MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: MLB 2023

Post by Dr. Medulla »

You know, the 2018 Red Sox lost on Opening Day. I think it's guaranteed they're going to win the World Series. Alex has got the old magic back!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 5:23pm
Well, turned out to be a lot more exciting than I thought it would be in the middle innings. '23 Sox pretty much as advrtised on the opening game: good offense, extremely leaky pitching.
Decent comeback

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 3:52pm
Yankees game over in less than 3 hours. Weller's gonna be pissed.
Hey i'm fine with games moving at a quicker pace, just hate the clock and the pickoff/step off/timeout rules that are unnecessary and take pressure off the umpires to make certain calls. I would just say that the game will suffer from the pace being manufactured instead of a natural organic pace. Still too many gray areas of these "new" rules for my taste but we shall see.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

I see deGrom took a big ol' dump on the mound today. But I guess he isn't injured yet, so that's something.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 6:30pm
revbob wrote:
Hey i'm fine with games moving at a quicker pace, just hate the clock and the pickoff/step off/timeout rules that are unnecessary and take pressure off the umpires to make certain calls. I would just say that the game will suffer from the pace being manufactured instead of a natural organic pace. Still too many gray areas of these "new" rules for my taste but we shall see.
I know but things haven't been organic for a while in my view. When I was a kid games were about 2.5 hours. I could watch a full game without it getting too late. Sure the odd extra innings game was cool but I think 2.5hrs is a good sweet spot

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

We should argue about the rule changes for a few more pages, imho
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:10pm
Have you forgotten the kind of assholes you're dealing with here? That's the kind of low-stakes challenge that is pure catnip.

Flex

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:24pm
Flex wrote:
Have you forgotten the kind of assholes you're dealing with here? That's the kind of low-stakes challenge that is pure catnip.
Trust me, revbob never lets me forget what an asshole he is :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Flex

Post by Flex »

Weller's sneakier :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
He's basically Chico with a hackeysack.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:30pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Flex wrote:
Im your guiding star and you know it.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Inderjays vs. Jennydinals is really fun stuff.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:04pm
weller259 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 6:30pm
revbob wrote:
I know but things haven't been organic for a while in my view. When I was a kid games were about 2.5 hours. I could watch a full game without it getting too late. Sure the odd extra innings game was cool but I think 2.5hrs is a good sweet spot
I agree with you, 2 and a half is a nice amount of time for "a game" but every game is different and using a timed clock is just abhorrent to me to get there. Back when I was a kid-teen, the gaps between innings was very short as well which it now no longer is, they cut game time but not commercial time and to me that's not being true to the game, its being true to the broadcast partners and their ridiculous ratings algorhythms. But anyway, you all klnow how I feel about it by now, no sense beating a dead horse. That Yankees game today was pretty brisk, less time hearing Michael Kay is always appreciated, (but when the Mayor of NYC stops by and Kay has to ask him stuff, the cringe factor goes off the chart) but of course it was a quicker game because they only played 8 and a half innings. The Mets game today was about 2:45 or so playing the full 9. The pace was ok, it felt a little forced at times which is a big part of this new BS I don't like or approve of. These players are human beings, not robots. But whatever. The Mets won which isn't really a surprise, since 1970 the Mets are 41-13 on Opening Day. Its usually the other 161 days that they have issues with.
Going to watch the Angels and the A's game latenight and am looking forward to it, then i'll just sleepwalk through tomorrow, doubt anyone will notice, lol.
Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 6:44pm
I see deGrom took a big ol' dump on the mound today. But I guess he isn't injured yet, so that's something.
He did get 11 outs, 7 by strikeout, but he did get shelled. He usually does start out a bit slowly, he did not throw much during the preseason and he's such a mechanics-kinda guy, it takes him a few to get it together. Of course, he's been getting hurt a lot the last few years too so I understand him not throwing much at this time. He's never really had a down year per se. I'll be keeping an eye on him as much as I can this season. His Mets replacement, Justin Verlander, went on the IL today and the fans are already freaking out. I mean cmon now. We're the Mets, this shit always happens, we should be used to it by now. lol.
So far, so good.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Flex wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:42pm
Weller's sneakier :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
Moi? :approve:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 7:54pm
His Mets replacement, Justin Verlander, went on the IL today and the fans are already freaking out. I mean cmon now. We're the Mets, this shit always happens, we should be used to it by now. lol.
So far, so good.
The only thing that has me hoping for a Mets collapse—well, seeing Buck Showalter plotz again—is whether your scar tissue can hold up given expectations this season. Not that I want your brain to break, but whether this is the thing is intriguing.