Bad TV Shows

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: Bad TV Shows

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 9:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 8:48am
revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 8:23am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 7:18am
matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:17am

There's no other show I dislike that much yet have friends that I respect that enjoy it. It's really weird.
Same. They'll relate some wacky antics from an episode, often preceded by "You'll like this" (because it involves comics or science), and I'll be dumbfounded.
I had someone try and tell me its smart comedy not his exact words but that's what he was getting at. And also implied that what I liked was somehow low brow.
Were you ever charged after your response?
The ruling was justifiable homicide.
And just like that, a twinkle of sunshine peeks thru the grey clouds.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Post by Mimi »

When I was working full time and got up at 5am, I would end up falling asleep very early so I would put BBT on as background noise. For a while, I liked it, but after I stepped away from it and tried to watch it again, I don't see how I ever tolerated a second of it. The fact that these guys are scientists and working at a uni but dress like they're still in high school is just the start of what bothers me.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 11:25am
The fact that these guys are scientists and working at a uni but dress like they're still in high school is just the start of what bothers me.
:sad: :disshame:
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:07pm
Mimi wrote:
The fact that these guys are scientists and working at a uni but dress like they're still in high school is just the start of what bothers me.
Or is that how every professor dresses nowadays? :oops:

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Mimi wrote:
One dresses like a god damn hipster in 2004 but he's supposed to be a super nerd?
Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:20pm
Mimi wrote:
One dresses like a god damn hipster in 2004 but he's supposed to be a super nerd?
Bazinga!

matedog
Purveyor of Hoyistic Thought

Post by matedog »

Mimi wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:51pm
matedog wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:20pm
Mimi wrote:
Bazinga!
Now is as good a time as any to reread our very own Kaleb’s BBT spec script:

Look, you have to establish context for these things. And I maintain that unless you appreciate the Fall of Constantinople, the Great Fire of London, and Mickey Mantle's fatalist alcoholism, live Freddy makes no sense. If you want to half-ass it, fine, go call Simon Schama to do the appendix.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
When I was working full time and got up at 5am, I would end up falling asleep very early so I would put BBT on as background noise. For a while, I liked it, but after I stepped away from it and tried to watch it again, I don't see how I ever tolerated a second of it. The fact that these guys are scientists and working at a uni but dress like they're still in high school is just the start of what bothers me.
So how do high schoolers dress?

Asking for a friend. :shifty:

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:57pm
Mimi wrote:

:lol: Ask Sheldon and Howard.

There's nothing wrong with the way they dress. It just seems weird that they're dressed like that at work. But that's just me. I would think business casual would be more appropriate, but I haven't been on a campus since I graduated in '96.

So...it's not just me: https://www.google.com/search?q=why+do+ ... dpr=1#ip=1

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 1:20pm
revbob wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:57pm
Mimi wrote:

:lol: Ask Sheldon and Howard.

There's nothing wrong with the way they dress. It just seems weird that they're dressed like that at work. But that's just me. I would think business casual would be more appropriate, but I haven't been on a campus since I graduated in '96.

So...it's not just me: https://www.google.com/search?q=why+do+ ... dpr=1#ip=1
Coivd has led to a more relaxed dress code. Sometimes Im the only one in the building so what does it matter. But precovid a polo or button down shirt with pants that weren't jeans was the norm for the guys in the office and women dressed in a similarly casual to professional way. I mostly dress the same way now but probably wear jeans more than I used to.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 12:18pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Generally women dress professional or business-casual. Men are all over the place, from suits to hobo. I'm especially in the hobo spectrum—t-shirt, jeans, Chucks, either a cardigan or long-sleeve shirt (usually plaid). In some respects, I look like a stereotypical slacker from the 90s. While it makes me comfortable—wearing a suit would make me uptight—it also tends to relax students and, I think, better sells my dorky delivery.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 2:43pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Generally women dress professional or business-casual. Men are all over the place, from suits to hobo. I'm especially in the hobo spectrum—t-shirt, jeans, Chucks, either a cardigan or long-sleeve shirt (usually plaid). In some respects, I look like a stereotypical slacker from the 90s. While it makes me comfortable—wearing a suit would make me uptight—it also tends to relax students and, I think, better sells my dorky delivery.
I agree with that.

I can't remember which department this guy was in, but there was one professor at my school who'd wear jodhpurs and a hunting jacket to class.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 3:04pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
I agree with that.

I can't remember which department this guy was in, but there was one professor at my school who'd wear jodhpurs and a hunting jacket to class.
It is a gendered thing, tho. Women who dress too casually are seen as unprofessional. The Boss knows this all too well. They have to dress seriously to be taken seriously (and not just by males students and colleagues). But as a guy, by surrendering my seriousness of appearance (ha! like I ever had any), I get credit for being more approachable. The double-standard is bullshit, but if it aids me pedagogically, of course I'll continue to go hobo.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 3:20pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I agree with that.

It is a gendered thing, tho. Women who dress too casually are seen as unprofessional. The Boss knows this all too well. They have to dress seriously to be taken seriously (and not just by males students and colleagues). But as a guy, by surrendering my seriousness of appearance (ha! like I ever had any), I get credit for being more approachable. The double-standard is bullshit, but if it aids me pedagogically, of course I'll continue to go hobo.
I was going to bring that up but I was working and felt lazy. It's a fair point.

I double dog dare you to dress in fox hunting clothes. lol

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Mimi wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 3:26pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
24 Jan 2023, 3:20pm
Mimi wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Mimi wrote:

I agree with that.

I was going to bring that up but I was working and felt lazy. It's a fair point.

I double dog dare you to dress in fox hunting clothes. lol
He should dress like Elmer Fudd.