The Good Takes, The Bad Takes and The Queen Takes

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
BostonBeaneater
Autonomous Insect Cyborg Sentinel

The Good Takes, The Bad Takes and The Queen Takes

Post by BostonBeaneater »

Golly
Attachments
41620CA5-2B8E-4189-B367-E089C17E7981.jpeg

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Re: The Good Takes, The Bad Takes and The Queen Takes

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Wait … he's setting us up for a wicked punchline.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Flex
Mechano-Man of the Future

Post by Flex »

BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 6:51pm
Golly
That's a worse take than anything Steve Albini ever said, that's for sure.
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a bowl of soup
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a rolling hoop
Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle like a ton of lead
Wiggle - you can raise the dead

Pex Lives!

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Sarcasm?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

And now we wait for other people on the board to show up and call us neanderthals! :shifty:

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 7:02pm
And now we wait for other people on the board to show up and call us neanderthals! :shifty:
I've been called worse. Why just today I was called a French tabernacle

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 7:17pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Does Haitian French use tabernac as a swear? Just curious if your missus has ever used it.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 7:26pm
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Does Haitian French use tabernac as a swear? Just curious if your missus has ever used it.
In French class in high school we had a French exchange student who we called “Freddy”. He chief contribution to the class was that he taught us little assholes how to say “va te faire enculer” and "suce ma bite". Good ol' Freddy.
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 7:32pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
In French class in high school we had a French exchange student who we called “Freddy”. He chief contribution to the class was that he taught us little assholes how to say “va te faire enculer” and "suce ma bite". Good ol' Freddy.
I did French immersion in junior high and high school—I received a certificate (long since lost) that claims I was bilingual (no, really!)—and of course what we used the really good classroom French-English dictionary for was looking up swear words. It's kinda funny, in retrospect, that the first thing we wanted to know was how to tell someone to go fuck themselves.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 7:49pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I did French immersion in junior high and high school—I received a certificate (long since lost) that claims I was bilingual (no, really!)—and of course what we used the really good classroom French-English dictionary for was looking up swear words. It's kinda funny, in retrospect, that the first thing we wanted to know was how to tell someone to go fuck themselves.
None of us ever got to be very good at French pronunciation in our high school classes (I took 5 years of French from middle school/junior high to high school), so we could get away with working those phrases into our responses to our French teacher. She’d look confused for a moment, and say “une fois de plus?” And then we’d say something else to throw her off. I remember laughing so hard and uncontrollably in that class that on more than one occasion she’d ask me to lay my head on the desk and gather myself for 5 or 10 minutes. :mrgreen:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

revbob
Unknown Immortal

Post by revbob »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
She's aware of these things but as far as she knows it is unique to the Canadian Francophones

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

revbob wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 8:06pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
She's aware of these things but as far as she knows it is unique to the Canadian Francophones
That was my vague understanding—Quebecois French.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
revbob wrote:

None of us ever got to be very good at French pronunciation in our high school classes (I took 5 years of French from middle school/junior high to high school), so we could get away with working those phrases into our responses to our French teacher. She’d look confused for a moment, and say “une fois de plus?” And then we’d say something else to throw her off. I remember laughing so hard and uncontrollably in that class that on more than one occasion she’d ask me to lay my head on the desk and gather myself for 5 or 10 minutes. :mrgreen:
I had two practice teachers in my six years of immersion, poor bastards from Quebec sent out west to see what we heathens would do to their language (as many issues as I have with the Quebecois culture and politics, the French language is certainly beautiful). One guy (whom I just googled; he's still teaching French to the barbarians, but in Ontario) we teased mercilessly. The "huh" H sound doesn't exist in French, so he was talking about how "just because you 'ate someone, you don't 'ave to kill them," to which we asked whether Quebeckers ate people alive. He kept on saying, "'ate not ate." He deserved so much better than fuckwits in smalltown Saskatchewan.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 8:36pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

I had two practice teachers in my six years of immersion, poor bastards from Quebec sent out west to see what we heathens would do to their language (as many issues as I have with the Quebecois culture and politics, the French language is certainly beautiful). One guy (whom I just googled; he's still teaching French to the barbarians, but in Ontario) we teased mercilessly. The "huh" H sound doesn't exist in French, so he was talking about how "just because you 'ate someone, you don't 'ave to kill them," to which we asked whether Quebeckers ate people alive. He kept on saying, "'ate not ate." He deserved so much better than fuckwits in smalltown Saskatchewan.
I took an early year of French at the end of middle school (8th grade), so was a year ahead when I got to high school. In high school we were only required to take 3 years of a foreign language, but since a couple buddies and I were already a year ahead, and we more or less enjoyed it, we made it to a fifth year of French by our senior year. Since we had made it that far, our French teacher thought of us as some of her best students and we could get away with all kinds of shit. And yeah, she deserved way better than us. The French language is beautiful, but in hindsight, I wish I’d taken 5 years of Spanish, as I’d have had more opportunities to actually use it over the last 30+ years.

weller259
Pitch Clock Appreciator
Location: He's A Real Nowhere Man, Sitting In His Nowhere Land

Post by weller259 »

Flex wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 6:54pm
BostonBeaneater wrote:
20 Feb 2023, 6:51pm
Golly
That's a worse take than anything Steve Albini ever said, that's for sure.
Steve Albini? Never heard of him.
From what I see there's still a little hope
That's if we don't hang from too much rope