MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Re: MLB 2023

Post by weller259 »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 8:02pm
weller259 wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 7:55pm
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/353 ... -extension

Red Sox nation .... happy?
I’m skeptical of Devers in the long-term, for reasons of health and motivation. I can’t help but think this was primarily a PR signing, but whatever, it ain’t my money.
To me, an outsider in the ways of the Red Sox management and fanbase, this move does kind of seem like a "save face" kind of thing. Don't know about any opt-outs or no-trade clauses which would make a difference how I view this. I am not sure he is worth this kind of deal but after letting go/removing their core players I guess they had to keep SOMEONE.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I'm happy. He was my fave of of most of the recently departing Sox guys and I'm pleased we're keeping him. And he's still entering his prime years. I honestly think he has a good shot of aging well and given this off-season being on the hook to age 37 seems so much better than 40+. And like the Manny contract, I suspect within a few years the money will seem like a downright bargain (or at least reasonable).

Always a chance of injury, and he hasn't been injured free, but he's also not exactly injury prone either.

I'm quite happy. I always like watching him bat and Ive always enjoyed the way he carries himself. The kind of guy who keeps me watching games even if the team is a mess.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 8:22pm
To me, an outsider in the ways of the Red Sox management and fanbase, this move does kind of seem like a "save face" kind of thing. Don't know about any opt-outs or no-trade clauses which would make a difference how I view this. I am not sure he is worth this kind of deal but after letting go/removing their core players I guess they had to keep SOMEONE.
That's more or less my initial take on things. Don't believe there are any fancy opt-outs or no-trade thingees involved.
Flex wrote:
04 Jan 2023, 8:24pm
I'm happy. He was my fave of of most of the recently departing Sox guys and I'm pleased we're keeping him. And he's still entering his prime years. I honestly think he has a good shot of aging well and given this off-season being on the hook to age 37 seems so much better than 40+. And like the Manny contract, I suspect within a few years the money will seem like a downright bargain (or at least reasonable).

Always a chance of injury, and he hasn't been injured free, but he's also not exactly injury prone either.

I'm quite happy. I always like watching him bat and Ive always enjoyed the way he carries himself. The kind of guy who keeps me watching games even if the team is a mess.
You're certainly right that he's entering his prime years (knock on revbob's wooden head) and that a few years down the road the money will seem more and more reasonable. My chief concern—apart from his persistent hamstring problems—is that this is now basically his team. He's the guy, with people like Xander and JD and Vazquez gone. How does he handle that? I hope he's more of a Manny space cadet who just blocks shit out and hits, whether the team if a contender or rebuilding, but it remains to be seen how he handles being on a young, emerging team.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

https://sports.yahoo.com/dodgers-cut-ti ... 10126.html

Well, Bauer's officially available for league minimum. Are there any teams reprehensible enough to sign him?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 8:44pm

Well, Bauer's officially available for league minimum. Are there any teams reprehensible enough to sign him?
Go Sox Go!!!!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

revbob wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 10:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Go Sox Go!!!!
:mrgreen:

Seeing as supposedly the Mets are considering walking away from the Correa deal, maybe they might. I'd be surprised if they'd take the PR hit that will follow, but I put nothing past Mr. Cohen, he's shown a willingness to do stuff and anything is possible. How would I feel if the Mets got him? Baseball-wise i'd love it, you cannot have too much quality pitching. Human being-wise, hell no. But I do believe SOMEONE will take a chance on him. Maybe one of the teams in Texas, seeing as the government of that state and the people who vote for them every fucking year must truly hate women ....

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 11:25pm
revbob wrote:
06 Jan 2023, 10:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:

Go Sox Go!!!!
:mrgreen:

Seeing as supposedly the Mets are considering walking away from the Correa deal, maybe they might. I'd be surprised if they'd take the PR hit that will follow, but I put nothing past Mr. Cohen, he's shown a willingness to do stuff and anything is possible. How would I feel if the Mets got him? Baseball-wise i'd love it, you cannot have too much quality pitching. Human being-wise, hell no. But I do believe SOMEONE will take a chance on him. Maybe one of the teams in Texas, seeing as the government of that state and the people who vote for them every fucking year must truly hate women ....
https://sports.yahoo.com/where-might-tr ... 27876.html

And this piece suggests, yup, both Texas teams and the Mets (and a half dozen other teams, so take that for what it's worth).

Inder
corecore vanguard

Post by Inder »

Guess who’s back in Minny (pending physical)?

Flex

Post by Flex »

Inder wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 2:14pm
lmao

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

My other two mistresses turned out to be complete harpies, so I'm coming back to you, babe!

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator

Post by weller259 »

Inder wrote:
10 Jan 2023, 2:14pm
Well, as a Mets fan, I am fine with Correa going back to Minnesota, we didn't NEED need him, and if the Mets thought he wasn't worth giving a huge long term deal to based on past physical ailments, I am OK with that. Spending money is nice and all, but just throwing it around to anyone regardless of any "red flags" is not very smart and i'm really glad to see the Mets use their brains with their wallets. Yes, it is a bit of a disappointment but overall its the best outcome for all parties and i'm totally fine with it. The Mets are moving on and good luck to Correa in the nowhereland he will be for the next 6 years (pending physical). He's a good player no doubt and he will do fine there. I certainly have no ill feelings towards him, his "physical" results are not his fault and he definitely wanted to come to the Mets, things just didn't work out. C'est la vie.
GET MORE PITCHING PLEASE! We didn't really need a 8th infielder anyway.

Let's Go Mets!

Flex

Post by Flex »

I'm watching the Devers presser to have something more positive to think of Sox-wise than Story's surgery news, and taking Devers at face value he made two interesting comments about why he extended with the Sox rather than hitting free agency (paraphrasing):

1. He appreciates everything the Sox organization has done for him to date and thinks they appreciate what a hard worker he is and his personal style;

2. Going through the free agency process is really hard and he didn't want to subject himself to that.

Now, obviously, "the Sox are writing me huge checks" is a big part of the answer but I appreciate his responses here. It's easy to just assume every player is out to leverage every single possible dollar out there, and a lot of them are, but as someone who has always (at least tried) to factor lifestyle and comfort level into my employment rather than just constantly being on the hunt for a bigger payday, Devers' decision making really resonates. If he's aware of himself enough to know that he has priorities and desires beyond just the biggest payday possible, I think it bodes well for him to be both the clubhouse leader for the next decade and also a guy I won't get tired of rooting for, even as he inevitably has ups and downs.

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 12:44pm
I'm watching the Devers presser to have something more positive to think of Sox-wise than Story's surgery news, and taking Devers at face value he made two interesting comments about why he extended with the Sox rather than hitting free agency (paraphrasing):

1. He appreciates everything the Sox organization has done for him to date and thinks they appreciate what a hard worker he is and his personal style;

2. Going through the free agency process is really hard and he didn't want to subject himself to that.

Now, obviously, "the Sox are writing me huge checks" is a big part of the answer but I appreciate his responses here. It's easy to just assume every player is out to leverage every single possible dollar out there, and a lot of them are, but as someone who has always (at least tried) to factor lifestyle and comfort level into my employment rather than just constantly being on the hunt for a bigger payday, Devers' decision making really resonates. If he's aware of himself enough to know that he has priorities and desires beyond just the biggest payday possible, I think it bodes well for him to be both the clubhouse leader for the next decade and also a guy I won't get tired of rooting for, even as he inevitably has ups and downs.
I think it's a mistake to think that players who hold out for the big contract are just greedy. Contracts are status and the way of measuring yourself against your peers. Plenty of players have chased that status contract and gone to new teams only to realize that they just flat-out don't like the environment (Fred Lynn, for example, has said over and over that he regrets leaving Boston for the Angels). That is, that there's so much more to life than the payday, especially once you make enough in one year to set up several generations of your descendants. It takes some maturity, to me, to realize that just chasing the status contract is hollow, that if you truly enjoy your work environment, how does a few million dollars that will never impact your day-to-day living—think about how absurd that is!—take precedence? So good on Devers for appreciating he's got a ridiculous amount of money but that the environment where he plays matters a lot. Some things money can't buy and once you've satisfied your material needs, look to those more intangible things that make you happy (like, in Devers' case, playing for Cora).

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Fred Lynn was cool in my book. At least as a player.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
11 Jan 2023, 2:09pm
Fred Lynn was cool in my book. At least as a player.
Whenever he shows up at Fenway, he always seems to be wearing a tacky Hawaiian shirt. Gotta respect that weirdo sense of fashion.