The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2023 Edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2023 Edition

Post by BostonBeaneater »

revbob wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 10:13pm
Yankees star Joe Pepitone dies at 82

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/base ... 1678754248
Handsome devil.

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Wolter wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 8:58pm
matedog wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 8:56pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 8:01pm
Dick Fosbury, yesterday at 76. His final flop.

I can’t even imagine pulling off a 2.24 m (7 ft 4 ¼ inch) high jump.
The old form looks so lame compared to his.
And you know those dorks made fun of him until he crushed the record.
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 12:36am
Wolter wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 8:58pm
matedog wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 8:56pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 8:01pm
Dick Fosbury, yesterday at 76. His final flop.

I can’t even imagine pulling off a 2.24 m (7 ft 4 ¼ inch) high jump.
The old form looks so lame compared to his.
And you know those dorks made fun of him until he crushed the record.
Pretty sure that first pic is of the "standing high jump" event, which has no run-up. But yeah, the Fosbury Flop just looks so much more graceful than earlier high jump styles.

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 10:13pm
Yankees star Joe Pepitone dies at 82

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/base ... 1678754248
I recall in one of Halberstam's books that Pepitone went to Japan to play baseball and didn't exactly cover himself in glory, leading the Japanese to coin the word pepitone as a disparagement toward Americans' work habits. Something along those lines.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dix Denney of the Weirdos

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

revbob wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 7:37am
I just found out a second ago, wonderful band, seen them live several times. :(
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

revbob wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 7:37am
Bummed, was just listing to them over the weekend.

God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

matedog

Post by matedog »

Kimmelweck wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 1:49am

Pretty sure that first pic is of the "standing high jump" event, which has no run-up. But yeah, the Fosbury Flop just looks so much more graceful than earlier high jump styles.

Good call. And lol on the second guy eating shit. *edit* just noticed there's no landing pad. They just land on the pavement.

The standing events are so lame. I do love how this dude dominated it when it used to be part of the Olympics and got 10 gold medals out of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Ewry
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 12:31pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

Good call. And lol on the second guy eating shit. *edit* just noticed there's no landing pad. They just land on the pavement.

The standing events are so lame. I do love how this dude dominated it when it used to be part of the Olympics and got 10 gold medals out of it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Ewry
Not quite as lame as the 1500 meter walk.

matedog

Post by matedog »

revbob wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 12:53pm
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

God damn I fucking hate speed walking as an event. It goes against natural physiology. Just run. It'd be like having an event for who can crawl the fastest. Just so dumb.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 12:58pm
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

God damn I fucking hate speed walking as an event. It goes against natural physiology. Just run. It'd be like having an event for who can crawl the fastest. Just so dumb.
It's like a competition of people who are late for class but not allowed to run in the hallway.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

matedog

Post by matedog »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 1:27pm
matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 12:58pm
revbob wrote:
matedog wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

It's like a competition of people who are late for class but not allowed to run in the hallway.
Hahaha.

Tangentially reminds me of this clip of a backwards running competition played back in reverse:

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 2:01pm
Tangentially reminds me of this clip of a backwards running competition played back in reverse:
Oh no! We're being chased by a giant, murderous sloth! We have to gradually escape for our lives.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

matedog wrote:
14 Mar 2023, 2:01pm
OK, this is really really weird.
Running backwards .... why?
Watching people running "forward" on the balls of their feet is making me cringe. I played a lot of sports as a kid/teen/twenty but the one "sport" I never understood or could possibly get into, was running. Just running. For miles. I just didn't see the point back then, and I still can't see it now lol.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Willis Reed, who was the beating heart of the champion Knicks, dies at 80