The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2023 Edition

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
revbob
Unknown Immortal

Re: The Kaleb Horton Deceased Latvian Foreign Minister Thread, 2023 Edition

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
25 May 2023, 3:57pm
Mike Norell, the guy who played Capt. Stanley on Emergency! I love the show and he was so freaking natural in this role. KMG365
I have such fond memories of that show. Not just the show but watching it with friends and family

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
Mike Norell, the guy who played Capt. Stanley on Emergency! I love the show and he was so freaking natural in this role. KMG365
Well, poop. I wish some channel here would show that series. Early 70s action-drama series were pretty dang good on the whole.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:16pm
Mimi wrote:
Well, poop. I wish some channel here would show that series. Early 70s action-drama series were pretty dang good on the whole.
Yeah and I was a big fan of Dixie as young boy. I didn't know she was a singer. Recorded 32 albums

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Yeah and I was a big fan of Dixie as young boy. I didn't know she was a singer. Recorded 32 albums
Dixie (Julie London) was married to Dr. Early (Bobby Troup) in real life. He was a jazz musician.

Edit: Mike Norell apparently died on the 12th of this month.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:20pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
And she was actually married to the white-haired doctor.

We have a fire station maybe four blocks away because we're just off a significant street, so we get fire trucks going by everyday. When I see them, I often hear in my head, "Rampart five-one …."

fake edit: Mimi beat me to the marriage trivia.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
They were showing it on GetTV or something here, but I noticed that they were not playing the early episodes anymore so I bought the whole series on dvd. I'm sure if you dig around for it, you might find it somewhere. Shit, all the Match Games episodes are on YT.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
They were showing it on GetTV or something here, but I noticed that they were not playing the early episodes anymore so I bought the whole series on dvd. I'm sure if you dig around for it, you might find it somewhere. Shit, all the Match Games episodes are on YT.
I'm trying to dl a torrent of the first season.

I try to catch a few episodes every week of Match Game on the Game Show channel. I'm currently researching for a lecture on disco and I am bound and determined to tie it in some way to game shows like Match Game and the Gong Show. Part of it is the crude sex jokes on Match Game—e.g., Brett and Gene talking about getting a motel room in Encino—and the general vibe that these people were engaged in freaky shit. Whenever Elaine Joyce is on, I think, oh yeah, she was part of the key party thing back in the day.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:39pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I try to catch a few episodes every week of Match Game on the Game Show channel. I'm currently researching for a lecture on disco and I am bound and determined to tie it in some way to game shows like Match Game and the Gong Show. Part of it is the crude sex jokes on Match Game—e.g., Brett and Gene talking about getting a motel room in Encino—and the general vibe that these people were engaged in freaky shit. Whenever Elaine Joyce is on, I think, oh yeah, she was part of the key party thing back in the day.
Have you seen the documentary Studio 54? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5773986/ You might find some good stuff in that. But yeah, there's a vibe about the 70s that seems...special.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Have you seen the documentary Studio 54? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5773986/ You might find some good stuff in that. But yeah, there's a vibe about the 70s that seems...special.
Yup, seen it. I'm re-reading Anthony Haden-Guest's S54 book right now (probably the last bit I need for the basics of the lecture).

tepista
Foul-Mouthed Werewolf

Post by tepista »

David Lindley, who did "Mercury Blues" died in March. Missed it.
We reach the parts other combos cannot reach
We beach the beachheads other armies cannot beach
We speak the tongues other mouths cannot speak

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Mimi wrote:
25 May 2023, 6:44pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

Hello,

I was just getting out of high school and getting into college around the late 70's. The disco era was very pretentious and shallow. I remember friends going and standing outside the discos hoping to look good enough to have the bouncers give them a look. They'd ask how many in your group - if you looked glamorous enough and didn't have a big group, you could get in. If not, it was a long cold night standing around waiting. It was pretty shallow and polyester - even in discos upstate or smaller towns, everyone wanted to look glamorous. Granted, most people want to look cool but the whole polyester/know the latest dance vibe didn't work for me - people dancing and watching everybody else to make sure they didn't look out of place - just my opinion/experiences.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Astrud Gilberto, 83.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 8:11am
Astrud Gilberto, 83.
I have a best of CD of hers and she appears on some other jazz albums I have and whatnot. Really great voice, with her accent she had a slightly ethereal quality. Worked with a lot of great musicians too.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

Kory
Unknown Immortal

Post by Kory »

Flex wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Astrud Gilberto, 83.
I have a best of CD of hers and she appears on some other jazz albums I have and whatnot. Really great voice, with her accent she had a slightly ethereal quality. Worked with a lot of great musicians too.
I have a "greatest hits" of hers or something similar too. It's great morning music. I'll often do a twofer with her and then Chet Baker Sings, they go together nicely.
"Suck our Earth dick, Martians!" —Doc

BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Kory wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 2:52pm
Flex wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 9:11am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Astrud Gilberto, 83.
I have a "greatest hits" of hers or something similar too. It's great morning music. I'll often do a twofer with her and then Chet Baker Sings, they go together nicely.
I love her voice and sort of assumed she was already long gone.