MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2023

Post by WestwayKid »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 May 2023, 7:37pm
Starts of the Red Sox-Braves game, the announcers said that this Braves team is fastest to 25 wins in club history. That's surprising given how dominant those 90s teams were. Also adds to the frustration for the Mets, I guess, that this was not a good season to start slow.
I think you start seeing patterns around the overall health/quality of organizations. The Braves seem to be consistently good, while the Mets seem to be consistently underachieving.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

WestwayKid wrote:
11 May 2023, 9:36am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Starts of the Red Sox-Braves game, the announcers said that this Braves team is fastest to 25 wins in club history. That's surprising given how dominant those 90s teams were. Also adds to the frustration for the Mets, I guess, that this was not a good season to start slow.
I think you start seeing patterns around the overall health/quality of organizations. The Braves seem to be consistently good, while the Mets seem to be consistently underachieving.
The Yankees/Mets difference is fascinating to me. They share the same huge market, tho the Yankees have greater brand value. Yet while the Yankees have been quite well run for the past 30 years, the Mets rarely fulfill the advantages of being such a huge market team.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2023, 9:59am
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Yankees/Mets difference is fascinating to me. They share the same huge market, tho the Yankees have greater brand value. Yet while the Yankees have been quite well run for the past 30 years, the Mets rarely fulfill the advantages of being such a huge market team.
The Yankees have more history, and mainly pretty positive history. The Mets by contrast have a neutral history at best. They've often been quick to trade off quality players.

But this is where brand comes into play.

Yankees
Seasons: 121 (1903 to 2023)
Record: 10623-8017, .570 W-L%
Playoff Appearances: 58
Pennants: 40
World Championships: 27

Team Name: New York Mets
Seasons: 62 (1962 to 2023)
Record: 4670-5007, .483 W-L%
Playoff Appearances: 10
Pennants: 5
World Championships: 2

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 May 2023, 10:15am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Yankees have more history, and mainly pretty positive history. The Mets by contrast have a neutral history at best. They've often been quick to trade off quality players.

Yankees

But what explains that? The two teams play in the same market and have access to enough wealth to get the players and personnel that they want, yet the results have been startlingly one-sided. This isn't comparing the Rockies with the Dodgers here, both teams are in the largest media market in the country.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2023, 10:24am
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yankees

But what explains that? The two teams play in the same market and have access to enough wealth to get the players and personnel that they want, yet the results have been startlingly one-sided. This isn't comparing the Rockies with the Dodgers here, both teams are in the largest media market in the country.
Ownership to some degree. Just like my neighbor and I have very similar houses built at the same time, but weve done more in terms of updates, and upkeep so our place is nicer and wins more games.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 May 2023, 1:15pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:

Yankees

Ownership to some degree. Just like my neighbor and I have very similar houses built at the same time, but weve done more in terms of updates, and upkeep so our place is nicer and wins more games.
This is basically the correct answer, but it still doesn't really explain how the Yankees have been better run than the Mets. How do the Mets keep stepping on rakes while the Yankees keep chugging away? Again, it's not that the Yankees have been better, but so much better and consistently so.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://jaysjournal.com/posts/bo-bichet ... -jays-wins

Maybe Boba Fett needs to get calm eyes implanted so that critics will ignore his defensive limitations. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2023, 1:19pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yankees

This is basically the correct answer, but it still doesn't really explain how the Yankees have been better run than the Mets. How do the Mets keep stepping on rakes while the Yankees keep chugging away? Again, it's not that the Yankees have been better, but so much better and consistently so.
Well my neighbor is the leaf blower guy. He also only backs his car into his driveway. He has a backyard that he only ventures in to cut grass and blow leaves. He is the Mets despite his tendency to wear Red Sox shirtd

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 May 2023, 1:36pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

Yankees

Well my neighbor is the leaf blower guy. He also only backs his car into his driveway. He has a backyard that he only ventures in to cut grass and blow leaves. He is the Mets despite his tendency to wear Red Sox shirtd
:lol: There's a restaurant at the corner of our block and the owner was using a leaf blower this morning to clean out dirt from the parking lot, which created a noticeable, dense dust cloud all the way down our street. I told The Boss about your neighbour, so she hates him, too.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2023, 1:49pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

:lol: There's a restaurant at the corner of our block and the owner was using a leaf blower this morning to clean out dirt from the parking lot, which created a noticeable, dense dust cloud all the way down our street. I told The Boss about your neighbour, so she hates him, too.
That's one fine lady.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 May 2023, 3:51pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 May 2023, 1:49pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

That's one fine lady.
She's always ready to hate people. Weirdly, I'm probably the more easy-going of the two of us now. I don't think anyone would have predicted that 30 years ago.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
WestwayKid wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Yankees

One explanation is the owners. The Mets' history of ownership has been one of "spend as little as possible to make as much money as possible". That's why they traded a still-in-his-prime Tom Seaver, he wanted to be paid fair markert value and then-owner Mrs. Payson's "baseball people" said fuck you, Mr. Franchise and traded him away. That ONE move set the Mets back 8 years. Then eventually Nelson Doubleday bought them, with business partner to buy the team Fred Wilpon. When Nelson wanted to sell, he sold his part to Wilpon. The Wilpons are/were a disaster, they did business with Bernie Madoff which should explain things. The Wilpons would spend money IF the team was a real contender, but that only happened twice during their reign, all the other years they owned the team it was "take the money and run". With Mr. Cohen now owning the Mets, they are different. Its only been 2 years so we've got to give him a chance and so far, he is not shy to spend so they are now more on equal terms with the Yankees in terms of financial might.
It also must be said that in spite of the Yankees' long and storied history, the Mets were the first NY baseball team to get over 3,000,000 fans in attendance for a season. So the fanbase IS there and it IS sizeable. Not on Yankees terms but pretty close. I think these next few years will see the Mets get even closer in terms of fans and the like. However, one thing Mr. Cohen is learning, spending money is one thing, who you let make the decisions as to whom to spend that money on is SO VERY IMPORTANT.

One also must remember that when the Mets were formed, they were not allowed to sign any pricey players, free agency didn't exist, they were limited to the dregs from all the other teams in the expansion draft. For their first 5 years they had no talent whatsoever, there was no Vegas Golden Knights type expansion franchise made up of solid players. They truly had to build an organization from absolute ground zero. But the Mets of their first 58 years deserve their second place status in NY because they couldn't sustain long off the few successes they did have. They started off as the "loveable losers" who's initial season's record of 40-120 I believe is still the record for worst season ever.
I loved George Steinbrenner, I mean, he was an asshole, but he put his team first and as a fan I totally respected that. I also looked at the Yankees' continued success differently than most fans, I always thought it was good because it would put more pressure on my team's organization to do better. It gave them a higher level to shoot for. Which it must be said those Mets rarely reached.
As much abuse as we Mets fans take from Yankees fans, I don't mind it really, I give as good as I get so its all a part of being a fan of the underdogs. :scared:
Last edited by weller259 on 11 May 2023, 8:17pm, edited 1 time in total.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

It's a damned weird thing where a Mets fan and a Red Sox fan are willing to give Steinbrenner his due. But, yeah, the asshole wanted to win and to pay what it took. He got in the way of people who knew a whole lot more than him, but it wasn't about squeezing out dollars at the expense of on-field success.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Ad running in Canada. I like it for Vlad Sr's line.

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

I recently realized that Volpe is wearing #11, Brett Gardner's old number. Guess Brett isn't coming back. :meh:

Huh. Classy.
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/new ... g%20events.