AI-yi-yi

Sweet action for kids 'n' cretins. Marjoram and capers.
Mimi
Goddess of the Underworld

Re: AI-yi-yi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:17pm
Mimi wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 1:53pm
Mimi wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 1:42pm
Well, this is scary.

Where's the blow-your-brains-out emoji? All the upsides of the technology that people cite feel so minuscule compared to the horrible possible uses. As the technology improves, could you also fake a hostage video? Of course.
I'm sure it's going to get worse before they put the kibosh on it, but by then it'll be too late.
Who's the "they" here? Actors for other nations could use that to spread chaos here. That is, even if governmental/court action banned or restricted the use, there are other nations or non-national groups who would recognize it as a valuable tool.
Ack. I wasn't thinking globally for some stupid reason...which is what you were talking about. Good golly, I need to stop posting while doing five other things at once. I'm getting really bad with this. lol

Yes, other nations/groups are going to have good times with this. We're not going to know who to trust. If we think disinformation is bad now, we're in for a real treat. I feel so badly for the younguns.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:31pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:17pm
Mimi wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 2:02pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 1:53pm
Mimi wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 1:42pm
Well, this is scary.

Where's the blow-your-brains-out emoji? All the upsides of the technology that people cite feel so minuscule compared to the horrible possible uses. As the technology improves, could you also fake a hostage video? Of course.
I'm sure it's going to get worse before they put the kibosh on it, but by then it'll be too late.
Who's the "they" here? Actors for other nations could use that to spread chaos here. That is, even if governmental/court action banned or restricted the use, there are other nations or non-national groups who would recognize it as a valuable tool.
Ack. I wasn't thinking globally for some stupid reason...which is what you were talking about. Good golly, I need to stop posting while doing five other things at once. I'm getting really bad with this. lol

Yes, other nations/groups are going to have good times with this. We're not going to know who to trust. If we think disinformation is bad now, we're in for a real treat. I feel so badly for the younguns.
I don't know if they're better equipped or worse because they are so plugged into online life. My gut says worse, but I can't be confident about that guess.
"Grab some wood, bub.'" - Richard Nixon, Checkers Speech, abandoned early draft

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

That's adorable, but, no, there is no pause for the same reason there was no pause on developing nuclear weapons to exterminate everything. Technological development has a momentum of its own; things are pursued because they must be pursued. Even insane, lunatic, terrible ideas must be followed thru because someone else will and that gives them an edge.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 8:28pm
That's adorable, but, no, there is no pause for the same reason there was no pause on developing nuclear weapons to exterminate everything. Technological development has a momentum of its own; things are pursued because they must be pursued. Even insane, lunatic, terrible ideas must be followed thru because someone else will and that gives them an edge.
I think at this point I just wanna be a hunter/gatherer who lives in the woods. As long as I can get good cell service in the woods. :shifty:
The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 8:39pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
I think at this point I just wanna be a hunter/gatherer who lives in the woods. As long as I can get good cell service in the woods. :shifty:
A friend of mine, right after Trump was elected, started investigating the viability of living in the woods, away from all of society. He's still living in civilization, so I don't think he was encouraged.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 8:51pm
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
A friend of mine, right after Trump was elected, started investigating the viability of living in the woods, away from all of society. He's still living in civilization, so I don't think he was encouraged.
If late-60s American sitcoms are any indication, I think I could make it work. :shifty:

The chair is against the wall. The chair is against the wall. John has a long mustache. John has a long mustache.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
29 Mar 2023, 8:59pm
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
If late-60s American sitcoms are any indication, I think I could make it work. :shifty:

Son, they lied to you. That's not how it would be at all.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 6:26am
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What's that Doc? I can't hear ya!

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Kimmelweck wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 8:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:

What that show really demonstrated was the incompetence of the welfare state. Over and over, private citizens found the castaways, but not once could the efforts of big government locate them.

Kimmelweck
Graffiti Bandit Pioneer

Post by Kimmelweck »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 8:52am
Kimmelweck wrote:
30 Mar 2023, 8:32am
Dr. Medulla wrote:
Kimmelweck wrote:
Dr. Medulla wrote:

What that show really demonstrated was the incompetence of the welfare state. Over and over, private citizens found the castaways, but not once could the efforts of big government locate them.

Mimi

Post by Mimi »

But would Edward Herrman have liked this?

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

Mimi wrote:
11 Apr 2023, 2:30pm
But would Edward Herrman have liked this?

This is a perfect example of something where I'd personally like the option, but recognize its availability as a bad thing for those who make a living as narrators. There are lots of books where there is no audio version and I'd like to be able to listen to—there is some automatic stuff that does it, but it's in a robotic voice that even Flex would scorn—but using stuff like that would eventually end people's livelihoods.

Dr. Medulla
Atheistic Epileptic

Post by Dr. Medulla »

The dystopia continues to unmask itself: https://www.nme.com/news/music/heres-a- ... ai-3432125

Silent Majority
Singer-Songwriter Nancy

Post by Silent Majority »

Dr. Medulla wrote:
19 Apr 2023, 6:21am
The dystopia continues to unmask itself: https://www.nme.com/news/music/heres-a- ... ai-3432125
The lawyers will, doing something good for once, shortly be chasing this kind of stuff down.
a lifetime serving one machine
Is ten times worse than prison

www.pexlives.libsyn.com/