MLB 2023

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: MLB 2023

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 8:51pm
US teams have the same problem each tournament—a great line-up of hitters, but mediocre pitchers. I get why the best pitchers don't want to risk their spring routine of building up strength and all, and why their clubs don't encourage their participation, but the US would romp with respectable pitching. Kyle fucking Freeland in a championship game is borderline shameful.
Yeah I dont think I even recognize their names.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 9:29pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
21 Mar 2023, 8:51pm
US teams have the same problem each tournament—a great line-up of hitters, but mediocre pitchers. I get why the best pitchers don't want to risk their spring routine of building up strength and all, and why their clubs don't encourage their participation, but the US would romp with respectable pitching. Kyle fucking Freeland in a championship game is borderline shameful.
Yeah I dont think I even recognize their names.
It’s like a Make-a-Wish situation. Wendell is dying and always wanted to pitch a game with America’s greatest ballplayers!
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Could that ending have been better scripted? Yowza.

Also, does Mike Trout own any team championship trophies at all? Since he was 15, anyway?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 6:21am
Could that ending have been better scripted? Yowza.

Also, does Mike Trout own any team championship trophies at all? Since he was 15, anyway?
I dozed off probably in the 7th and literally woke up to Ohtani vs Trout.

Trout's not gonna win a championship with the Angles so WBC is his best chance.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Old lady's got my form. :sad:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Gotta say that Yoshida's WBC has me even more excited about his MLB debut. Now that Xander is gone, I have a spot vacant for my favourite Red Sock, and Masataka is my hope.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I enjoyed the WBC and all, the games were good for the most part, I had no issue with the lack of pitch clock keeping the game "slower".
Having said that, I read somewhere a few days ago, I am not sure who suggested it, I think it might have been Max Scherzer, that the WBC should be held at midseason, like an all-star week kind of thing, that more top players would probably participate. I saw Manfred bitch about not seeing enough "top pitchers" in the tournament but really IDGAF what Manfred has to say about anything really.
That guy the Red Sox got, Yoshida, looked good from what I saw. And the Japanese had that young starter, Sasaki I think, who threw multiple pitches at triple digits, would love to see Steve Cohen make a move on that kid.
Ready for the season to start.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
22 Mar 2023, 11:28pm
Having said that, I read somewhere a few days ago, I am not sure who suggested it, I think it might have been Max Scherzer, that the WBC should be held at midseason, like an all-star week kind of thing, that more top players would probably participate. I saw Manfred bitch about not seeing enough "top pitchers" in the tournament but really IDGAF what Manfred has to say about anything really.
The problem with that is having a proper tournament requires more than one week and to have proper international representation/participation, games need to be held outside the US, which means lotsa travelling. Maybe doing it after the WS would get more players willing to participate? Give 'em a couple weeks to rest—which would be even more for those who don't make the WS—and then go to the tournament. I imagine the fear there, tho, would be fucking with pitchers' arms after a long season and messing with off-season recovery.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 6:30am
weller259 wrote:
The problem with that is having a proper tournament requires more than one week and to have proper international representation/participation, games need to be held outside the US, which means lotsa travelling. Maybe doing it after the WS would get more players willing to participate? Give 'em a couple weeks to rest—which would be even more for those who don't make the WS—and then go to the tournament. I imagine the fear there, tho, would be fucking with pitchers' arms after a long season and messing with off-season recovery.
Yeah, the biggest barrier (and I'm very pro figuring out how to do more international competition) is that it's an intense and grinding regular season. Most sports that have an international competition component play once a week. Much easier to schedule around breaks and so forth.

Once Theo is done perfecting Manfredball and delivering Weller to the Kingdom of Baseball Heaven with this newly perfected game, he needs to get on figuring out how making the WBC a more "prestige" competition specifically and expanding international play generally.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Flex wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 9:46am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 6:30am
weller259 wrote:
Yeah, the biggest barrier (and I'm very pro figuring out how to do more international competition) is that it's an intense and grinding regular season. Most sports that have an international competition component play once a week. Much easier to schedule around breaks and so forth.

Once Theo is done perfecting Manfredball and delivering Weller to the Kingdom of Baseball Heaven with this newly perfected game, he needs to get on figuring out how making the WBC a more "prestige" competition specifically and expanding international play generally.
Between the Red Sox and Cubs WS titles and this significant revamping of the game, is there any doubt that Theo will be in the HoF?

Tangentially related, I was thinking about other potential impacts of these changes, and one that should definitely please Weller: a decline in the pink hat fan. If the gap between pitches shrinks—which is to say the gap between real baseball action—it’s less time for fans’ attention to be distracted, to stare at phones, to people watch, etc etc. Just as players have to keep their mind in the game more consistently now, so do fans. Which will discourage a certain kind of fan who comes for the stuff not on the field, but will reward people who do. A more engaged and baseball-literate fan is very much a good thing.

I’ve really gone from skepticism about a pitch clock to almost utopian in its implications.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Flex wrote:
Once Theo is done perfecting Manfredball and delivering Weller to the Kingdom of Baseball Heaven with this newly perfected game
No way i'm going to the Kingdom Of Baseball Heaven but if I do get there, it won't be because of Manfredball that's for shitsure.
I should have known it was Epstein who was behind all this ridiculousness. Serve two franchises their long-awaited championships and suddenly you are a "baseball God"? Sorry but I think not. Maybe a God in Boston and Chicago but not where I live. Maybe if he focused on stopping teams from cheating that would serve all of baseball instead of the broadcast partners. But what do I know. lol
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

weller259 wrote:
23 Mar 2023, 6:34pm
Flex wrote:
Once Theo is done perfecting Manfredball and delivering Weller to the Kingdom of Baseball Heaven with this newly perfected game
No way i'm going to the Kingdom Of Baseball Heaven but if I do get there, it won't be because of Manfredball that's for shitsure.
I should have known it was Epstein who was behind all this ridiculousness. Serve two franchises their long-awaited championships and suddenly you are a "baseball God"? Sorry but I think not. Maybe a God in Boston and Chicago but not where I live. Maybe if he focused on stopping teams from cheating that would serve all of baseball instead of the broadcast partners. But what do I know. lol
Oh, you scamp! :lol:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

MLB Stories - Spring training highlights 2023 https://www.mlb.com/stories/spring-trai ... ights-2023