Am I a Hobo?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.

Am I a hobo?

Nice bindlestiff, you bum, now hit the rails
13%
You may be the greatest recycler ever, a tribute to the future
48%
The Replacements, "Black Diamond"
39%

Total votes: 23

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Am I a Hobo?

Post by Dr. Medulla »

No, wait, you have to hear context before responding.

A couple months ago, I walked to a nearby pharmacy and on the sidewalk was a pair of earmuffs. Perfectly fine, not torn or bloody or what have you. I thought, okay, if they're still there when I come back in about 20 mins, I'll claim them. Give the owner time to return or someone more daring than I. They were and I did. Took them home, put 'em thru the wash, look like new. Coincidentally, I used them for the first time yesterday.

And, in one of my classrooms, since the very first day near the podium there's been a scarf. Plain forest green, quite nice material. Day after day, week after week, it hasn't moved. Finally, yesterday I decided, fuck it, and shoved it in my book bag. I don't even wear scarves, tho that last horrible blast of cold made me think I should better cover my face on days like that. The Boss seems to think I'm a hobo, but I figure if no one else is going to claim something after a long time, fine, I will.

I also habitually claim abandoned pens in classrooms. My book bag has around 10 pens of various origin in it.

So, would I be able to scratch coded warnings to people on fence posts or not?
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: Am I a Hobo?

Post by Mimi »

Heh. I followed someone on IG who did this. She'd walk around her city and just pick things up if she saw them on the ground or go through the trash piles on the sidewalk before the garbage trucks came by. Half of the stuff in her house was recycled. I couldn't do it, but I do admire those who can. I'll shop at thrift stores no problem, but if it's lying on the ground? I'll pass.

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

I didn't want to read the story before declaring you a hobo, but I actually think you're more of a Punk House guy, which I respect.

I'll occasionally snag an abandoned item like the ones you describe if they're clearly forgotten. Why just let that stuff become trash?
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Hello,

I am the same way with my classes. The most common item is a phone charger/USB cable. I put them up front for a month or so - if there's no takers, I'll put it to use myself.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Well we know your position on sidewalk ear muffs but whats your position on sidewalk ham?

Also if you come across an Alternative Tentacles hat its mine and you better give it back.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 10:51am
Hello,

I am the same way with my classes. The most common item is a phone charger/USB cable. I put them up front for a month or so - if there's no takers, I'll put it to use myself.
I’ve got a couple usb drives that way. I first ask my class if anyone lots one then leave them at the podium. If they’re still there at the end of term, they’re mine.
revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 10:55am
Well we know your position on sidewalk ear muffs but whats your position on sidewalk ham?

Also if you come across an Alternative Tentacles hat its mine and you better give it back.
No to sidewalk ham, too fucking bad about the AT hat, it’s mine now.
"I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung." - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 11:00am
gkbill wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 10:51am
Hello,

I’ve got a couple usb drives that way. I first ask my class if anyone lots one then leave them at the podium. If they’re still there at the end of term, they’re mine.
Id caution against this practice. You never know what nasties may be on those things. Seriously they are cheap enough to buy new please dont do this. Especially i you're going to go to te IT department and say "I dont know what happened, I didn't do anything... etc. I know you're a Mac guy but you're not immune. Especially against a targeted attack. For instance pretend I hate you or have an axe to grind. I know that you do this, I know other things about you so I leave one of these behind with some malware targeted towards MacOS. Then sit back and wait.

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 10:55am

No to sidewalk ham, too fucking bad about the AT hat, it’s mine now.
[/quote]

I know where you live...sort of.

Also no I wont where clothes I picked up off the street, even after washing them. The scarf sounds ok.

WestwayKid
Unknown Immortal

Post by WestwayKid »

We're kind of obsessive about not wasting much around my house. If something can be fixed or repurposed, it does, so I'm behind claiming and reusing items like ear muffs and pens and USB drives.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." - Oscar Gamble

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 11:25am
Id caution against this practice. You never know what nasties may be on those things. Seriously they are cheap enough to buy new please dont do this. Especially i you're going to go to te IT department and say "I dont know what happened, I didn't do anything... etc. I know you're a Mac guy but you're not immune. Especially against a targeted attack. For instance pretend I hate you or have an axe to grind. I know that you do this, I know other things about you so I leave one of these behind with some malware targeted towards MacOS. Then sit back and wait.
Hmm, good point and something I’d never thought of. Would I be at risk just plugging it in but not clicking on any file? That is, just re-formatting it?
I know where you live...sort of.
When my igloo melts in July, you’ll have no way of finding me!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

WestwayKid wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 11:43am
We're kind of obsessive about not wasting much around my house. If something can be fixed or repurposed, it does, so I'm behind claiming and reusing items like ear muffs and pens and USB drives.
https://www.redteamsecure.com/blog/usb- ... umb-drives

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Nah, I’ve had some decent ground scores myself (though not clothing). I’m not above snagging something out of a trash pile either, and I don't consider myself a hobo. I picked a lawn mower out of my neighbor’s trash a couple years ago when he was moving (with his permission) - just needed a new o-ring on the carb, and after 20 minutes of work, I flipped it for 80 bucks. I also grabbed a kickass solid brass table lamp out of another pile that the owner threw out because they couldn’t get a broken light bulb out of the socket. Amazing what people throw out because they don’t know how to fix things. I’ve actually built a decent hoard of trash-picked scrap copper over the years, and when the price of copper goes to the moon, I’ll be the one laughing. Now enough talking…

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 11:44am
revbob wrote:
Hmm, good point and something I’d never thought of. Would I be at risk just plugging it in but not clicking on any file? That is, just re-formatting it?
A piece of code could be executed before you have a chance to format. They are cheap buy a few.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 12:00pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
A piece of code could be executed before you have a chance to format. They are cheap buy a few.
Okay, thanks.

Or I'll reformat on a university computer. :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 12:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Okay, thanks.

What is university policy on installing found usb devices?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 12:16pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
08 Feb 2023, 12:04pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Okay, thanks.

What is university policy on installing found usb devices?
If I don't know it, I can't be held responsible, right?