MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2023

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 8:22pm
revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:51pm
weller259 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:25pm
Edit: All these great talented pitchers suffering major injuries makes one wonder how Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Ferguson Jenkins, Bob Gibson and many more were able to pitch for decades and not have long-term injuries.
Luck. And/or genetics. The wear and tear on joints and muscles from throwing a ball that hard and that often is going to cause damage, and it's luck and/or genetics that allows some guys to keep at it. Makes me think of something I once read about pro football linemen: the odds of a knee injury within five years is … 100%. Whether you can recover from it and continue, that's luck and genetics.
Yeah its funny because there was also far less science in the game previously but at the same time there were still a lot of seemingly good pitchers who flamed out after a few years. Effective longevity in pitching has been pretty rare
Looking at deGrom, I think Lincecum. Loved watching that kid pitch—he was like a little leaguer dumped into the majors and just destroying everyone. And then *poof* he's fucked and gone. Mark Prior. Pedro had a fairly short period of being other-worldly, then injuries mounted and he became average. Sale. Guys like Scherzer or Verlander are freaks.
Yeah bigger guys tend to do better I think. Guidry was another who flamed out after a few great seasons.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 9:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 8:22pm
revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:51pm
weller259 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:25pm
Edit: All these great talented pitchers suffering major injuries makes one wonder how Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Ferguson Jenkins, Bob Gibson and many more were able to pitch for decades and not have long-term injuries.
Luck. And/or genetics. The wear and tear on joints and muscles from throwing a ball that hard and that often is going to cause damage, and it's luck and/or genetics that allows some guys to keep at it. Makes me think of something I once read about pro football linemen: the odds of a knee injury within five years is … 100%. Whether you can recover from it and continue, that's luck and genetics.
Yeah its funny because there was also far less science in the game previously but at the same time there were still a lot of seemingly good pitchers who flamed out after a few years. Effective longevity in pitching has been pretty rare
Looking at deGrom, I think Lincecum. Loved watching that kid pitch—he was like a little leaguer dumped into the majors and just destroying everyone. And then *poof* he's fucked and gone. Mark Prior. Pedro had a fairly short period of being other-worldly, then injuries mounted and he became average. Sale. Guys like Scherzer or Verlander are freaks.
Yeah bigger guys tend to do better I think. Guidry was another who flamed out after a few great seasons.
I wonder if the bigger guys—Clemens comes to mind—have the advantage of being able to use their legs so much more that it saves some stress on the arm. Being able to be a cannon rather than a slingshot.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Bummer, Yanks-White Sox game postponed tonight due to air conditions. Won't mind a double header tomorrow though.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 6:10pm
Bummer, Yanks-White Sox game postponed tonight due to air conditions. Won't mind a double header tomorrow though.

Wow!

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Mimi wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 6:19pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
07 Jun 2023, 6:10pm

Wow!
Yeah, looks crazy, huh? As much as I’d love to watch a game played against such a bizarre backdrop, it’s probably best to reschedule this one.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Actively rooting against the Sox tonight: https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/06 ... tweet.html
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 9:27am
Actively rooting against the Sox tonight: https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2023/06 ... tweet.html
Cool that he gets his chance again during Pride Month. Hopefully Jesus desires that he get lit up like a bonfire.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I love that story. Assuming it's true, it reinforces the idea that pro athletes are wired differently than everyone else. They pick up on some things that we miss, they miss what we obviously notice.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I'm grooving on another old NFL game—49ers/Cowboys with the Dwight Clark catch at the end (aside: I love all these games with the Cowboys losing; America's team, indeed)—and it's beyond me why MLB Network doesn't do the same. Show games from the 60s and 70s and I'm there. Like, the thing that baseball fans love is its history, so promote it. Who wouldn't want to watch a game featuring Mickey Mantle or Bob Gibson? Instead, apart from the talking head shows, they show the same five baseball movies over and over.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 2:10pm
I'm grooving on another old NFL game—49ers/Cowboys with the Dwight Clark catch at the end (aside: I love all these games with the Cowboys losing; America's team, indeed)—and it's beyond me why MLB Network doesn't do the same. Show games from the 60s and 70s and I'm there. Like, the thing that baseball fans love is its history, so promote it. Who wouldn't want to watch a game featuring Mickey Mantle or Bob Gibson? Instead, apart from the talking head shows, they show the same five baseball movies over and over.
I thought they used to do that, maybe it fell by the wayside (haven't had cable in a number of years).

I don't think it's around anymore, but I used to love ESPN Classic. Just devoted to showing old games and matches of various sports and old documentaries and whatnot. It was my go-to "leave a channel on in the background" station. They used to show TONS of old boxing matches, which I loved watching.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Flex wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 2:33pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Jun 2023, 2:10pm
I thought they used to do that, maybe it fell by the wayside (haven't had cable in a number of years).

I don't think it's around anymore, but I used to love ESPN Classic. Just devoted to showing old games and matches of various sports and old documentaries and whatnot. It was my go-to "leave a channel on in the background" station. They used to show TONS of old boxing matches, which I loved watching.
I watched that when it was the Classic Sports Network, great stuff. I guess, like MTV, they just took a look at their good idea and decided to do less appealing stuff.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »