should have been foreseen?

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2023, 3:11pm
weller259 wrote:
So true (tho I kinda wonder if the Rays could have the division wound up by the end of May—if the rest of the division has to play at 110-win pace the rest of the way, you're laughing).
However, what's your view of the problem? Is it Buck? Injury bad luck? Was this something that could and should have been foreseen?
Well gee Doc I am not sure how to answer this, I mean, the offense has been sporadic, but to me the real problem is pitching depth. Losing the closer really hurt, it forced the rest of their bullpen up a slot into slots they really should not be in, but the starting pitching has been brutal really. They have some (like Verlander) who have the talent and ability but after really the top 2, its been a crapshoot at best. The Japanese guy (Kodai Senga) has good stuff but he's new to the US and the depth of offense in the US is much greater than the Japanese league so he is adjusting and adapting so his grade right now is incomplete. Verlander has been hurt and has only made 1 start so far (although I believe he pitches tonight), Scherzer has been lousy really, not like the Scherzer everyone knows and expects, Carrasco has been hurt and when healthy he's pitched like shit, Quintano is out until AT LEAST the allstar break (shoulder issues I believe which can be very troublesome if not worse) and the 2 depth "extras" named Megill (who has been serviceable if not good) and Peterson (who has been shit) and we see a starting rotation that is simply not very good.
I don't have a problem with Buck, he knows who to use and when, the poor performances are not his fault, he can only use who he has and i've not seen much mismanagement from him, its a organizational pitching depth issue really. Everything always comes back to the starting pitching and that is the area they are lacking badly. Counting on the Japanese guy to be the "savior" in his first season in the US is unrealistic even though he does have the stuff to be a high quality performer. Its the GM who put this crew together with a seemingly unlimited budget and he just doesn't have enough quality pitching to get the job done.
IF and its a big IF, Scherzer returns to form, Verlander is Verlander, Carrasco returns and has some life on his fastball and then the Senga guy adapts to the new ball and stuff, there is potential for this team to rebound, but without pitching additions of quality, well, we see exactly where that is leading and its not good.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
10 May 2023, 3:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2023, 3:11pm
weller259 wrote:
Well gee Doc I am not sure how to answer this, I mean, the offense has been sporadic, but to me the real problem is pitching depth. Losing the closer really hurt, it forced the rest of their bullpen up a slot into slots they really should not be in, but the starting pitching has been brutal really. They have some (like Verlander) who have the talent and ability but after really the top 2, its been a crapshoot at best. The Japanese guy (Kodai Senga) has good stuff but he's new to the US and the depth of offense in the US is much greater than the Japanese league so he is adjusting and adapting so his grade right now is incomplete. Verlander has been hurt and has only made 1 start so far (although I believe he pitches tonight), Scherzer has been lousy really, not like the Scherzer everyone knows and expects, Carrasco has been hurt and when healthy he's pitched like shit, Quintano is out until AT LEAST the allstar break (shoulder issues I believe which can be very troublesome if not worse) and the 2 depth "extras" named Megill (who has been serviceable if not good) and Peterson (who has been shit) and we see a starting rotation that is simply not very good.
I don't have a problem with Buck, he knows who to use and when, the poor performances are not his fault, he can only use who he has and i've not seen much mismanagement from him, its a organizational pitching depth issue really. Everything always comes back to the starting pitching and that is the area they are lacking badly. Counting on the Japanese guy to be the "savior" in his first season in the US is unrealistic even though he does have the stuff to be a high quality performer. Its the GM who put this crew together with a seemingly unlimited budget and he just doesn't have enough quality pitching to get the job done.
IF and its a big IF, Scherzer returns to form, Verlander is Verlander, Carrasco returns and has some life on his fastball and then the Senga guy adapts to the new ball and stuff, there is potential for this team to rebound, but without pitching additions of quality, well, we see exactly where that is leading and its not good.
So, fundamentally, injuries cascading into other problems. It happens—it's happening in the Bronx, too—but it seems like playing with fire when your #1 and #2 were rookies at the same time as Jackie Robinson. Still, three wild card spots, so it's not like you have to catch up to Atlanta.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Starts of the Red Sox-Braves game, the announcers said that this Braves team is fastest to 25 wins in club history. That's surprising given how dominant those 90s teams were. Also adds to the frustration for the Mets, I guess, that this was not a good season to start slow.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

There is still time to right the ship for the Mets, Verlander pitched tonight and was very good, 7 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 2 BB and 7 K's over 104 pitches. The Mets scored 2 but they did have 10 hits, they did win the game and that is all on Verlander, starting pitching pitches well and the offense scores enough to win, that has been the Mets' blueprint these last few years and that is how they have to be to be successful.
Who's pitching tomorrow, its the Japanese guy, Kodai Senga. If he has a good game, following that same formula, the Mets will have a chance to have a winning streak. If he does not ... its at least 4 more days until Verlander can pitch again .....

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Five of the top six records in the AL right now are in the AL East. Any of the AL East teams would be in first in the AL Central, and no worse than second in the AL West.