MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2023

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://sports.yahoo.com/are-sliders-de ... 21901.html

While suggests the shift away from fast balls began before this season, I speculated back in spring training that the pitch clock, shortening recovery time between pitches, would lessen its use.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

In Russia, TV writes letter to you.
Attachments
russia.png
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

tepista wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 4:43pm
The writer "liked" watching the Cubs … in the 80s. Not to be taken seriously.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 5:17pm
tepista wrote:
Just on Sundays.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 6:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 5:17pm
tepista wrote:
Just on Sundays.
After Mama's Family.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Jack Bauer coming thru tonight for the Yankees. Chloe can you open a few more sockets

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

So, Manoah's had a helluva 2023, huh? Jays aren't going anywhere if they can't get him fixed.

Also, DeGrom's been shifted to the 60-day IL. That's his career from now on—a handful of starts, hanging out on the IL. The Mets got the best part of his career, without a doubt.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Jacob deGrom is going to have (his second) Tommy John surgery and is out for the season.
The Mets did get the best out of him (so far). He had the procedure first done before he made it to the Major Leagues so at least he knows what to expect in terms of rehab and such.
Noah Syndergaard had Tommy John surgery 2 years ago and now he is lucky to reach 93 MPH when he used to throw 100. There are no guarantees that deGrom will ever get back to being the pitcher he was, just as Syndergaard has been unable to. Syndergaard said last week he would give his first-born to be the pitcher he once was.
Cautionary tales. Wishing deGrom all the best, he will need it.
The Texas Rangers do not have insurance on deGrom's $185,000,000.00 contract.
Oops.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 5:18pm
Oops.
Yikes! I can only assume it means they couldn't get insurance because JdG was a neon flashing sign that said serious injury magnet. That has a very good chance of being one of the worst contracts ever.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
Jacob deGrom is going to have (his second) Tommy John surgery and is out for the season.
The Mets did get the best out of him (so far). He had the procedure first done before he made it to the Major Leagues so at least he knows what to expect in terms of rehab and such.
Noah Syndergaard had Tommy John surgery 2 years ago and now he is lucky to reach 93 MPH when he used to throw 100. There are no guarantees that deGrom will ever get back to being the pitcher he was, just as Syndergaard has been unable to. Syndergaard said last week he would give his first-born to be the pitcher he once was.
Oops.
Strausburgh seems done for.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 5:32pm
weller259 wrote:
Oops.
Bartolo Colon also officially retired a few days ago.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 5:32pm
weller259 wrote:
Oops.
Yes, he was pretty damn good when healthy. He got a nice contract too. I feel bad for these guys professionally but not personally, its not like either one of them will have to apply for worker's comp and wait weeks for the denial and appeal to occur and having to borrow money from friends to survive until then.

I saw that Manoah was sent to the Blue Jays rookie league team to work things out.
Meal money in rookie ball is much less than in the Major Leagues. He better work it out quickly, lol.

We Mets fans LOVE Bartolo. The Mets are honoring him in August this year, wish I could get there for it, it'll be fun for sure. Good ol' Big Sexy. Never get tired of seeing the clip of his only home run and the way the Mets' dugout totally cleared out. Awesome stuff.

Edit: All these great talented pitchers suffering major injuries makes one wonder how Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Ferguson Jenkins, Bob Gibson and many more were able to pitch for decades and not have long-term injuries.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:25pm
Edit: All these great talented pitchers suffering major injuries makes one wonder how Nolan Ryan, Tom Seaver, Ferguson Jenkins, Bob Gibson and many more were able to pitch for decades and not have long-term injuries.
Luck. And/or genetics. The wear and tear on joints and muscles from throwing a ball that hard and that often is going to cause damage, and it's luck and/or genetics that allows some guys to keep at it. Makes me think of something I once read about pro football linemen: the odds of a knee injury within five years is … 100%. Whether you can recover from it and continue, that's luck and genetics.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:51pm
weller259 wrote:
Luck. And/or genetics. The wear and tear on joints and muscles from throwing a ball that hard and that often is going to cause damage, and it's luck and/or genetics that allows some guys to keep at it. Makes me think of something I once read about pro football linemen: the odds of a knee injury within five years is … 100%. Whether you can recover from it and continue, that's luck and genetics.
Yeah its funny because there was also far less science in the game previously but at the same time there were still a lot of seemingly good pitchers who flamed out after a few years. Effective longevity in pitching has been pretty rare

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:57pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 7:51pm
weller259 wrote:
Yeah its funny because there was also far less science in the game previously but at the same time there were still a lot of seemingly good pitchers who flamed out after a few years. Effective longevity in pitching has been pretty rare
Looking at deGrom, I think Lincecum. Loved watching that kid pitch—he was like a little leaguer dumped into the majors and just destroying everyone. And then *poof* he's fucked and gone. Mark Prior. Pedro had a fairly short period of being other-worldly, then injuries mounted and he became average. Sale. Guys like Scherzer or Verlander are freaks.