MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Re: MLB 2023

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 2:42pm
weller259 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 2:16pm
pitchers and catchers report today and tomorrow for most teams .....
ARE YOU READY FOR SOME BASEBALL?
I sure as hell am.
But really I just want this frigging winter to be OVER.
Let's Go Mets!
Damn you with your good team expectations!
Expectations are reserved, but hopes are high.
Other than that, there are no guarantees this season will be a great one for my team. Just as there are no guarantees that this season will be a disaster for your team.

But if I had to pick which of those 2 scenarios I think is more likely to occur .... its baseball and ANYTHING can happen.

Just bring it on already.

And I wish I was still able to play softball, a few swings in a batting cage is about all the athletic capabilities I have left, lol.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I sure as hell am.
Let's Go Mets!
Other than that, there are no guarantees this season will be a great one for my team. Just as there are no guarantees that this season will be a disaster for your team.

But if I had to pick which of those 2 scenarios I think is more likely to occur .... its baseball and ANYTHING can happen.

And I wish I was still able to play softball, a few swings in a batting cage is about all the athletic capabilities I have left, lol.
I can't officially cheer for a New York team, but if you break the hearts and brains of Yankees fans, you have my blessing.*

* My blessing contains no cash value.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:45pm
I can't officially cheer for a New York team, but if you break the hearts and brains of Yankees fans, you have my blessing.*

I'd hold out for a few of Hooky's Left Nuts, weller. THOSE have some serious cash value. In... the right places, at least.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I sure as hell am.
Let's Go Mets!

And I wish I was still able to play softball
, a few swings in a batting cage is about all the athletic capabilities I have left, lol.

I fear the day this comes to pass for me.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I sure as hell am.
Let's Go Mets!

Dont you have a bussing protest to attend?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I'd hold out for a few of Hooky's Left Nuts, weller. THOSE have some serious cash value. In... the right places, at least.
How many people vacation in Bavaria?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:48pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
I sure as hell am.
Let's Go Mets!

Dont you have a bussing protest to attend?
We lost that fight. Or maybe we won it? I can't recall how that turned out.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:

Ha! Spoken like a true Red Sox fan. However I must say that most Yankee fans' brains are already broken or at the very least wounded, listening to John Sterling and or Michael Kay thinking those people know what they are talking about will do that. Besides, really, the Yankees are not the Mets' biggest rival since they only play 4 times a season. Until the Mets actually WIN something, they will be second fiddle in the New York scene.
I read something a week or so ago from somewhere internet-related (can't remember exactly where I saw it) which proposed a geographic realignment within baseball since there is no longer any difference between leagues and they had the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets all in the same division. At first I didn't like the idea but I must say after a week or so thinking about it I now would love to see it, it would be epic I think.

Saw a video of Justin Verlander throwing a bullpen today in a Mets uniform. Its going to take some getting used to. I am still upset over losing deGrom too. I need spring training to get over and used to the changes. I am also going on record and saying the pitch clock is a terrible thing. I also detest the free runner on 2nd to start extra innings. Fucking gimmicks. Why not just have a home run derby if a game is tied after 9, like a shootout. I cannot properly express my disgust at all the changes to baseball (and the NHL) these last 10 years or so. But, this is what we get so let the games begin.
Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:46pm
No no, I once many years ago got drawn into the whole Hooky Left Nut thing and I instantly regretted it. Surely an FTX coin would be more valuable, no? :mrgreen:
revbob wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 7:47pm
weller259 wrote:

I fear the day this comes to pass for me.
It was difficult to handle at first for me, but waking up every day for a week and not having various parts of my body screaming at me because I had to dive for a ball I was never gonna reach anyway, it got easier to accept. Enjoy the time you have to the maximum.
Last edited by weller259 on 14 Feb 2023, 11:08pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Since weller is living in God's Country now, I basically just think of them as the Bangor Metropolitans and am fine hoping they succeed :cool:
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Flex wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 9:05pm
Since weller is living in God's Country now, I basically just think of them as the Bangor Metropolitans and am fine hoping they succeed :cool:
Hahaha damn this made me actually burst out in laughter. I scared the dog, lol.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 9:00pm
However I must say that most Yankee fans' brains are already broken or at the very least wounded, listening to John Sterling and or Michael Kay thinking those people know what they are talking about will do that. Besides, really, the Yankees are not the Mets' biggest rival since they only play 4 times a season. Until the Mets actually WIN something, they will be second fiddle in the New York scene.
I remember reading something long ago—pre-2004—that the Red Sox may have had a rivalry with the Yankees, the Yankees didn't have a rivalry with the Red Sox because Boston always lost to New York. I couldn't dismiss the logic because, well, it was true, right?
I read soemething a week or so ago from somewhere internet-related (can't remember exactly where I saw it) which proposed a geographic realignment within baseball since there is no longer any difference between leagues and they had the Red Sox, Yankees and Mets all in the same division. At first I didn't like the idea but I must say after a week or so thinking about it I now would love to see it, it would be epic I think.
Yeah, I'm enough of a traditionalist to wince at that, but it makes a lot of sense for the Red Sox, Yankees, Mets, Phillies, and Baltimore to be their own division based on geography. And it'll eventually happen. Makes more sense than the idea of Florida teams being in the same division. What a fucking bloodbath, tho, in terms of media markets and expected budgets.
I am also going on record and saying the pitch clock is a terrible thing. I also detest the free runner on 2nd to start extra innings. Fucking gimmicks. Why not just have a home run derby if a game is tied after 9, like a shootout. I cannot properly express my disgust at all the changes to baseball (and the NHL) these last 10 years or so. But, this is what we get so let the games begin.
I'm not big on pitch clocks but I'm good with the ghost runner thing. I was skeptical when they first introduced it, but it helped cut to the chase. When a game goes 14 innings, both teams end up losing (and I went to bed before it ended).
No no, I once many years ago got drawn into the whole Hooky Left Nut thing and I instantly regretted it. Surely an FTX coin would be more valuable, no?
Hey, I ain't no crypto! Totally biological!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 9:26pm
I'm not big on pitch clocks but I'm good with the ghost runner thing. I was skeptical when they first introduced it, but it helped cut to the chase. When a game goes 14 innings, both teams end up losing (and I went to bed before it ended).
See, that's the thing that bothers me about the ghost runner, I don't want to "cut to the chase", baseball is not supposed to be that kind of game, its going through the journey, and all the different aspects involved, I mean, I understand the rule and why they are going to use it, but it detracts from the different strategies and things - using 6 relievers in a 9 inning game is ridiculous yet it happens nearly every night for many teams, then they cry they have nobody left for extra innings. But what do I know.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
weller259 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 9:00pm
No no, I once many years ago got drawn into the whole Hooky Left Nut thing and I instantly regretted it. Surely an FTX coin would be more valuable, no?
Hey, I ain't no crypto! Totally biological!
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
14 Feb 2023, 11:46pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
See, that's the thing that bothers me about the ghost runner, I don't want to "cut to the chase", baseball is not supposed to be that kind of game, its going through the journey, and all the different aspects involved, I mean, I understand the rule and why they are going to use it, but it detracts from the different strategies and things - using 6 relievers in a 9 inning game is ridiculous yet it happens nearly every night for many teams, then they cry they have nobody left for extra innings. But what do I know.
But that's the thing—the way the game has evolved into specialization and situational use does mean that even in a 9-inning game the bullpens are going to get heavy use. The ghost runner for extras is an acknowledgement of that and the reduced availability of arms and how one long extra-inning game could really wipe out a team. I'm not saying I love it in and of itself, but it's a tolerable solution to how pitchers are used now. It ain't the more casual, play-by-feel that we grew up with. :meh:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Ghost runner is kind of dumb, I rather they do a tie after a set number of innings.

Pitch clock should be ok depending on how it is implemented. What about batters going thru their rituals can we get a batters clock too? That whole the pitcher has starts his windup and the batter calls for time out. Fuck that.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
15 Feb 2023, 9:42am
Ghost runner is kind of dumb, I rather they do a tie after a set number of innings.

Soccer fans get an extra rush of blood to their genitals because of ties. Do not seek to emulate soccer fans.
Pitch clock should be ok depending on how it is implemented. What about batters going thru their rituals can we get a batters clock too? That whole the pitcher has starts his windup and the batter calls for time out. Fuck that.
Unless there's a foul ball or the batter's been brushed back, stay in the fucking box. You step out of the box, it's a damned strike. We learned to stay in the box in little league and be ready to swing.