Am I a Hobo?

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.

Am I a hobo?

Nice bindlestiff, you bum, now hit the rails
13%
You may be the greatest recycler ever, a tribute to the future
48%
The Replacements, "Black Diamond"
39%

Total votes: 23

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Re: Am I a Hobo?

Post by Sparky »

Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 12:13pm
Sparky wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:27am
Kimmelweck wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 11:13am
Hey everybody! I found my hobo knife!* It was in a box of old junk in the cellar – no idea what it was doing there. Take a gander at this thing and tell me you don’t have the immediate urge to open a can of pork’n’beans, cook ‘em in the can, and warsh it down with a bottle or two of cheap wine. I count at least 11 or 12 apps on this baby. And I‘ve got an active railroad less than 200 feet away from my front door. So…fucking…tempting….

hoboknife1.jpg

*Full disclosure: I’ve only done a limited amount of recreational hobo-ing and I have no idea how I acquired this thing. Maybe I got it for a buck at a flea market…or maybe I drunkenly choked-out a hobo for his prized hobo knife. I…simply…don’t…know… Cool though, huh?
Damn, that things got just about everything any hobo could long for. On a serious note, looks pretty damn cool, may even be a vintage WWII collectible.

https://www.horsesoldier.com/products/e ... ives/18987
Yeah, wow, the knife in the link looks like pretty much the exact same thing as mine. That makes it maybe 80 years old or so? I wonder if mine's seen any action - either hobo or combat.
Given it's good condition, it probably wasn't owned by a common hobo, more than likely an upscale vagabond.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 12:32pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Hey everybody! I found my hobo knife!* It was in a box of old junk in the cellar – no idea what it was doing there. Take a gander at this thing and tell me you don’t have the immediate urge to open a can of pork’n’beans, cook ‘em in the can, and warsh it down with a bottle or two of cheap wine. I count at least 11 or 12 apps on this baby. And I‘ve got an active railroad less than 200 feet away from my front door. So…fucking…tempting….

hoboknife1.jpg

*Full disclosure: I’ve only done a limited amount of recreational hobo-ing and I have no idea how I acquired this thing. Maybe I got it for a buck at a flea market…or maybe I drunkenly choked-out a hobo for his prized hobo knife. I…simply…don’t…know… Cool though, huh?
Damn, that things got just about everything any hobo could long for. On a serious note, looks pretty damn cool, may even be a vintage WWII collectible.

Yeah, wow, the knife in the link looks like pretty much the exact same thing as mine. That makes it maybe 80 years old or so? I wonder if mine's seen any action - either hobo or combat.
Given it's good condition, it probably wasn't owned by a common hobo, more than likely an upscale vagabond.
Wait, could I be a vagabond? Is this something I can just claim as an identity or do others have to confer it on me? Cos I am so up for being a vagabond.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Mimi wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 12:14pm
Kimmelweck wrote:

hoboknife1.jpg

12 apps... :lol:
“Apps” being the modern term for “thingamajiggers”... :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Sparky
Unknown Immortal

Post by Sparky »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 12:55pm
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

hoboknife1.jpg

Wait, could I be a vagabond? Is this something I can just claim as an identity or do others have to confer it on me? Cos I am so up for being a vagabond.
Well, the old interweb search gave the the following, which leads me to believe you fall in to the category of hobo.

Is vagabond and hobo the same?
There is some overlap in the definitions of “vagabond” and “hobo”, but there are also some key distinctions. A vagabond is someone who wanders from place to place without a permanent home or job, while a hobo is someone who travels in search of work. So generally speaking, a vagabond is more likely to be unemployed and homeless, while a hobo may have a job but still travel around looking for better opportunities.
God, what a mess, on the ladder of success
Where you take one step and miss the whole first rung

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Sparky wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 2:11pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Well, the old interweb search gave the the following, which leads me to believe you fall in to the category of hobo.

There is some overlap in the definitions of “vagabond” and “hobo”, but there are also some key distinctions. A vagabond is someone who wanders from place to place without a permanent home or job, while a hobo is someone who travels in search of work. So generally speaking, a vagabond is more likely to be unemployed and homeless, while a hobo may have a job but still travel around looking for better opportunities.
"Well, dear, I don't think I can apply to teach next year. I wish to be a vagabond."

gkbill
Unknown Immortal

Post by gkbill »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 2:30pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

"Well, dear, I don't think I can apply to teach next year. I wish to be a vagabond."
Hello,

Where does adjunct fit in?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

gkbill wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 3:58pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 2:30pm
Sparky wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Sparky wrote:

Hello,

Where does adjunct fit in?
Depends on terminology. I think I might be considered adjunct in some systems. Basically I have to apply for classes each year, tho in many cases the courses are "mine."

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The Boss is in Glasgow right now at a conference and said a hobo proposed to her. It appears that she's sticking with the vagabond she knows rather than see whether the other bindle contains greater wealth.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

I seem to remember that the character Charlie Chaplin played in those silent films was referred to as a "vagabond". One of the films he was in was called "The Vagabond". Not sure if this helps in the distinctions.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
10 Jun 2023, 2:36pm
The Boss is in Glasgow right now at a conference and said a hobo proposed to her. It appears that she's sticking with the vagabond she knows rather than see whether the other bindle contains greater wealth.
Must not have been a royalist. :shifty:

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
But….a mystery hobo could turn out to be anything. Even a vagabond. :huh: :crazy:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Olaf
Unknown Immortal

Post by Olaf »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss is in Glasgow right now at a conference and said a hobo proposed to her.
It seems TB is more of a vagabond than you are.
Who pfaffed the pfaff? Who got pfaffed tonight?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Olaf wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 6:13am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
The Boss is in Glasgow right now at a conference and said a hobo proposed to her.
She's more of a galavanter.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 6:18am
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good for her. I barely have the energy of a nomad/floater these days.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 6:31am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
11 Jun 2023, 6:18am
Olaf wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Good for her. I barely have the energy of a nomad/floater these days.
Just don't debase yourself to the status of gadabout.